Monday, October 19, 2009

U2. Me too.

Yesterday morning, when we woke up, Husband and I rolled over to face each other. We bared our teeth, shrugged our shoulders up to our ears, and performed a joint version of “hee-hee, hee-hee, hee-hee” in true Mutley style. Yesterday was the day we were parking our kids with friends, and heading off to a U2 concert. They were performing in Norman, Oklahoma, which (in case you’re as ignorant as I was) is the home of the University of Oklahoma, and – importantly for U2 - has a big stadium.

We booked the tickets a few weeks ago, to give us something to look forward to, in the depths of chemotherapy. Yesterday it felt weird to be going, rather than looking forward to going. The mirage in the distance had become the reality of the present moment. We had had an anxious spell earlier in the week when 12-yo, who has the constitution of an ox (an unwritten one, as all the best ones are) and is almost never ill, got ill. For 24 hours, I thought “ah, this is just one of those 24 hour things”. For the next 24 hours, I thought “this child is never ill, how can he be ill with 2 days to go before the U2 concert?” For the third 24 hours, I stood him upright, and slapped him regularly to bring the colour back to his cheeks, and that seemed to do the trick.

My relationship with U2 got off to a bad start. The guy who had the room next to mine in my second year at university was a big fan, and played their music too loud and too often. And when I say ‘their music’, I mean ‘the one track he played of their music’. So I was subjected to In the Name of Love several times a day, and as the weeks wore on, my enthusiasm for U2 waned. Over a decade later, I was reintroduced to their music, when I married Husband who had been a faithful U2 fan.

I’ve never been a rock concert kind of a gal. I did go and hear B A Robertson perform in Borehamwood (oh yes) when I was about 17, but I don’t feel that qualifies me to critique U2’s show. If you want a description and reviews, I’m sure Google can supply them. And of the Black Eyed Peas, who were supporting. I’ll just give you my perspective.

It was fabulous. What more can I say? I loved the show: the drama, the excitement, the atmosphere of the big crowd, the enthusiasm of the college town audience. I loved the music: the familiarity of the old songs, the energy of the new. And Bono. What a hero. There’s a bit of a bloggers’ debate going on about his shades, but I have to say I like those shades.

The show was designed to be accessible 360 degrees. A rock concert in the round. (Novel idea, but hang on, didn’t Shakespeare come up with something similar all those centuries ago?). The band performed in the middle of the stadium, under a huge spaceship-like structure with a wrap-around video screen. Bono described it as enabling them to be more intimate with the audience. “Intimacy on a grand scale”, he said. With 50,000 people there, I didn’t think that ‘intimacy’ was quite the right word, but then our seats were right at the top of the stands. Certainly I did feel drawn in, connected, part of the show.

I saw Bono and The Edge interviewed by Jonathan Ross a few weeks ago, promoting the tour, and one thing stuck powerfully in my mind. Bono said that much of U2’s music was about joy, and he thought people didn’t know how to respond to that, because there isn’t generally a lot of joy in rock music. So last night, I listened for the joy in the music. And I heard it. There’s anger, aggression, edginess, sadness too. But I’m glad Bono had pointed out the joy, because for me, this was an evening of celebration.

Bono said that U2 last performed in Norman, Oklahoma, 26 years ago. That would have been one year before my repetitive exposure to In the Name of Love. During that time, I have graduated, had several different jobs, married, had three children, lived in ten different homes in six different towns, started a blog… And all they’ve been doing is singing, recording and touring. Poor old U2. What a very samey time they’ve had of it.

This is not doing the evening justice, but I am tired after the long journeys and the late night (still not quite back to my full energy levels), and Husband has plied me with a glass of red wine which he misguidedly thought would help the writing flow. I’m trying to think of a clever quote from U2 lyrics to finish the post off with, but I can’t. Oh, I know. You’ll enjoy this. When I got back, I looked at the U2 website, and noticed that Paris was on the list of venues. Full of excitement, I emailed my brother who lives in Paris (long-time readers of my blog will remember he used to comment as Charlesinparis).

“You have to go to U2” I gushed. “They’re going to be at the Stade de France on September 18th. You absolutely have to get tickets. Now.”

Don’t laugh at me too hard. An evening of intimacy with Bono - it can be a disorientating experience.

.

7 comments:

  1. Hee-hee indeed! Sounds fantabulous! Did you spot from their website when U2 are playing Basingstoke? Glad it was so good

    And what about the shadowy CharlesinParis then? Did he stop reading? Or does he just lurk now? I always thought he sounded rather charming...

    love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've gone past Chicago -- while I was in CowTown. :) (p.s., the part about having an unwritten constitution of ox is going to go down as one of my favorite lines.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know what I think about Bono. ;-)

    I actually went to one of their concerts one time, too, as my husband is also a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very jealous. I am a big fan of U2 and am currently playing 'All that you can't leave behind' on loop in the car (it has a song about New York that seems appropriate). I think we missed them in NY recently, am not organised enough with babysitting to do that kind of thing yet, but would love to see them in concert. I'm glad that you had such a fabulous evening after the traumas of the last few months, Iota.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been a fan for 25 yrs;o) Love 'em, but never been to a concert of thhirs. Not a rock concert kinda gal either (more to do with largg crowds & loud noise tho!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was supposed to go when they played Chicago but our tickets "fell through". At least that's what the agent said when she didn't come through with them. So disappointed.
    BTW, why did I think you were in Ohio?

    ReplyDelete
  7. U2 is great! Sounds like it was a wonderful night out and I hope you enjoyed it! I wished we could have seen U2 here in the UK on their tour but we missed them.....maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete