Thursday, October 22, 2009

Festivals

One of the things that is very noticeable about living in America is how much more effort they put into celebrating festivals. Houses are decorated, schools have parties, the ‘seasonal’ aisles in stores are filled with appropriate merchandise (although that happens well in advance of the festival itself, as if those aisles are in their own private time zone).

My personal theory is that we don’t need the excitement of festivals so much in Britain, as our school year is organized differently. We are never more than a few weeks away from a holiday (Christmas, Easter, summer) or half-term. If you need something to look forward to – and don’t we all? – then you have lots of scope to arrange a day out, a trip, a visit to or from relations, a holiday, something to break up the routine. Over here, there’s a 2-week Christmas holiday, a week’s Spring break, and otherwise, all the school holiday is in a great long 12-week stretch over the summer. (I know I've talked about this before so I'm sorry to be repetitive, but it really does make such a big difference to life.) There are occasional days off, but it’s just not the same as having a long week-end, or a half-term week. I mean to say, if your children returned to school on August 17th, and their only break before Christmas was 3 days holiday in late November, wouldn’t you need a few events to get excited about?

Each festival has a colour associated with it. At the time of the relevant festival, the stores have a rash of that colour dotted through them. Cupcakes have the theme colour icing, there are a couple of racks of children's clothing in it, there'll be a sprinkling of it in the adult clothing section too, homewares will sport the colour in paper plates, tableclothes, napkins, and candles, and there'll be plenty of novelty goods spattered around in that same colour too. I was thinking about this, and I reckon every feasible colour is accounted for. Here’s the list:

Valentine’s Day: red and pink
St Patrick’s Day: green
Easter: yellow (and pastel shades generally)
Memorial Day and Fourth of July: red, white and blue
Hallowe’en: orange, black and purple
Christmas: green and red.

It really only leaves brown and grey unused. They’re not very festive colours, so it’s not surprising. I suppose Labor Day could adopt them, to represent the drudgery of work. But I have a better plan for them. I’m working on a ‘British Day’ celebration when we could put them to use. It would have to be 4th January, ie the opposite to 4th July. The grey would symbolize the British weather, and the brown the British countryside, (ideally we’d want to use green for that, but that’s already taken by St Patrick and the Irish and in January, the British countryside is more brown than green anyway).

I think I’m going to have an uphill battle getting this one universally adopted, especially so soon after the Christmas season. On the other hand, those seasonal aisles are pretty purposeless in January. It’s a good six weeks till Valentine’s Day. I’m sure the major retailers would welcome a January festival. No-one will have grey and brown paraphernalia stored away in their closets, so this would present an opportunity for significant new purchasing. Perhaps I should write to Target and Wal-mart and see if I can get something started (and yes, I know I’d have to spell it ‘gray’ for their benefit).

.

15 comments:

  1. I think you are onto something there! You could have British umbrellas and wellies to represent the rain and eat shepherd's pie and apple crumble. And teach people how to form orderly queues and complain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although whatever you do, don't try and persuade them to include our national dress...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh don't say that about England's green and pleasant land!! Is that really the best we cd do to represent the U.K?? I think it wd be far better to have an Irony day. Maybe the men have to wear pink & the women baby blue, bit weak, but don't know what an ironic colour wd look like........ I guess a British Irony day in America WOULD be grey & brown; just no one wd realise it was Irony day & not British Weather & Mud Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iota -- Brown is for Thanksgiving! It's what the Pilgrims wore, of course, when they stole the land from the Indians. Brown and white. And the Indians (ahemm.....PC "Native Americans") wore beautiful feathers of all colors like orange and red. (This is all bunk, but that's what we tell the kiddies.)

    The best part about Thanksgiving? It's the only major US holiday (where you actually get off work/school unlike Halloween) where there are no obligatory religious, political, or gift-giving obligations. It's really all about the food, or if you ask the men in my family -- the football.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love decorating, it's my favourite thing about living here, I can put stuff all over my house and no-one cares.

    I'll do British Day with you - I'll keep 6th January free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I found your blog (and CalifLorna's too)!

    I'm an American living in England, and I love reading about your adventures as a British Mummy in Yankee Land.

    I find the school year here hard to adjust to and I miss the looooong summer holiday in the US. Next week is autumn half term and I feel like school just started. But that's just me...the kids are growing up here so it's normal to them and they are happy, so that's all that is important.

    Enjoy the festivals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel - I had wondered about Thanksgiving and brown, but I wasn't sure. I haven't seen a lot of decorative stuff in brown. So UK day will just have to be grey, then.

    Tammie - I'm sure it feels very stop-start to you, and yes, I can imagine missing the long summer, if that's what you're used to. But the teachers say that the kids all forget so much over the summer, so I'm sure they would prefer the British system.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wouldn't that be St. George's Day? Can't quite remember when it is (March/April) but there's a big campaign to get it made a public holiday in England. We should definitely adopt it here. I think someone even sent me a t-shirt last year.
    BTW - Don't forget blue for Hannukah and those lovely bright colours for Kwaanza. Living in the city - we celebrate everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really interesting and I love the comments. I think a British Day would be very un-British but a good excuse for a party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know that about the holidays. Poor American kids. And yours. Ours are SO tired by the time the holidays arrive, they really need them. And I thought our ten weeks of summer holidays were plenty. 12 is just unimaginable.

    About the extra holiday - good idea, but you couldn't market it internationally, probably, because in most Catholic countries the Christmas season only truly ends on the sixth of January, which is the day of the Three Kings or Epiphany.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOu left out New Year's Eve - Colors are Black and Gold and silver.

    And Martin Luther King Day is January 21. Its not something people decorate for but I get that day off of work. :)

    On the timing of our school breaks.. I think its America's way of making sure kids adjust to only haveing 2 weeks vacation once they enter the work force. And we need the long summer so Middle Schoolers and older can take more courses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are as mad as a bloomin' hatter. There's a reason why brown and grEy got left out. Clue's in the word "celebration"!!!!!!!!!!!

    Love J'phine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post!

    In general the Brits don't have the storage space in their houses that Americans do to keep all their decorations from one holiday to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aside from Thanksgiving (brown, orange, and yellow - fall colors) and New Year's (black and silver) you also left out Mardi Gras (purple, green, and yellow - and yes, in New Orleans they put out wreaths and everything for the holiday!).

    Purple isn't technically a Halloween color, it's a new addition that doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete