Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Siblings

Day 27 of ‘The Daily Post’ (sorry, I’ve been forgetting to count).

Talking of Charlesinparis made me reflect on siblings. I am jolly glad I had siblings, because watching my own children would be rather shocking otherwise. I would probably take seriously statements like “You’re the worst brother in the world and I’m never going to let you use any of my things ever again”. I would psycho-analyse the reasons behind the name-calling, and the choice of names. I would agonise over setting appropriate boundaries to the physical violence. As it is, having grown up as one of four, I recognize much of what I see and hear from my own childhood. In the same way that I hear myself saying things that my mother said, I hear my children saying things that I and my siblings said.

I assume that most of this stuff is nature’s way of training children in conflict resolution, weathering knocks to self-esteem, and other useful life skills, much as puppies play at fighting and racing. And please don’t think that I assume children who are brought up as only children lack these skills. I imagine they learn them in more sophisticated environments involving fewer broken toys and broken deals.

Are you an only child with multiple children of your own? Has it been a big adjustment? I’d like to know.

Anyway, I thought I’d tell you about my siblings, and in particular what this summer has brought out.

My sister has sent me books. She has always chosen just right. She thinks I am more cultured and intellectual than I am, and gives me links to highbrow literary sites or tells me about operas she has been to. It's nice she has such unwaveringly high expectations of me, in defiance of the current evidence. It's also impressive that she chooses good books for me, in spite of her aspirations for my tastes. She emails me snippets from her London office life. She faithfully prints the blog out for my mum to read.

My big brother, Charlesinparis, has phoned a lot. When he phones, the conversation runs at 100mph, and is full of puns which are either very bad, or very obscure, or both. Who else out there would tie up the name of the anti-histamine medication Benadryl with the 70’s comedian Benny Hill? I have had over 40 years' practice at getting his puns, so I can keep up, and sometimes even pre-empt. It’s very gratifying. His conversational style is like the activity of a hummingbird. He dives in to a subject at breakneck speed, sucks the sweet nectar out of it while his wings work unbelievably fast to hold him steady, then departs to the next one in a dart that you could miss if you blinked. It's one of nature's greatest wonders.

Then there’s my younger bro, in Brighton. I used to make him get into my bed so that I could warm my cold feet up on his legs, when we were little and shared a bedroom. Now he is over six foot and beanpole thin, so I expect he has cold feet himself much of the time. He has a very laid back attitude to life, which is a great antidote to the manic majority. He has often provided for me some kind of still centre where I can go to catch breath when the storm is raging. In a recent email chat with him, I asked

“How can I tell whether I am suffering from chemo-induced fatigue, or whether I am just lazy and enjoy lounging round the house surfing the internet and not doing very much?”

To which he replied

“Why do you need to tell?”

I know I said to them "you're the worst siblings in the world and I'll never let you use any of my things". I was always the snark when we played ‘hunting of the snark’ (ok, ok, they knew I secretly enjoyed it). I was humiliated in arm wrestling contests. I used to hide in the garage when I wanted to be away from them. But it all came out in the wash, as you can see.

11 comments:

  1. I'm one of four. I love it (in hindsight of course) Wish my kids had more than one sibling. reminds me a bit of "About a Boy"when the kid, I forget his name, wants to make their family bigger cos it seems so insecure & vulnerable being only 2.
    I can relate to Charlesinparis. I talk 19 to the dozen & tend to make huge mental leaps betw subjects or filled in the missing 27 stages in my own mind & wonder why people don't know what I'm talking about....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart my brothers so much. We fought like cats and dogs growing up. And we can still push each others buttons: with me it's my weight, with middle bro it's that he never graduated and with little bro it's the nickname my mum inadvertently gave him one day and me and middle bro seized on it. We actively try not to push each others buttons these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the eldest of four. I used to wish I'd been an only child. We always fought. Now I love them so much it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your youngest brother sounds like a very cool dude, and the other two don't sound too bad either. Sending books? What, is your sister trying out for 'World's Best Sister (Much Better than PM Will Ever Be)' or something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love having my siblings and I love watching my kids being together. At my oldest son's 21st birthday this summer they all sat in the garden chatting and it was lovely to observe them being 'grown ups' together after all the years of bickering and conflict. It really does all come out ok in the end. though I do wish I has protected Ds2 more from DS1 who was very domineering, they now choose to share a flat.
    thanks for sharing
    much love Martine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm one of 2 but we had enough fights for 8 siblings. Love him now though (even though I don't much like his wife)!!! Shame. I never knew your brother lived in Brighton - right next time you're over here visiting you can pop to mine for a cuppa as well xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahh, a goodly tribute to your siblings. I'm always most concerned that my children always say they are either having no children, or maybe just one, or two, tops.

    Is it because I've created such an awful home life for them??!!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice family. I'm one of five (one sis and thre brothers) and my brothers would always hide and scare me. They're OK now. Except for the right-wing christian one, buit that's another story...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the eldest of two, but have always loved being a part of my mother's very big family (she is in the middle of 6), who all still live very close to each other. I don't have kids of my own yet, but hope that there will be a little brood of them, teasing, fighting, sharing and all. It's character building! (Or at least that's what I tell my brother it was for the years of teasing by my hand!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes it was an excellent childhood, I now see that.

    Chieldren can easily stay n touch because they're all there together (most of the time).

    Adult family ties are harder to keep going !

    Charlesinparis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! I'm the eldest of three, and I miss my sister and brother very much, if anything drags me back to the UK it will be the need to be closer to them. And yes, I used to bash my brothers head into the wall, and leave crescent shaped fingernail scars on my sisters arms, and bore reciprocal scars.

    ReplyDelete