Sunday, October 11, 2009

Conversation

Day 18 of 'The Daily Post'.

We had a rather surreal conversation last night over dinner. The initial topic of conversation had been cricket.

8-yo: What's a bavilion?

Me: A pavilion. With a 'P'. It's the building by a cricket pitch where the changing rooms are, where the players wait, where they have tea and snacks...

8-yo: No, not a pavilion. I know what a pavilion is. A bavilion.

[Pause]

Husband: It's probably what a top banker earns.

[Long pause]

8-yo: Is it really?

Me: No, that's just Daddy being funny.

12-yo: It's probably someone who comes from Bolivia.

Me: I think that would be a Bolivian. Not a Bovilian. Hm. 8-yo, can you tell me where you heard the word? What was the context?

8-yo: I don't think it can have meant someone from Bolivia. That doesn't make sense. It was on a video game, when Shadow said to the guy he was fighting "I'm going to beat you into a bavilion".

So actually, a Bolivian was closer to what 8-yo originally heard, than a pavilion. It was just the talk of cricket that side-tracked him.

Now I must write that post that I've been meaning to do for ages, on video games, violence and children.

7 comments:

  1. It's the words "conversation" and "dinner" that give you away...

    Love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHhh! OBLIVION, it took me a while....... It's Sunday my brain's switched off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And 11/10 to Daddy for funny. That was very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to read it 4 times to get it.

    obviously obvlivious, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha brilliant.
    I have the same problem with my son, no actually, my husband playing Medal of Honour with our 6 year old son.
    "Wouldn't it be cool to have a gun that could kill everyone just my thinking about pulling the trigger mummy?" My poor sweet innocent little boy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beaten into a Bolivian wouldn't be too good either....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. As a non-native, it took me about an hour to figure out what he was talking about. Looking forward to the conversations with my soon to be toddler daughter.

    ReplyDelete