Sunday, October 4, 2009

Paul's house

Day Eleven of 'The Daily Post' (and if it's not about laundry, it's about poo).

One of the anxieties of an expat is this: when I go home, will I find everything so changed that it won't feel like home any more? This is a valid concern. Things like this aggravate it.




I hate American tv commercials, and have always considered British ones very superior. But this is making me challenge my assumptions.

What worries me about this advert is why the mother seems quite happy to let her son go out of the house on his own. Are we to assume that Paul lives next door? And if so, why does he need a backpack?

I am also worried by Paul and his family. Do they open the door to this boy and say "Hi there, John, come for a poo again? Nice to see you."?

But most worrying of all is this. It must have been made by people who know nothing of small boys, otherwise they would be aware that most of them positively enjoy pooey smells. It would be more convincing if Paul was coming round to the stinky house to have a poo (though not so good for Glade's sales figures).

My only comfort is that there are some great remakes on Youtube.

11 comments:

  1. You really made me laugh! that ad makes me cringe every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I've noticed that the British ads are getting more and more like American ads. That is, a bit rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't worry Iota - there is hope. (Or at least, I think so). Check out the Virgin Atlantic ad here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS_6HHQ7jOA

    Is it sad to say I love it? The music, the portrayal of grim 80's Britain during the miner's strike, the other cultural references, the fact that the guy at the end is wearing the same glasses my dad used to... It's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UK telly is so rubbish that most of us (ha ha) only watch BBC 4 these days! No adverts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this! My sister has been mentioning this ad on facebook and I hadn't seen it - I agree US ads are abominable - especially the ones for drugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like an ad made by The Apprentice candidates.

    Besides, as you say, all boys seem to love the rankness of the smells that they can produce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No dont worry, there's still some pretty cool British ads! My parents are staying with me right now and I think they enjoy the ads more than the TV shows! Youre right this is a hideous ad. Dull.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious. I hadn't seen Poo at Paul's. Terrible ad (but I bet the agency that made it believe that it works because it's memorable - if something gets remade on YouTube, it's almost an accolade these days.....)

    There are some truly awful ads here. We still can't believe the one for Nutella that makes out that it's a really nutritious breakfast for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha. I really liked the remake. Catchy! And the music... deedeedee, poopoopoo, deedeedeeee...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say that I'm not a fan of adverts -- full stop. I've fallen in love with my DVR. Yes -- it isn't cheap, but I'd say being able to skip dumb ads about men's erectile dysfunction meds makes every penny worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find it a jolt to watch British ads compared to US ones. I do hate US ones, in general, though I may be entertained by one now and then. But British ads (and tv in general) are so much more risqué than I am use to. And a commercial that actually talks about pooing? Besides the whole other issues that you mention, about where does Paul live and why is it okay for him to go there to poo... Just weird. And it doesn't sell me on the air freshener, which in the end is the purpose. Oh well, I guess it's just one of those mysteries of the world...

    ReplyDelete