Saturday, October 17, 2009

Significant others

A friend of mine who had a boy, then a girl, was once discussing with me how lovely it was to have a daughter. She had been thrilled to have a son, of course, but what a relief to have a girl. “Boys are so… other”, she said. I hadn’t really felt that myself, and became increasingly annoyed throughout my third pregnancy, when people told me (often in front of my sons) “a girl would be nice”. Part of it was to do with the assumption that it is fun to have a mix, but I think some women do feel that a daughter is easier to relate to, and that sons are… other.

I was the other way round. I’d never been a girly girl. I had one dolly, given to me by a godmother, and I hated it. I never played with it, and I remember feeling a certain scorn for girls who did like playing with dollies. The same went for Barbie; I never owned even one. I had an older sister obsessed with pink and, fed up with pink hand-me-downs, I staked out blue as my favourite colour.

When I had sons, I found it easy to get into playing trains. I confess to relishing the challenge of creating a wooden track using all the different junctions and bridges we have accumulated over the years. I have become strangely fascinated by JCBs, I enjoy building Bionicles, and I’m quite partial to a light sabre fight.

When I had a daughter, I felt a little daunted by the whole idea of girly play, never really having practised it very much in my own childhood. I’ve tried my best. I have learnt to enjoy lining up small plastic things with over-sized heads that look like aliens but are marketed as Littlest Pet Shop animals. I’ve spent hours fiddling around with pieces of velcro the size of a lentil, in order to dress Barbie in microscopic fabric shapes that she thinks are clothes (doesn’t she have anything between her moulded plastic ears, for heaven’s sake?). I’ve had more pink in my laundry than I would agree to under torture. I have my hair done regularly by a small-fingered hairdresser standing on the chair behind me, as the only way to get a fair run at writing a blog post.

It’s a good thing we are designed to be flexible. It’s amazing how “other” you can become, when needs be.

8 comments:

  1. I was more of a tomboy too when I was a kid, but I didn't have any brothers. I had a daughter first and then a son and it is true that I enjoyed his toys more than my daughter's, though I did try to even it out as much as possible. She was not allowed to have a Barbie. Silly doll! I bought them both Legos, because I loved playing with them when I was a kid and they both got educational games and many books, but my son had a race track and I liked that a lot! My daughter complained in later years that her brother always got better toys than she did. Imagine my surprise. I had failed after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted a boy & love th e mother/son relationship. I was a mixture as a kid, I loved dolls, dolls houses, I loved making & sewing things, but I also loved sports, climbing trees, rocks, camping, but being 1 of 2 girls & 2 boys (my si s was an utter tomboy) we played altogether with trains, castles, soldiers etc & did loads of shows, hospitals, imaginary games. I also had zero interest in pink!
    I also hav eneve rliked girly girls & always felt drawn to toddler boys not girls, much less complicated, much less catty & much more endearing I always felt. BUT I surprised myself at how much I have loved having a gir, liked buying dresses for my little girl & seeing her dressing her, doing her hair, asking me about all my 'girl' things like what each bit of make up does. BUT I also love the fact that climbing tree s is he r favourite activity, PE is her favourite lesson & he rcurent fave game i s playing Star Wars games & dressing up a s Darth Vader

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister did the barbie thing, I did the lego thing. I'm not a pink fan, but I do love creative clothes, and when my firstborn (a son) came along, I noticed there is NOTHING exciting for boys to wear. My daughter was born 5 wks ago and she's my dolly already :-) been dressing her in some funky stuff and enjoying buying clothes for her. But what the heck do you DO with girls?? Me & Boy spend hours stood on the windowsill shouting "car! bike! van! bus!" etc, playing cars and trains, and generally being boisterous. I hope Missis likes all that stuff too when she gets bigger....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never a "girl", but having a girl was easier than expected for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, as you can probably tell, I'd love a daughter - but I wasn't really a girly girl either. I was quite tomboyish and enjoyed tree climbing and getting dirty. I did have Sindys (Barbies were just too girly) but ended up cutting their hair off and making them into punks. But I did love girls' literature and that is one thing I'll be sad about if I never have a girl - I can't imagine boys loving books like Anne of Green Gables and What Katy Did. I'm having to channel it to my nieces instead....

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the mum of three boys, I am constantly asked when am I going to try for that little girl?! I like to reply that not any time soon as I'm the only princess allowed in my house!! Seriously, it does get a little hurtful when people claim their families aren't complete till they had a girl? I'm more than happy and 300% complete with my gorgeous brood of boys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two boys and people can't help themselves asking 'I suppose you'll try for a girl next'. I answer 'No, I'll try for a baby, I don't mind what it is'. I'd be delighted with another boy or a girl, but I'm so used to boys I'd have no idea what to do with a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I was in labour with my 1st, the midwife asked me which I was hoping for - a boy or a girl. Without hesitation I replied Boy. The look she gave to tell me the correct answer was actually 'I don't mind as long as it's healthy' was clear, even through the haze of gas and air, but I got my little boy. Next time round I honestly didn't mind, which is strange for me as I like to have an opinion. It was a girl and so far I've done OK. There is the odd snippet of pink in the house and sometimes we can go round the whole of the supermarket without someone calling her a boy! She is wearing lilac, brown, cream and that lovely new invention 'coral' (named by people who've obviously not actually looked at much coral) by the way - not blue - but the fact that it's not pinnk is obviously enough. She's not reached the stage for dolls etc. but I'm fairly relaxed about that.. it's just the hair and make up I worry about. I've not got the hang of it decades after my tomboy youth and don't want to send her the same way.

    ReplyDelete