Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Letting it all hang out

Day Seven of 'The Daily Post'.

Since we’re on the subject of laundry, let’s talk washing lines. Green Stone Woman pointed out in reply to my last post that your need to iron is reduced if you tumble dry your clothes, and commented “It's different if your clothes dry outside on the line, but nobody in the States does that as far as I know”. Well there is one person who does that… One in 300 million… Yes, you’re reading her blog.

I know it’s all a question of what you’re used to, but it does seem to me ridiculous to put a load of laundry in a tumble dryer when it’s 95 degrees outside. There’s just something in me, that couldn’t, just couldn’t, use a machine to dry laundry, when drying conditions outside are so perfect. Perhaps to appreciate the luxury of it, you have to have lived in Scotland, and done your laundry according to the weather. You probably just wouldn’t understand, unless you’ve had the experience of listening to the weather forecast before putting on your washing machine, feeling smug as you hang your washing out in bright sunshine, and then sprinting out an hour later to rescue it as the rain begins to fall (only to find that it’s still very damp because the sunshine, though bright, didn’t actually have any useful warmth in it). Midwesterners don’t even have an excuse in winter, because they heat their houses so high, that washing would dry perfectly well on a rack. Many homes have a spacious laundry room where the rack could be left out of the way. It’s not as if the damp laundry would need to be draped on radiators round the home, British style.

I understand, from the blogs of Americans in Britain, that line drying leads to crunchy socks and rough towels. Toughen up, people. It was crunchy socks and rough towels that got our men off the beaches at Dunkirk, and made steady the hands of our archers at Agincourt. In return I say to you, at least fresh air doesn’t shrink all your clothes as the drier does, and making use of it will certainly shrink your electricity bill.

Hanging out the washing is one of the few household chores that is pleasurable. Why on earth would I give up that one, and give myself more time for all the other tedious jobs? It wouldn’t be that much more time in any case; hanging out the washing isn’t very time consuming. I’m not going to wax lyrical about how much I enjoy hanging out the washing, because that does sound a little pathetic, but I honestly would miss it, if I converted to tumblianity.

I’m not going to get on an environmental high horse. The thing is, round here, people look on a tumble drier as a standard modern day convenience, and hanging out the washing as something that their mother’s or even grandmother’s generation did. I wonder what my answer would be if someone challenged me over my use of the vacuum cleaner. “Just think of the amount of electricity you use” they could say. “What’s wrong with a broom and a dustpan, and a carpet sweeper? Don’t you care about the environment at all? And why do you have a machine to wash your dishes? All that electricity and all that water too!” My environmental complaints at tumble driers would sound like those, to American ears.

In a lot of neighborhoods, it would be awkward to have a washing line, as plots aren’t fenced, so yard space is very open to public view. I’m lucky in that my neighborhood, being an older one dating back to the 60s, has fenced yards. Nonetheless, I have wondered if there’s a rule somewhere that prohibits washing lines. Fortunately, our back yard isn’t very overlooked, and the trees hide the line, so I think I’m safe. I have an argument prepared, in case I’m challenged. I’m going to say that in Europe, hanging out laundry is a historic craft handed down from generation to generation. I’m very concerned that it is dying out, as spinning and weaving have done, and so I’m taking care to teach the art to my children. I will toss in terms like ‘cultural heritage’ and ‘ancient lore’. If pressed, I could demonstrate the various techniques for hanging, I could show the traditional tools: the clothes pin and the clothes peg. I could quote Shakepearean references such as “The maid was in the garden, hanging out the clothes, when down came a blackbird and pecked off her nose”, explaining how Shakespeare’s audience would have understood this as an allusion to the politics of Queen Elizabeth the First and her relationship with Spain. I think that would swing my case.

Of course it’s Shakespeare.

.

24 comments:

  1. One of the things I made sure of when we bought this house was that there were no residents' association rules that forbad having a washing line in the back yard. Four years later and I'm still waiting for DH to put up the washing line we brought with us from the old house :-( He doesn't like line drying - he says it makes his underwear uncomfortable. (Which is why I always put his underwear in the dryer when it was almost dry when we were at the old house - tumble dry for 10 minutes and he never knew the difference!)

    BTW, I don't spin, but I do have two weaving looms ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can be happy with my non-tumbled dry clothes 90% of the time. But socks, undies and towels do make me long for a tumble drying alternative that I don't have in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the smell of clothes hung out to dry in fresh air. But I have to admit that after 9 years I tumble dry most things. I used to hang most of the clothes inside on those fold up clothes airer thingys, but unlike you, I have a real aversion to handling wet clothes. Just can't bear it. Drives me bonkers to have negotiate the intricacy of a concertina'd drying rail whilst handling damp garments. Urgh. Just the thought of it makes me shudder. And I have always been the same. I do still shake out clothes, pull them into shape before I unceremoniously chuck them in the dryer on the 'environmentally conscious' setting (and no, I haven't just made that up!) but after having to handle each garment for 5-10 seconds or so it really is such a relief to literally throw it out of my hands into the gaping mouth of my favourite household appliance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you on this one. My first house had a small yard with no line, I was delighted with the three lines zig-zagging across my small but functional current garden. We don't have a dryer, for space reasons, but I wouldn't have one anyway. You're right, there is no more satisfying house-hold task than stumbling across a sunny day, and hanging washing in the coolness of the morning, wearing your pajamas (it will need all day to dry!) then collecting it in before it rains/gets dark, while your children run through the billowing sheets. With two under twos in reusable nappies, there's always lots of washing. And sunshine is a natural bleach on your whites! (also,my dishwasher has an eco-setting that uses less energy than filling a sink with hot water. Who am I to argue??)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tumblianity. Love it. And I'm Scottish too, so you KNOW I hang my washing out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just for the record, I am a Dutch woman and hang up my laundry to dry as well and if I had a dryer, there would be certain things that I would still hang on the line to dry, such as the sheets and pillow cases and the duvet covers, because they smell so good when air dried and you make your bed with them. It's also true that the dryer shrinks your clothes, so there absolutely would be things I would never put in it for fear of them coming out several sizes too small. So you see, I don't actually need a dryer and when it rains, I have a rack on the wall in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hear hear! good on you - i would do exactly the same. i do my washing according to the weather, and ALWAYS watch the forecast before i put the machine on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to hang the washing out, too. But I don't like crunchy clothes. I'm with you on this topic, though. I love my ten minutes off when I hang up the washing in summer and I would feel bad using the drier. It's like yoga. But then when it gets too cold and wet I'm glad to have my clothes soft again. We can only hang the washing up for about three months around here (Belgium).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never owned a drier, only hang up clothes. Love the smell of them.

    But, my house can resemble a laundrette, particularly when wet and rainy outside.

    Apparently, there are rules banning washing lines in many parts of the US. All about conformity, having neighbourhoods looking nice. This is, however, all according to my husband whose contact with laundry barely stretches to putting his own dirty clothes in the laundry basket, so I wouldn't take much of what he says on this matter as gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never used a line in the US. I tumble dried everything but blue jeans and tops that would shrink if put in the drier. Upon moving to the UK I have converted. When I first got here, all we had were a few radiator airers. Not nearly enough for a family for four. So I started using the line in the garden when the weather got nice. I haven't used the tumble drier since the end of May. When I first started to track it, we were saving £7-10 per week (pre-paid electric). That was good enough for me. I bought more radiator airers and a full size airer that folds down when I don't need it. I have a system that has worked for us so far. Four loads a week of our laundry (two kids two adults), Tuesday laundry is dry by the weekend, Friday laundry is dry by Monday for school. Depending on the weather and space, I fit in towels and sheets when I get a chance. Thankfully, we've got lots of them, so if they back up due to bad weather, I've got extras to get us through. Thing will dry even faster when we turn the heat on for the winter. I don't think I'll ever go back to using the drier. It's a small inconvenience for a good chunk of financial savings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God, I LOVE drying clothes on the line. They get that fresh smell that you just don't get from a dryer (well, you do if you use the conditioning sheets but they're off-limits because of my sons eczema). Unfortunately, since we live in a flat with no garden, outside drying opportunities are rare - which is why when we go on a (self catering) holiday somewhere hot one of the best things for me is being able to line-dry the clothes.

    How sad is that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It IS a peculiarly British activity dashing out of the house to recsue a line of washing just as it begins to rain. Fortunately in Britain it often 'spits' as we call it,initially so we have time.
    Brit yes there are at least neighbourhood regs about washing hanging out in yards etc. My husband was told this too when in the States!

    Can't believe that nicola, about the 'environmental' setting on a tumble dryer. Some marketing guy was onto a winner there. Save the environment whilst drying yr clothes!

    Actually I do think the environmental high horse is worth clambering on. They do use lot of electricity & are used far more than vacuumcleaners etc. As for dishwashers, they reckon if you use them full, and if you normally rinse washing up & change the water at leats once, then dishwashers are more economical on water. Don't know abt electricity tho....

    And I agree you just can't beat that lovely fresh air smell. You EVEN get i ther ein dusty Tirana!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only use my tumble drier in the direst of emergencies - eternal biblical downpours when I have just got back from holiday and the like. Loathesome machine - I hate the way it kinks bra straps, white lines anything dark coloured, twists t-shirts and shrinks or makes baggy clothes randomly so you have no idea what it is going to do. whereas hanging stuff on the line gives you an excuse to be outside! However, I am a "once only" handler of wet washing, and hate re-hanging it or whatever on a "line dash" day...

    Love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I've certainly noticed the lack of washing lines here and even wondered if it wasn't allowed. In London, we didn't have a big enough garden for a line, but I hung everything up indoors - never used the drier function of my washing machine. Here, I'm a little too tempted by a large and powerful tumble drier in our basement, but it does make me feel guilty.

    And while we're on the subject of laundry, is it your impression that American machines don't wash as hot as British ones? I seem to have far more clothes now with seemingly indelible stains, and the machine only has 3 settings - cold, warm and hot?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes I agree. Tomato ketchup, blood, chocolate - I never gave them a second thought in Scotand, but my machine here (and it's new) doesn't get them out at all. I've tried different detergents, so I assume it's the machine.

    And the whites all turn grey.

    This is one thing that expats will never agree on. I've read so many blogs where American women in Britain HATE their machines and you're never ever going to convert us Brits to the American ones. I'm just glad it's never likely to be on the agenda at the UN, because this could be how wars start.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah but it'd be a GOOD war, with tea and brownies...resolved by school pick-up time...

    Love Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love you English and Scottish women! I must admit I'm an American who has been spoiled my entire life by a tumble dryer. I'm reconciling to the idea of line-drying when I move to England in a couple of months. I have one very important question for you, though -- and please don't laugh. What do you do when it is winter and raining or snowing? The "drying cabinent" at my boyfriend's house is small and there are only two radiators that I can put socks on to warm-dry them. Do you have secret clothing lines that come out from trap doors in the halls and extend into the kitchen? I'm not being funny here -- I truly would like to whole-heartedly embrace something that is so good for the environment. I could easily dry my clothing if I had a yard in California as the weather is so nice, but what do you do in stretches of rain?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am gobsmacked to learn there are laws against outdoor drying ... the madness that is american culture never ceases to astound me.
    We dry outside until late autumn then use the 'hot cupboard' ... cupboard that had the hot water tank has enough room to stand a clothes airer next to it. In my old house I had a lovely airer that was fixed to the ceiling and could be lowered to load and raised up again so was out of the way and benefited from the warm air.
    much love Martine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can't imagine line-drying not being the norm - I suppose in Australia we are spoilt with the weather - but I love the smell and feel of line-dried clothes! (Australians, I believe, invented the hills hoist - a rotary clothesline, and while it becoming more rare here, I will always make sure I have one.)

    And I do think it's ok to jump on the environmental bandwagon on this one - it's called SOLAR POWER! - and you don't even need panels! Apart from the cost of the line or hoist, it's FREE! How can you argue against that in these times?!

    We don't even own a tumble dryer - and I freak out if that is my only option when we are away. I can't afford for my clothes to shrink! We have a very rare (it seems) cabinet dryer, that is wonderful backup for rainy weather. (Especially as we don't even have any heating in our house!) Doesn't shrink a thing, or make things all static-y.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's terrible, I use the tumble dryer everytime. Today, the first day of October, it was 90 degrees outside! We just don't have any space outside for a washing line. It is a waste, it's shameful and I miss the wonderful smell of sheets that have hung outside.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha. Dunkirk and laundry? An interesting thought. Imagine how history would have changed if Lenor had already been invented.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It has been a couple years since I have used a clothes dryer. I have to smile we often sound like we are recovering alcoholics at an AA meeting. It has been two years since my last drink. When we say it. It is it has been two years since I used a dryer. I now dry all my laundry on clothes drying racks. I love the versitility. I can keep them in the sun as it moves through out the day. Or in different parts of my house depending on the time of day and whose going to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I live in the States and I love hanging my clothes on the line. Nothing beats climbing into bed with freshly line dried sheets. I had no idea some communities would want this practice banned. No one will ever take away my clothes line. Not all of us over here have lost their minds.

    ReplyDelete