Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wonderfully Weird Parenting: Part lll

I thought I’d find one or two kindred spirits on the views expressed in my previous three posts, but on the basis of experience to date, I’ll be surprised if I find anyone alongside me on this one. This is, I think, my unique wonderfully weird moment in parenthood.

My three babies were all late. Gloriously late. Frustratingly late for everyone else, but gloriously late for me. Each one was, give or take, two weeks late, born around the 42 week mark. And here’s the weird bit. I LOVED those last two weeks.

I was lucky. At that stage of pregnancy, life can be uncomfortable for many women. If that’s you, then I have to tell you, it’s because your abdominal muscles are too tight. Don’t worry: you’ll reap your rewards in the years to come. Decades to come. Women like me, with abdominal muscles the slackness of a lettuce leaf (and I’m talking lollo rosso, not iceberg), let the baby hang out in front , and our internal organs have their usual space and go about their usual business uncompromised. I never had heartburn, I had a huge appetite, I never had to get up in the night to wee, I slept like a proverbial baby (and I was soon to find out how proverbial that baby was). I felt full of health, and surprisingly energetic. It seemed like a reward for the miserable early weeks of nausea and fatigue. I did have to counter comments such as ‘you are HUGE, oh my goodness, look at the SIZE of your BUMP, are they sure it’s not twins?”, which under other circumstances might have been a little upsetting, but in late pregnancy, a happy hormone is released in huge measure into my body, which turns me into a cow-like creature. I could serenely chew the cud all day long, watching the world go by, and crowds of onlookers could hold placards and chant slogans about the size of my bump, without me really noticing them at all.

During those two weeks, I would roll my eyes appropriately in response to the ubiquitous question “are you still here?”, and accept people’s kindly-offered sympathy. But inside, I would be hugging to myself my delicious little secret: this was the best bit of all. Being pregnant isn’t a picnic, but there is a loveliness to it, and to me, labour would inevitably mean loss as well as gain. I loved those kicks and squirms, the hidden relationship with my baby, the moments spent wondering whether it was a boy or girl, what he or she would look like, how much it could hear of my voice, the traffic, the radio. The complete and perfect ownership of a priceless treasure, which, once out in the world, would never belong solely to me ever again. I think this is why we never settled on a name before our babies were born. Somehow naming them was giving them a public identity. Until birth, they were all just mine.

Another factor in my contentment during those final two weeks, was that I loved my body. I loved my huge, huge bump. I would wallow in the bath, waddle along the street, sink irrecoverably into sofas, rejoicing in my whale-like being, and loving nothing better than to run my hand over the stretched, soft skin of my bump. For all of our lives, as women, we feel so inadequate for not having the perfect body. Along comes pregnancy, and, for me, the realization each time that my body is a marvelous thing, feeding and nurturing another human life, keeping it safe, giving it all it needs. In pregnancy, as never before or since, my body feels to me purposeful, beautiful, sufficient, perfect. I feel so sad for new mothers these days, all so obsessed with losing baby weight, getting their bodies back to how they were. Is no time of a woman’s life safe from the grinding competition and pressure for a toned body?

But back to me. Picture me, if you will, huge and happy, fending off any doctor’s attempt to induce labour, each day wondering “is this the day?” and toying with the date in my mind. Would this be a nice birthday to have, for life? I'd see the changing mat on the chest of drawers, all ready for the tiny bottom and tiny indignant cries. I'd touch the waiting baby clothes, clean, sweet-smelling, and impossibly small. I'd shut my eyes and try to remember that delicious eau de newborn, and know that it didn’t matter at all how impossible that memory is to recreate, because it wouldn’t be, couldn’t be, more than a few days until I had a soft head to bury my nose in for real. I like anticipation. I think I prefer Christmas Eve to Christmas Day.
Perhaps that’s it. The last gasp of pregnancy is the ultimate in anticipation.

I expect it was all my doing. Midwives say that both baby and mother have to be ready, and maybe my babies were in there, head down, champing gummily at the bit, and it was me resisting the trigger of labour. Midwives know that women can do that kind of thing. I told them it was genetic, that my mother’s babies had all been late, but that was something of an exaggeration. She had one 42-weeker out of four; the rest of us were a respectable 2 or 3 days late. All I know is that I have never met anyone else who has actually hoped for a late baby, and I just can’t understand why. Anyone out there?

22 comments:

  1. Well, I'm childless, so can't really give my opinion! However, I will say, that you make it sound wonderful! I can wholly imagine that intimate feeling with the baby and treasuring the days when the baby is only yours. Sounds beautiful, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chance would have been a fine thing, is all I can say! You make it sound lovely, but with one boy 2 1/2 weeks early and the other 10 days early, well, I'll never know... (And can you stop talking about soft heads to bury noses in please? Bumped into a friend with an 8 week old today and those motherly hormones got me gooooood. Thank heavens Husband is away.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear. Hear! I haven't hoped for her to be late, but she decided to hang in there until week # 43. The only thing that really bothered me were the consultants I had to fight off, all keen on inducing me.
    Next time I am going into hiding until she's ready to pop out.
    You know what I really loved about having a 'late' baby? She was so much more settled, content and happy than all the other babies on the ward.
    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I'm not with you on this one - although I'm glad that you had such a nice experience. I hated the last trimester of pregnancy - probably a penance for not suffering any morning sickness in the first. I had heartburn, cramp, constipation, the lot. Littleboy 1 was 10 days late and I was desperate for him to come out. With Littleboy 2, I was in hospital for a month and then had him at 35 weeks, so the last month is a pretty hellish memory. In fact, one thing seriously preventing me from having another one is the thought of going through pregnancy again....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED being pregnant. Totally and utterly loved it. No morning sickness. Biggest issue was low blood pressure (bit woozy getting out the bath). Being pregnant didn't totally love me though. Slipped disc at 34 weeks, led to weeks of crutches and sympathy (that one did appear a couple of weeks early though). No. 1 was 2 weeks late, and I didn't really suffer. Like you, I'm a Christmas Eve kind of girl...

    I got paid back, with interest, though. A terrible sleeper led to 6 months (who am I kidding, he still doesn't sleep) of abject misery and weird caffiene addictions.

    I'm also having a need to stay away from young babies / my husband at the moment... Do not want a baby in Bosnia. Do not want a baby in Bosnia. Repeat to self as mantra as I head off to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I had DD she was 10 days late. Once I got to my due date people kept asking me if I wasn't ready to simply get the pregnancy over and were surprised that I was quite happy. I was huge, slow and tired, but everyone was nice to me and I didn't have to go to work - I could've stayed like that for weeks!

    With DS, physically I would have been quite happy to be late, but from a practical viewpoint I wanted him born asap after I started my maternity leave. The doctor made me stop work 2 weeks before his due date (mostly because I had a 2 1/2 hour round trip commute.) I stopped work on the Friday and he was born via emergency C-section the following Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry, I have nothing to offer on this! Both my boys were 2 weeks early and only took a few hours labour. I don't even know what it's like to reach your due date.

    Love the idea of you wallowing in sofas, it sounds glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how beautiful, and how lucky! I was sore and progressively grumpier as we got near to, and past, the due date. A joy to be with...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed being pregnant too. Dd was 12 days late which I was fine with (I had left work 4 weeks before her due date, with 6 weeks' worth of jobs still to do...) However I don't think I am so much a Christmas Eve person as a "lawks is that the date? It can't be! Last time I looked it was only March and I am waaaaaaaaaaay too far behind with my prep (mental and environmental!) for either (a) Christmas or (b) motherhood!!!!! Ds arrived a day early. How much was I NOT expecting that!

    Love
    Josephine
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 1st was a week early, my 2nd 11 days late. Go figure! I thought patterns were usually genetic (my mum's 4 were ALL born on our due dates!) And they were IVF so we knew EXACTLY (to the hr & minute etc when 40 wks was up!) I must admit, It did my head in being overdue wth my daughter, I used to wake up thinking, 'no it absolutely CANNOT be today, I'm just too tired to give birth' I wasn't uncomfortable but I was getting up to wee every 2 hrs at night. My midwife did a stretch & sweep at 41 wks, said I was 4 cm dilated & the baby wd be here that night or nxt day. I bumped into her in Tescos 5 days later. She was shocked & cdn't believe I was 'still here'. She did another stretch & sweep that afternoon, said I was 7 nearly 8 cm dilated(news to me, I wasn't even having contractions, just a few tightenings!) So I took myself off to hospital where they eventually suggested breaking my waters to speed things up. Turned out to be a v strong 'sack'& needed 2 attempts. Maybe that was what was holding up my contractions. My 9 1/2 lb baby girl was born the next morning at 2a.m. Funny though she has always been very clingy, cuddly, & wanting to be physically close to me. Seems like she enjoyed being in the womb too much to come out, I like to think.
    Lovely, evocative post Iota, & ah those hormones, can't control them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Given that I seem to grow huge babies (and then can't get them out) the last few weeks were always very uncomfortable. My huge first son had his feet stuck somewhere up near my right armpit. Poor thing was so squashed that his feet were flapped up against his shins for about a month after he was born.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has been almost 15 years since my last pregnancy, but I also loved being pregnant - the first was a week and a bit late and had to be induced, which didn't work, so he was delivered by C section, consequently the following two had to be C sections too because the gaps between them fell short of the 18 months my obstetrician considered safe to allow for natural birth. Not that I minded though! I never ever went into labour, neither did I feel any kind of discomfort at any point during my pregnancies. I had my tube tied during the third's birth because I guess I would have gone on giving into the hormonal urges!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you do make it all sound wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  14. "turns me into a cow-like creature. I could serenely chew the cud all day long" - loved that! Great description.

    I always freak out when my due date arrives. I want the little buggers out. I think the reason is that my mother always told me her figure was ruined during the last two weeks of her pregnancy with me. I was told that from a very young age. Shallow perhaps, but it sends me in a blind panic at 40 weeks and a day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, my second was 10 miserable days late. I confess to be being a compulsive "pilateser" with pre pregnancy drum tight abs, but in my defense I'm 5ft 2, with a very short torso and he was 22 inches long, born bruised and black eyed from those 10 days crushed into my pelvis, my bladder and stomach the size of peas those last few days.
    I too loved being pregnant though, and did indeed feel beautiful. I have kept that feeling since, my body became more "mine" after pregnancy, and I am grateful for its strength and good health, and yes beauty too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loved this post. while i was ready for my daughter to be born as soon as it was 'safe' for her to come out, reading your take on it has given me a new perspective for this pregnancy.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for sharing
    -------------------------------------
    Shopping Baby products , Baby clothing , Baby toys , Feeding , Diaper , Accessories
    Go to Shop Click Here !!!
    http://baby.1newprices.info

    special !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I could feel this way, I really do. I was hopeful for it this time, with the wonderful 2nd trimester I had, where I even managed to walk all the way up Mont St Michel, had bucketloads of energy and almost no pain, after my physio sorted out the pelvic girdle pain.

    But now it's just horrible, to the point where I'm one more time swearing 'Never again!'

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I could have felt that way too. Not that I had difficult pregnancies, but I was uncomfortable by the end. Particularly the last one - she took up residence resting on my bladder. I could barely walk down the street (or drive 20mins to town) without being in agony needing to pee.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also luurved being pregnant, all the way to the end. Loved people stopping me in the street, touching my tummy (I'm a sucker for attention, what can I say!) Our gal came out ten days early but when the doc saw her she said she was at least 41 or even 42 weeks so we messed up our maths somewhere down the line! I wonder if I would have been impatient had I known she was late??

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I had read this post when pregnant. My baby was two weeks late and induced and if I ever get pregnant again I will beat anyone off with a stick who wants to induce me. I should have just relaxed and let nature take its course. Yes, I was fed up of being pregnant but I loved my bump and I think I should have focused on that instead of worrying about him coming out. I have learnt my lesson for next time that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete