Saturday, September 19, 2009

Wonderfully Weird Parenting: Part lV

Last one in the series, I promise.

I am wonderfully weird, because I actively seek out opportunities to talk to my children about sex, while they are young. Don’t get the wrong impression. I don’t sit them in a row on the sofa, and address them with the aid of a flipchart, or a power point presentation. No. It’s more just a question of, quite literally, the birds and the bees. There’s always some hanky panky going in nature, which you can use to bring the conversation round to where little fledglings come from, and from there, you’re just one tweet away from where human babies come from. (Interesting phrase, come to think of it, “the birds and the bees”, because for all my own sex education, I do know how birds reproduce, but I don’t really have a clue how bees do it.)

We have a book for young children, which I occasionally slip into the bedtime reading pile. On a given evening, I might read The Three Little Pigs, Where do Babies Come From?, and Dazzling Diggers. It used to cross my mind that it might be hard for the kids to distinguish whether the Babies one was fact or fiction, especially if interspersed between the pigs and the diggers, but children are remarkably good at filtering information over time. Perhaps they start off thinking it’s a fairy story, and a rather bizarre one at that, but at least I’ve introduced the subject to them. Now we also have a couple of books suitable for older children, which are more detailed. No doubt the second and third children in the family will read those ones at much younger ages than the oldest has done (I’m a third child myself, I know these things).

The reasons I decided not to wait until the children asked, and then deliver ‘The Talk’, are fairly simple. I didn’t want to miss the boat, and find that some well-meaning but ill-informed friend at school had done the job for me. Or worse, some ill-meaning one. It’s so much easier, as a parent, to pick your own moment. Otherwise, you’ll find yourself cornered, and the moment will pick you. It’ll be the night before the lesson when they’re going to cover it at school, when your child thrusts a grubby letter into your hand saying “Mum, you’re meant to have signed this by last week to say it’s ok for me to be there, but I forgot to give it to you”. Or it’ll be at Sunday lunch with relatives, when your 5 year old pipes up “how did the baby get into Auntie Moira’s tummy?”, and you have to mumble something about “tell you later, now get on with your spaghetti” while Uncle Peter says he’s just getting another beer and disappears to the kitchen.

It’s just easier to talk to younger children. It’s like apologizing. The longer you leave it, the harder you make it for yourself. Younger children are unembarrassed, and don’t say “that’s gross” as often. You don’t have to go into any more detail than you want, because at a young age, they are happy with very little, and often not terribly interested anyway. And here’s something experience has taught me. It’s not a question of having ‘The Talk’. It’s more a question of ‘The Talks’. For a start, you’re never going to cover it all, in the right level of detail, with all the associated thoughts on relationships and responsibilities, on one occasion. So unless you want them to find out most of their information from other sources, you’re going to have to reconcile yourself to more than just ‘The Talk’ in any case. You might as well start early.

Incidentally, if anyone knows where bees come from, then do let me know. Or do you think I should ask my mother?

16 comments:

  1. So can I avoid The Talk but letting your 5 yo and my 6 yo swap email addresses? I mean, she's clearly well informed, and would be certainly well meaning I am sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your approach is very smart and healthy. It makes for much more secure children about everything pertaining to sex and the functions of the human body, which can be such a mystery to so many of us when we grow up. Nothing is worse than secrecy and ignorance. That was my experience anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, love it. My parents never did do the talk or talks in any form, and their only contribution when I was a teenager was to give me a book from a religious outfit about abstinence. I think you've got the better idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my first sex talk with my son before his third birthday. His sister was on the way, so it seemed like the proper thing to do. I have a great book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i plan on taking a similar approach with my kids --

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the longer you leave it the harder it would become to talk about....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really helpful post, Iota as it's something I'm thinking about at the moment with my daughter. Your point about having discussions when they are young and less embarrassed is a really useful one for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter regularly says to me
    "Tell me again mummy, do babies come out of your tummy button or your bottom?" Don't know WHERE kids always get the tummy button theory from. She then says "front or back bottom?" and then sighs & says "I don't want to have babies coming out of my front bottom, I wish it was my tummy button" (which really WOULD be a tight squeeze...)
    I don't mind the where do babies come from, it's the specifics of sex I find difficult, mainly because I think it sounds so utterly ridiculous. I have had that talk with my son & he looked at me wth a mixture of incredulity & astonishment. Think horror might have been in there too. Perhaps it's the way I tell it??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry can't help you with the bee thing but i'm gonna have to invest in one of those books! I don't really talk about the birds and the bees with my girls yet, but they are aware about how the body works, especially the female one and that mummy has "peewees" periods and babies come out of your front bum not your belly button :)

    I have just become a follower as i was shocked to discover i'm not already, i could have sworn i was but not to worry i am now! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Front bum? Back bum? I didn't even know these expressions exist. You're never too old to learn, I guess.
    Bees... wasn't it something with queens laying eggs in the comb and having a big army of workers surrounding the bees, working, working, working? I think it's actually more complicated than the whole front bum back bum story :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. phew, I'm so glad someone else does it too! I've always waded in and described stuff in detail (not without my own toes curling on some occasions), for fear that I will miss the boat.

    On reflection tho, I may have started a tad young with my eldest. I realised that when at age 3 she said, 'ooo look! the sheep is putting his penis into the girl sheep's vagina'...eeeewwww!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's an admirable approach. I have a completely open and honest approach to these sorts of things and will simply answer the Toddler's questions as they arise. We've had the baby conversation (as in, how do they get out?) but not the conception one (as in, how do they get in?) We have a LOT of conversations about death, which I know friends and family find horribly morbid. But his brother died, and that's a pretty significant event, so I'm happy to answer his questions about it, even though they are the same ones over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm right with you here. We were given a brilliant book when Five was born called "Mummy laid an Egg' which we started reading to her pretty early on. She is completely relaxed about sex and procreation. Last year we were at the zoo and a pair of lemurs started to shag right at the front of the cage. A couple of kids asked their parents what was happening and the adults were coughing, blushing, stumbling, guiding their kids away from the cages, but Five (then four), calmly said "Gosh, don't they know? They're just making a baby lemur!" She also refers to her brother's testicles as his 'spectacles' and says they're his 'seed pods' which is quite hilarious and actually very accurate. Just easier to tell them when it's not so cringey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we had "Mommy laid an Egg" (American version) which was a cartoon book. The page where they show the parents "in situ" was more like a comic Kama Sutra, balloons everywhere, dangling from the ceiling (the parents) and god knows what else. All very entertaining but I had to explain that most people didn't go to such theatrical extremes. Or maybe I'm just really staid!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Had a wonderful time nodding away here knowing at last I'm not the only weird one! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this approach is excellent. That's the approach my parents used and I never had to have 'the talk'. I just knew what it was all about, including periods and sex and so on. We are trying to follow the same approach with Rosemary, and answer questions as simply as simply and honestly as possible as and when they arrive. It has been a while since she's asked, actually, which is kind of odd seeing as there's a baby growing inside my tummy at the moment!

    ReplyDelete