Thursday, September 24, 2009

Pizza Glut

Day One of ‘The Daily Post’, and what better way to start than with a rant?

The Pizza Hut Book-It scheme. When your child is at preschool, in kindergarten, or in first grade, your teacher informs you that he is taking part in the Book-It scheme. It’s a wonderful idea, to encourage reading. You set goals for the number of minutes your child spends reading per week, and if your child achieves those goals, at the end of the month, your child is rewarded with a voucher for a free pizza at Pizza Hut.

I feel my blood pressure rising even as I type. I am so annoyed by this scheme. It’s just blatant marketing to young children, without any opportunity for parental control. Those marketing people at Pizza Hut are by-passing and manipulating me.

The voucher is for one plain child-sized pizza. But you’re not going to take your one child to Pizza Hut, and buy them one plain child-sized pizza. Oh no. You’re going to take your whole family. So for every voucher Pizza Hut gives out (and remember, we’re talking monthly, to every child between the ages of 4 and 7), they probably get a significant number of entire families buying a meal in their restaurants. Even if you did leave the family behind, and take your child on her own to Pizza Hut, you would still end up spending money. You could try insisting on one small plain pizza and a glass of water and getting your child to see this as a big reward, but Pizza Hut know as well as you do, you’re probably going to end up spending on extra toppings, a drink, a dessert, a coffee for yourself.

I know that American families eat out much more often than we do, and Pizza Hut is an obvious kid-friendly choice. My guess is that eating regularly at Pizza Hut is just part of life for a lot of families round here. I’m trying to be culturally sensitive here - perhaps Pizza Hut are just generously helping along families to do what comes naturally to them - nope, I'm afraid it’s not doing much to lower my blood pressure.

Here’s another annoying thing. Because there’s always a 'meal deal', you usually end up not even using that voucher, because the helpful waiter points out that it works out more expensive. So you get to take it home for another time. That irritates me more than I can tell you.

What does this piece of marketing cost Pizza Hut? Almost nothing, I imagine. It's just the cost of printing the vouchers, because here’s the really clever thing – it’s the teachers who do all the administration. Nice one, Pizza Hut. You get the teachers to do the work of keeping track of all those weekly reading minutes. What’s more, if there’s any negative publicity to be had, if a child hasn’t achieved their goal, then it’s the teacher who is the bad guy, not you. Very clever. I just hope the schools have been clever enough on their part to negotiate the most enormous big fat donation up front, with extra pepperoni.

There are ways to deal with the vouchers: my best one is to praise the child for the reading achievement, and to put the voucher away “for a special occasion” (for which read “till you’ve forgotten about it”) – which sometimes works but sometimes doesn’t. I am also aware that there are families for whom a free pizza is a welcome gift, the ones with children on free school meals, the ones whose children take home a 'food for kids' bag on a Friday afternoon. For all that, I still think schools shouldn’t be in the business of promoting Pizza Hut. So, my friends, next time you’re choosing between Pizza Hut and another purveyor of edible food-like items, think of me, and choose the other one. It won’t dent their profits all that much, but you can email me and make me feel better.

Since I’m on the subject, I’d like to extend my rant in the direction of dentists. Why do you give my children a voucher saying “you’ve been brave!” and entitling them to a free kids’ meal at Applebee’s? For a start, I have never implied to them that the dentist is anything other than fun and friendly. I don’t want them (yet) to associate the dentist with the need to be brave. I’m amazed that you do. And I’m amazed that you think encouraging them to go to Applebee’s is in the interests of their dental health. But besides all that, I have this to say to you. A free kids’ meal at Applebee’s? Do you think I’m stupid? Kids eat free at Applebee’s on a Tuesday anyway. You’re having a laugh.

15 comments:

  1. Ah yes, that discerning notion of something being 'free' when it is anything but.

    Personally I would bundle all the vouchers together and give them as a prize in a raffle. What do you want to bet though that the T&Cs state that you cannot use more than one at any given time?

    The small print. Absolute bugger it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the post a day gets off to a flying start! Excellent rant Iota, and absolutely spot on. Personally I've complained in the past about marketing through the school and nursery to my kids; I think that it's irresponsible of the school to allow it and scurrilous of the brand concerned to take advantage in this way. Since I actually pay for my kids' schooling they listened to me, but I can imagine if it had been state schooling they would have told me to take a running jump, so I feel your pain.

    If Pizza Hut were prepared to donate one free take-away pizza then that would be different, but somehow I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That kind of thing gets me SO annoyed as well. My son's school happily takes anything that is sponsored, without giving it another thought. I HATE it, but other parents just give me strange looks when I suggest this may not be that great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great rant. I haven't come across this scheme - thank god. I hate any kind of marketing to kids. hate the fact that they have mcd's in some school / university cafeterias along with coca cola provided vending machines. NO! I don't want to reward my kids with this crap either! Shame on the schools for taking it on board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fully agree. I do like the idea of a 'food for kids' bag on a Friday afternoon - we don't have those in the UK. Are they for idle mummies with no food in the house cos they have spent their week drinking coffee and reading a fabulous blog a day rather than getting to Sainsbury's and doing the weekly shop?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This drives me mad too. I was horrified when I moved here and my kids came home with vouchers for free food or a free ticket to an ice hockey game. What are these people thinking, blatantly marketing to kids and through the schools as well? Is nowhere safe? I think it's a moral issue and reflects badly on the US, but American kids are marketed to from the moment they wake up every single day. It's shameful.
    I've done the 'save it until you forget about it' thing and I've also explained to them exactly why they are being used like this. If I think they've earned a treat, I'LL decide WHAT that treat will be! I'm afraid it's tough love in our house when it comes to these schemes. You've got to be pretty amazing to part me from my money and if you use my kids to do so, you're just on a hidin' to nothin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Around here it's the dentist that gives out coupons for free pizza. ("Excuse me, did you ask if my child has any dietary restrictions before you gave her that coupon? No, of course you didn't!")

    The reading scam at school is for kids to earn a free ticket to Six Flags. Like any elementary school kid is going to a) go to Six Flags on their own and b) not spend extra money once they get there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in elementary school in the Midwest in the early and mid 80s and that is when the Pizza Hut book thing started. At the same time you could get a burger at McDonalds for every "A" on your gradecard. As a kid, I thought this was great, but as an adult, I've really begun to question this sort of "food for reward" scheme. As our waistbands balloon in the US (and elsewhere), perhaps it is not such a grand idea to look at food (especially fattening food) as a reward for achievement. It is just as bad as looking to food for solace. Both breed unhealthy psychological connections to food -- which is meant to sustain, not bribe children into achievement. (Just had to join the soap box with you for a moment.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am shocked! I was not aware of this "scheme". Of course, when you think about it - it makes sense that this would happen in America. I have lived in Brazil pratically all my life and in a country where people go hungry, a thing like this would be highly offensive! I am happy, though, that the educational authorities here would never allow it, there is a very strict policy regarding what gets to the kids through school (private and state).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Food as a reward - not desperatley healthy anyway you look at it. Great marketing wheeze though. Haven't come across it too much in the UK but I'm sure it would catch on...very worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, being an elementary school student has sure changed in the last 25 years since I was one, back in my day they certainly were not doing things like this in the American midwest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. On top of it: Pizza Hut is not really the healthiest of choices. I wouldn't want my child to become too used to this with salt and fat supercharged food. Normal pizza is a definite yes, but Pizza Hut? The fat dribbels down your chin when you take a bite. Urgh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Waaaaaahhhhhhhhh! Get over it and ditch the no-fun police attitude. It's not only a rant, it's whining. At least Pizza Hut and others are taking an interest in kids doing well. Sure, there's something in it for them, just as much as Yoplait making contributions to fight cancer when they sell so much pink yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First I'll say that I'm glad my daughter's school doesn't have this system in place. They have to turn in a reading log every week, but its for a grade, not a pizza.

    So with that in mind, I understand the rant, I just think its a little missed placed. Pizza Hut is a business trying to make money and they came up with a great way to get people to buy their pizza.

    I would be more concered about the fact that the school has seemed to make this a central part of thier ciriculum. The fact that the school is using this marketing divice as a crutch for their reading program bothers me a lot more than any motives Pizza Hut may have.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As mentioned by others, it's not just the (horrendous) marketing issue, but alsso the food-as-reward issue, as though children are dogs that can be trained. (good boy. have a biscuit). It's ingrained in us all though. I've tried in vain to get my mother to only give my 20m old food to satiate his appetite, not for being good! But chocolate is always "a special treat", wheras it should be simply food. I'd be first in the queue to complain if this was standard practice at our schools. And I have lied at kids parties/mum&toddler groups, claiming my child requires a low-salt diet (technically, all children do) when I got sick to death of other parents handing him crisps and other junk.

    ReplyDelete