Friday, September 25, 2009

School sweet school

Day Two of 'The Daily Post'.

Writing yesterday’s post about the Pizza Hut Book-It scheme reminded me of how shocked I was when I first arrived in the US at the amount of sweets and treats handed out in schools. I am keeping my ear cocked for the rest of the day after I publish this post, to see if I can hear the sharp intakes of breath, and the tutting, that I suspect it will cause amongst UK readers.

Sweets (candy to US readers) are a usual and acceptable reward for good behavior or work in school. I can’t really blame the teachers. If I was a teacher, and if it wasn’t frowned upon, I’d hand out plenty. I'd like to be popular too. One of my children was in a class when we first arrived here where the teacher gave out small suckable sweets called light sabres, on the basis that they helped concentration. (They turned out to be called life savers – more appropriate for polo-shaped sweets when you think about it.) Then there is the tradition that children take in treats for everyone on their birthday, usually brownies, doughnuts, or cake. Any and every excuse for sweets or cake seems to be taken, and if there isn’t an excuse to hand, well, they just give it out anyway. In my early outraged days, I considered telling the school that my kids were allergic to sugar, but I never did, and as time has ticked by, I suppose I’ve just had to get used to it.

It’s not just the sugar. It’s the food colouring. Take a look at these.

Birthday cake from Dillons.





Hallowe'en - it's nearly that time of year again.









Breakfast cereal called Fruit Loops. Yup, lots of fruit in those.





All considered normal fare for children. Last Hallowe’en, one of my children’s teachers sent home a sheet about how artificial food colouring can affect children. It contained examples, statistics, and websites for further information. It read like a document seeking to persuade people who had never heard anything on the subject before (“We all know that children’s behavior can change when they’re on a sugar high, but have you ever thought about what else might be affecting them in those trick or treat bags?”) Surely the whole thing about food additives can’t be news to American mums?

I thought I was acclimatised (or acclimated, as they say round here), but 5-yo shocked me this week. We were discussing what she liked best at school, and the conversation went like this:

5-yo: I like Art.

Me (swelling inwardly with pride at creative child): What do you like about Art?

5-yo: The teacher gives us all bubble-gum.

Me: All of you?

5-yo: Yes, everyone. It’s only for the Art lesson. We have to put it in the trash when we leave.

Me: Oh. Um. Do you really need to be chewing bubble-gum in an Art lesson? (Not a fair question for a 5 year old, but I was in shock.)

5-yo: Well, she does have RULES about it.

Me: What are the rules?

5-yo: You’re not allowed to put your fingers in your mouth, because that makes them sticky. [Sensible rule in a school where there are reported cases of swine flu, though I couldn’t help thinking that not giving gum in the first place would be better.] And if you want to take it out, you have to ask the teacher first, and then you have to put it in the bin.

What can I say?

16 comments:

  1. You need to go to a granola-type school like we do. I was at Little Guy's parent meeting last night and the "Wellness Committee" has basically banned the birthday treat. Not quite sure what we're supposed to take in now other than edible fruit arrangements, but I'm quite pleased to know that my kids are no longer being given crap all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Iota, I believe they are called FROOT Loops, thus handily avoiding any potentially awkward associations with anything real.

    How do you feel about the term "trash"? Here in Canada we say 'garbage' and (when we lived in CA) it took me ages to get used to the word 'trash.' Always sounded as though they were talking about gossip television.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds familiar. A European friend of mine here is outraged because her son's preschool serves cookies for 'snack time'. Not only that, but they demand that lunch be provided in a disposable container! How environmentally outrageous is that....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot stand gum! There is something quite disgusting about talking to someone when you can see the gum in their mouth swirling around like a washing machine. I accept this is one of my pet peeves about living in the States but its good to get it out there and share it with the world!!! (not the gum.....)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit, I'm surprised by this as I have never experienced such a sweet tooth in general as I found coming to Britain. I don't really like sweets and thus there is outrage, outrage I say when I arrive at yet another event where the only food is teeth-ache inducing sweet biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is outrageous! My five year old isn't even allowed gum at all.

    I was always shocked at my American friend who was always giving her kids doughnuts, chocolate bars, "pop" and sweets. I suppose that must just be what she was used to herself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I thought the UK stores are selling piles of crap. Additives that are banned in other countries are still used for sweets sold in the UK. I don't imagine the states to be any better.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1103920/Never-mind-sugar-Are-children-poisoned-sweets.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fattening of America. It really starts early. I hated my kids being given candy in class because of its inheritant unhealthiness and the potential for cavities. My kids LOVED being given candy, because it was pretty much rare at home. Once my oldest (at the time 13) burst into tears because "we never have junk food in our house!" LOL Lisa. (itsnotalwayswhatitseems.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG that's horrific. I cannot imagine what I would say or think or how I would react if either boy was given GUM in class??!!! I'm sorry, I will stand on my British soapbox. Or just any old soapbox. That's just plain wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids just brought home a request from school that we consider alternatives to edible snacks when sending in a class treat for a kid's birthday. They suggested things like stickers or sidewalk chalk. We do live in a pretty earthy crunchy community though. The school district I work in has a Wellness policy that has pretty much banned sugary treats - though many parents ignore it and send junk in anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can only say one thing -- you live in the midwest! You would not see a sweet in a California school. Those mums would be citing all the E factors and complaining to the principal at the first site of a twizzle stick...

    There is a lot of crap, processed food in America. Loved your fruit loop comment (and that was on of my favourites growing up!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, i am in total shock having read this! We seem to have the complete opposite here where they specifically ban chocolate and sweets in lunch boxes (at our local school anyway). I can't believe it! - they do it without your consent? i am genuinely in shock

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO how come all Americans have such perfect teeth?? Or does everyone have false teeth??

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is shocking. Many of our local schools have banned crisps for packed lunches, and provide fruit & toast as morning snack!! (NW England) Not wrong, just different? Sorry, this is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To answer Paradise Lost in Translation's question with a quick story: In addition to the Pizza Hut Book-it scheme I encountered in Ohio in 1982-87, we also had cupcakes and cookies for birthdays at school. One funny thing we also did was weekly flouride rinses in addition to monthly episodes where we all chewed up some tablet that stained our teeth where there was plague so we'd learn where to brush better. The teacher would walk around and show us our stained smiles and hand out tooth brushes. Yes -- we Americans are a funny lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. God, that would drive me round the bend. How stupid and annoying!
    Fruit loops are the work of the devil.

    ReplyDelete