Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tales from Kindergarten

The universe took pity on me. The computer wasn't damaged, the hives are going, the allergies are abating, the swine flu hasn't hit yet, and... and... drum roll... and... yesterday 5-yo got to put a drop in the Principal's bucket. It was her proudest moment, the fulfillment of her loftiest ambitions. The Principal wasn't there, but "there were some kind ladies who told me I'd done a good job".

There are three Kindergarten teachers at 5-yo's school. They are called Mr Davis, Mrs Davis, and Mrs Smith. 5-yo discovered that two of them are a married couple.

"Do you know, Mamma, two of our Kindergarten teachers are married to each other? I think it must be Mr Davis and Mrs Davis. What do you think?"

I've been warned that the playground is a more complicated place for girls than boys. We're only in week two, and already there is evidence. 5-yo was sad the other day that she didn't get much recess time. When I asked why not, she told me that she'd had to spend most of it carrying another girl's sweater, while that girl played. I asked her why she'd had to hold this girl's sweater, and she replied "she told me I had to". To add insult to injury, the girl was playing the while with Lily, who as we all know, is 5-yo's new friend.

Apart from this dip in her happiness, all seems to be going well. A highlight of her week has been Show and Share. She had to take in something her favourite colour, and have three clues to give the other children. They then had to guess what the object was. Her favourite colour for the past 5 years has been pink. Unwaveringly so. But it changed this week to yellow. The clues for her Show and Share were:

* it's stretchy

* it has things like petals on it

* it is used mostly by girls.

Having written these clues down, I realised they sounded a bit rude somehow, so I was rather glad to be in the realms of yellow, not pink.

Because I love a good blog competition, I'm going to get you all to guess what the answer is. Apart from those three clues and the colour, the only other Kindergarten requirement is that the item fits inside a backpack (so it's not an elephant, for example). No prizes, except the glow of satisfaction that you have out-performed 23 Midwestern Kindergarteners.

I was going to ask you all to become drops in my own bucket, by subscribing to my blog. So I went and activated the 'Followers' gadget, which I've recently discovered is really simple to do, and doesn't require any serious techno-wizard skills. And guess what? 35 of you are followers already. Look at you lovely people, over there on the right. Who'd have thought it? My bucket already has 35 drops. Any more out there? Go on, make me even happier.

16 comments:

  1. Mmm, I am going to have to wander off and think about this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a girlie surfer rash vest! I have a photo of Blossom in hers but for the life of me cannot figure out how to post this in the comments box ... so much for working in the technology sector, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. swimsuit? hair band? I feel really out of my depth here, not having a foot hold in girl territory. Aarrgh. Am going to be pondering this all bloody day.

    Johnny Drama has his first show and tell tomorrow. However, there are no guidelines, which is rubbish because it just means that all the kids are going to take in their favourite toys and all JD will talk about all weekend is how very much he wants this or that, just like his friends. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really not sure if I did the follower thingy right, but consider me as dropped in your bucket. And yes, that sounds a bit rude too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a sunflower flower-girl outfit (top made of lycra, skirt made of 'petals')

    I don't dare do a follower thing. Think I'd find out I only had about 4!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say hair band too, but then I thought 'MOSTLY by girls?' - so are there any boys with hairbands in the class?

    I'll become a follower - don't know why, but I haven't really got into this, I usually just click through from my blog roll...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My guess is either a purse or a pencil case. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I clicked to become a follower and discovered that I already was. Yay! I have no idea about this technology thing, it is all a mystery to me.

    The mainly used by girls is mystifying me (not having very many girls in my life, although i do have a son whose favourite colour is pink). A yellow Tutu sunflower skirt thing? A pair of yellow tights with petals around the knees? Some pretty yellow shoes with flowers on? A flowery yellow pencil case? I'm outdone by a load of midwestern kindergardeners.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of those pony tail thingys. I have boys, alright? How I am supposed to know about girls? Starting school is so exciting, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it may be one of those pretty flowery swimming caps. Is it? Is it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. A rubber daffodil? Banana hairband? Flip flops?Crikey, it's a toughy...Glad the pestilences are holding off! Take care.
    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's a headband. Beckham wears them so maybe she's seen pics of him?? Or the kid at my girls' school who thinks he looks cool but actually he looks kind of pretty.
    And so glad she's been ok, but I would suggest she drops that coat in a puddle or a bucket of tripe. Mean bossy friend nicking girl needs a lesson in. Tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's obviously way too long since my girl had anything like that. Not a clue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh well done, 5-yo! What a wonderful moment for her. I have very bad memories of breaktime at primary school (the couple of years I was there). It really is a very complex time.

    I think it's a hairband, too. Pretty sure I'm already a follower.

    ReplyDelete