Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wonderfully Weird Parenting: Part ll

The next way I'm weird is that I didn't really want my children to believe in Father Christmas. I never did, since my older sister had been terrified at the idea of a strange man coming into the house, and so my parents had never had the chance to spin the story. I never felt I missed out. Parents talk fondly of the magic of Christmas, but I always had plenty of that in the sheer excitement of waking up on Christmas morning and kicking at the end of the bed to feel the lumpy stocking there. It hadn't been any less fun for knowing where it had come from. As a family, we enjoyed the whole charade, and played along with the story, while we all knew it wasn't true. It was like a great shared secret.

When our first child reached Christmas-appreciating age, I'd rather planned to go down the same route. Then I discovered that to the great majority of parents, it was hugely important to keep the Father Christmas myth alive for as long as possible. I honestly had had no idea before then, that this was of such consequence. I didn't really want to get my son to believe the story because of my own experience as a child, and because I anticipated a day when he would find out and would then wonder what else I'd been fibbing to him about. I wanted him to be able to trust me 100%, always. It made me uneasy to sell him a fiction as a fact. I also knew of older children deeply upset on finding out they were the last child in their class still to believe.

The assumption at my son's preschool was so strong, that we were all doing the Father Christmas thing to the Nth degree, that it would have been very difficult to opt out. I heard tales of mothers who had let older siblings tell, and how this had ruined Christmas in previous years. I heard of the devious tales that children were told to explain how Father Christmas managed to get gifts to the right place, when a child was spending Christmas away from home. It was a huge conspiracy, carefully guarded, and even if I'd been brave enough to have broken out myself, I had to think through the ramifications of that for my son. For him, it would have been a hard burden to bear to be the only 3 year old at the Christmas party who knew that Father Christmas was in fact one of the dads with a pillow up his front, and to know that he must not tell any of the other children under any circumstance. I certainly wasn’t going to risk letting him be the child who spoiled Christmas for 20 families.

So I went along with the majority, but I confess that I did sow seeds of doubt. I would tell my son "it's amazing how Father Christmas manages to get round all the houses in the world in one night - I wonder how that can be", or "you know that song about how you only get presents from Father Christmas if you've been good? well, the funny thing is, when it comes to it, ALL children get presents after all". Call me subversive, but hey, in this house, the children imbibe doses of irony along with their mother's milk, so even at 3, I was fairly sure that my son was picking up at least some vague sense that when we talked of “Father Christmas", we did so with invisible inverted commas.

The saving grace for me, was a Canadian couple who hosted a St Nicholas’ Day party, early in December the following year. I hadn’t known before then how the Father Christmas legend had developed from an early East European bishop (Saint Nicholas becoming Santa Claus). He gave money and food to the poor, leaving it tactfully in the shoes they left outside their doors, which over time became the presents in the stockings. To me, this gave the perfect half-way house between truth and fiction, with the divide nicely blurred. Now, I talk about how there was a real man, a long long time ago, who was the real Santa Claus. But when they've asked me outright what happens to the stockings by the fireplace, I've started by fudging with "who knows?", and then over time, have come clean and confessed that it is really Mummy and Daddy. But we say "it's fun to pretend it's him", and we do just that. We do the carrot for the reindeer and the mince pie and whisky for Santa, and on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, we act it out just like proper believing families. There’s plenty of mystery and magic, but no room for future disappointment.

But here’s the really intriguing thing. Even when I have debunked the myth, my children have each believed, because they have chosen to. For each of them, there have been 2 or 3 years when they have known that Santa isn’t real, but they’ve believed in him anyway. I don’t know whether it’s peer group pressure, or the desire for fairy tale, but they have taken the lead and acted the story out so hard, that Husband and I have followed along. For you non-weird parents, that may well be an argument to support your approach of keeping the myth alive from the outset. I prefer to interpret it as an argument that it doesn’t really matter which approach you take, so long as everyone has fun.

23 comments:

  1. I cannot remember ever believing in FC and assume it is because I was the 3rd/last child and no-one else did by the time I came along. I am pretty sure my 6 yo doesn't either as like Iota (but less cleverly/thought-out-ly, probably cos I am just a crapper Mom) I am sure I convey those "inverted commas." Will it be different with small boy - rising 2? Who knows.

    Love
    Josephine
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was five, I was told by another kid down the street that Santa wasn't real. I went home crying and asked my mom tearfully, "Is it true?" She hesitated for a second and I think she could see just how upset I was and she replied, "What do you think?" I said "Santa Claus is real and I'm believing in him!" And even though I knew deep down it was all just a fairy-tale, I believed for another year with all my heart.

    On another note, FC in England gets whiskey? Wow! I'm moving there before Christmas this year and I'll have to commit that one to memory. Over in Ohio where I grew up, he only got milk. How boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem about telling any lies to my kids. I did however make an exception for Saint Nicolas and the Easter Bunny. I feel bad every time, but I see how happy it makes them. I completely get not wanting to, though. It sucks to lie. I also use the "what do you think?" line a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We try and get round it by not making too big a deal of Father Christmas but with the eldest starting school this year, I guess this will be crunch time. I think I'll be on teh 'what do you think' side of things too.

    Father Christmas gets whiskey and mincepies here, with a few carrots for the reindeer too! Milk? How is a man supposed to visit every household in the world on a glass or two of milk??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a tough one, definitely. I'm hoping that with the Dutch connection meaning my boys get both Sinta Klaas (St Nicholas) AND Father Christmas, they'll start to work it all out for themselves, but for the time being they definitely believe in both and are pretty determined to continue doing so.

    BTW, there is a whole industry in the Netherlands based around convincing children Sinta Klaas is the real deal; he arrives in ship at the end of November and there is a whole parade through the streets of the Hague with a properl festival atmosphere. National News carries Sinta Klass updates, and there is even a website devoted to him and his helpers. Hmm - am thinking there may be fodder for a post here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if we suggested leaving whisky out, the children would work out pretty quickly that Father Christmas must be their dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember telling my mom I didn't believe in Santa when I was 4 or 5 and her response was, "If you want me to buy you any presents you better start believing..."

    I was always wishy washy on Santa Claus with my daughter for the reasons you mentioned. I am not sure she ever really believed, but didn't out right say it to people until she was 6ish.

    The one fantasy character I have never indulged is the Easter Bunny. The Easter Bunny never hides the eggs or leaves basics of toys. We always dye eggs together and then hide them when we are at Grandma's house her cousins. To me Easter is the whole point of Christianity and I will never understand why we feel the need to dumb it down with rabbits and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cousin told me FC wasn't real when I was about eight and I staunchly refused to believe him. But, after that it slowly dawned on me. And you know what - I really wasn't that upset. I think I was old enough to disbelieve by then. In any case, my sister and I had never quite seen how he got into our flat, which didn't have a chimney....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im one of the lying mummies, I confess! However, I loved the piece on 'sowing the seeds of doubt' because I must admit to some of that as well--I just didn't want it to be a major shock.

    Its easy to not spin tales about the Easter Bunny in the UK as its not such a big deal here, so I got out of that one. But fairies? We did have some at the bottom of the garden until my daughter began to work out it was my writing only very very small. Am I evil?

    Daughter survived the reality, she has saved the letters. When she asked why I made the fairies up (she didnt ask about Santa) I said 'because I wanted to plant some idea that there are things we can believe in without evidence.' She liked it so I retained mum points. Terribly unscientific, oh well. Maybe I'm the weird parent! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. While writing my recently published Christmas novel, I did a lot of research on Christmas around the world. It is interesting how the different cultural versions of Santa Claus, or Saint Nicholas, or Father Christmas, or many more, all have one thing in common. That is, they remind us of the benefits of unselfish, anonymous, generosity. It’s the idea of giving that should be in focus; we are all on this planet together for the long run. So let’s be kind to one another.


    All the best,
    Eric Dana Hansen, Author of "IAN, CEO, North Pole"
    http://www.ianceonorthpole.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've also talked about it being the season and spirit of Christmas to our boys. We think that way it won't be such a big shock when they find the truth out about Father Christmas.

    So sorry I've not responded to your email yet -- not forgotten about you, it's just been a little hectic round here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never really believed, just too realistic I think. But my 10 year old son is absolutely convinced he's real and I don't think he's doing it just to keep us happy. It's really sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had issues with it too, and I've gone along with it in much the same way as you, basically because I'm not brave enough to rock the boat, or deal with my mother's reaction. I'm so over the whole thing now, I am really hoping that by this Christmas the youngest (who will be 11) will have seen through all the hints.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always had fun believing in Santa Claus. We did the St. Nick thing too (and Epiphany Jan. 6th). It was a great time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh i hate the deception! hate it hate it hate it. creeping around in the dark, convinced that they are watching and their little hearts are breaking. it's the worst thing, as is the damn tooth fairy (although it's a mouse here in france, must be something to do with the camembert). I'm SURE my 10 year old must suspect, and i've never had to tell a lie about it, but am already looking forward to the day when they've rumbled us.
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post.
    I loved the magic of Christmas when I was young. I don't remember feeling lied to when I found out old FC wasn't real. I carried on the pretence for two more years as I didn't want to let my parents know that I knew. Who's fooling who?!
    My OH is vehemently against FC as he doesn't want to lie to the children.
    I would like them to have a bit of magic in their childhood. This doesn't necessarily have to be FC, but as you point out, peer pressure is a terrible thing!
    I like the idea of "FC"!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your approach, a nice balance.
    I, too smart for my own good, figured out that Father Christmas was mum and dad at about 6 "because he has the same handwriting as you, mummy". Then I became "in on the secret" for my sister and brother. It was fun to pretend, and in fact we kept up the pretence for many years (at least until we were in college). By then Santa would get five bits of christmas cake, a Whiskey, a Baileys, a Tia Maria, a pint of guinness and a G and T when we got home after midnight mass. No one ever ate the carrot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the magic of Father Christmas. I knew full well he didn't exist probably at around 5 years old, but I went to great efforts to keep believing, even so. Just like my belief in fairies has never truly wavered, despite much evidence to the contrary. And I want my daughters to join in the wonder of these things. Chris, however, is far more pragmatic about it and would happily tell the truth right now. Evidence, science, and so on being more important to him, it seems.

    Don't believe in God, though, I'm afraid, and am quite adamant in making this very clear to my children. Hmm. Wonder what that says about me?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved Santa but my little brother went through a stage of being quite scared of him. E and M are ok with the idea though M didn't want to see him last year. The issue I have now is that E is 9 and still believes. When do I tell her? I don't want her to be embarrassed or teased. She's not the only one amongst her friends who still believes, but she's an August birthday and there are kids a whole year older than her pretty much who may give her a hard time. Arghhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally agree with you - when I first had children I thought 'there's no way I'm going to lie to my children'...I didn't want them to think that I was in on this great big lie when I should have been on theor side, telling them the truth. But nursery (and friends and family) were so into the whol idea of FC that I felt so mean to tell the truth...so I played along with it. That and the fact that I didn't want them to be the ones in class who told the others...and looked like know alls! They're 5 and (almost) 3 now and they both still believe in him, although I don't think they will for much longer. Here's anticipating the fall out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember one Christmas Eve when my mother collected the stocking at the end of my bed, believing me to be asleep. I was but she stubbed her toe on my bed and woke me up. Traditionally, FC collected the stocking. I asked, "Why've you got my stocking, mummy?"

    Quick as a flash, she replied that FC had had a particularly rough journey from Greenland and was very tired so she said she'd get the stocking from upstairs while he had a cup of tea to recover.

    And I believed her and, what's more, I was thrilled to think that FC was in our kitchen! I was 23. It was a few years before I discovered the truth. Happy daze.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad you've tackled this issue; I too have felt uneasy about fibbing to my children, but am reluctant to risk causing social tension. Lovely story about stockings/shoes, one to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ps I tried to leave comment earlier but have been having trouble with my Google account...

    ReplyDelete