Monday, June 3, 2013

It was a moment

I had a moment the other day.

I've stayed on a couple of email lists, and yes, I know, I know, we left America 11 months ago, so it probably is time to drop off them. But they don't generate much traffic, so they don't clog up my inbox, and it's kind of fun to keep an eye on them. One is the book club I belonged to, and I like to see what they are reading. The other is the study group I belonged to at church. Now, that was a special group in my life. You may remember reading about those people in this post.

I had a phone conversation with the friend who convenes that group out of the blue recently. It was fun to catch up - both the big things, and the little stuff. And then, just after, there was another email in my inbox. I hardly read them, these days, but the second paragraph caught my eye. 

"Also, on another note, for those of you who knew Husband and Iota, I got a call from her the other day and they are all doing well in Scotland. Husband likes his new job, the kids are doing well, and their house in America finally sold (Iota says thank you for the prayers and hello to all!)."

"For those of you who knew Husband and Iota..."  That was the moment. What? There are people in that group who don't know me? Seriously? You mean, it's not all just exactly as I left it? How can that be? People definitely aren't allowed to do that. My life there is in a box, and that box is absolutely not permitted to be shaken up.

It was a moment. 

I'm going to remove myself from those email lists. I'm in another church group over here now, and a couple of weeks ago, a friend and I decided to start a book club. We're reading The Great Gatsby... Life moves on.

It was just a moment. Those moments feel rather more like this, though.



Photo credits: IKEA, and Wikipedia

.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure it will be the same when I move on. I am on lots of lists here, and not even sure how to unsubscribe from some. Strangely enough, 3 other members of my book club are also leaving, for elsewhere in America, so the whole group will change. And, we are reading the Great Gatsby too (given the local connection). One thing I'm determined to do when I get back is join a book club - such a good way to get to know local people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know, I still feel like that 2 yrs on (on June 23rd!) Friends did it to me recently; they went to visit Albania at Easter & sent me a photo of our old apartment (in a 3 storey villa) It had been turned into a nursery school!! Nooooooooo! And the new city ring road ran past the end of our old road (completely ruining that quiet corner of Tirana for ever)
    I am not reading The Great Gatsby for book club, but it's one of my favourite books to teach. We're doing The Pursuit of Love- Nancy Mitford!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was Living Down UnderJune 3, 2013 at 7:46 AM

    The picture of that clock is perfect. That's exactly what it feels like. It's why I don't like visiting places where I used to live. It's never the same - life and people move on. As do we I guess. Great post - you captured the feeling exactly.

    PS: Sorry for the deletion before - had computer troubles :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sort of have that in reverse when I come back to England. Some people when they bump into me, assume I've been back for years, which is a bit weird since they have't even seen me. Makes me feel like a tiny little speck on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still get email invitations from swanky nightclubs. Makes me chuckle, covered in butternut squash and baby biscuits dried into concrete consistence. As if... BUT it reminds me that the world outside is till turning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it's worse when I see people who work at a company I used to work at for a long time. I was a stalwart. And then I left. And then I was forgotten. Makes me want to shout: But I was there before you. How dare you replace me. Completely get it.

    ReplyDelete