Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Camping - the verdict

One of the troubles with blogging is that you sometimes anticipate what you are going to do in real life in terms of how you are going to blog about it. So when we set off for our camping trip, I'd already semi-written in my head two possible posts. One ended: "...and as I lay there, listening to the birds singing and watching the morning light creep up, I felt so relaxed and happy, that I knew camping had found itself a new convert". The other ended: "...and I decided that, much as I like the idea of camping, I'm just too old and comfort-loving to enjoy the reality".

The trouble is, neither applied. I didn't love it. But I didn't hate it. It was... ok.

We arrived at the campsite late on Friday night. There was a fish and chip van on the site, which seemed like a good start to the week-end, so we ate fish and chips in our car. (Too cold to be outside.) Then we started to put up the tent. The instructions start like this:

"Helpful hint: Please practice pitching your tent in good weather before you go away on a holiday or break. This ensures that you are familiar with the tent, with the experience being especially valuable if you later have to pitch in adverse weather conditions."

Eminently sensible. We hadn't done that, though. (And I didn't like the mis-spelling of "practice".) We did ok for a while, and got the hoops into the flysheet. It was windy, and the flysheet kept ballooning up, but morale was high, and it all seemed like fun. Then the instructions started talking about fitting the hoops onto the pins, and we hadn't a clue where or what the pins were. At that point, the nice friendly man from the next door pitch came over, and asked if we needed a hand. We said, yes, we do need a hand. He proceeded to instruct us and help us put up the tent, which was just as well, as the light was fading and so was I. (We did have a Plan B, I hasten to add -we're not THAT gung-ho - but it was nice not to have to fall back on it.) Meanwhile, someone from another tent came over and asked us if we'd like a cup of tea. We said, yes, we would like a cup of tea. She then pressed us to partake of some of the chili which she and her family had had for dinner, (but we'd already had the fish and chips). They are very friendly, those camping folk down in Northumberland.

The first night passed without adventure. On Saturday morning, I was the first up, and I had the kettle whistling on the gas, cups of tea ready for all, and cereal standing by bowls, before you could say "continental breakfast". It was sunny. Camping felt good.

We spent Saturday at Alnwick Castle (thoroughly recommend it, good day out), and then Saturday night in the tent, again without adventure. We packed up the tent on Sunday morning, and then headed back to Alnwick to visit Barter Books. If you like second hand bookshops, this one is a must. It's in the former station, and is wonderfully atmospheric. It's where the original "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster was found, which is framed and displayed over the counter.

But back to Keep Calm and Carry On Camping. What's the verdict?

I can see us having fun, camping as a family. The week-end brought back lots of memories of my own childhood camping experiences, and I'd love my kids to have similar memories of their own. But it's not exactly comfortable, is it? The facilities at the campsite were very good, but it's all very communal, isn't it? I'm not sure my idea of fun is a draughty shower in verucca city, having to hurry because I'm aware of the queue of people outside.

The children rose to the occasion. They said afterwards that they'd enjoyed it and would want to go again. There wasn't much bickering and complaining, though I wouldn't swear it had been exactly a zero on that front. 15-yo deserves a medal, for sleeping in the living bit of the tent (it was a 4-person tent - Husband and I took one sleeping compartment, 12-yo and 9-yo took the other). We hadn't velcroed the groundsheet to the flysheet, and I could feel a howling gale around my be-bedsocked ankles as I prepared for the night. 15-yo had a horrendous cold - the kind of cold that makes your head feel like an exploding tomato. But he laid his poorly head down on a rolled-up fleece (pillows provided only for the over 40s), in the gale, without complaint. His cold was much better in the morning, oddly enough.  Husband also gets a medal, as he'd been out camping in the hills with the school Cadet Corps the night before we camped. That's devotion to duty for you.

So we're going to buy a tent. We concluded that camping would be a fun thing to add to the family repertoire. I envisage us using it for week-ends here and there, and though I wouldn't rule out camping for a week or two as our main summer holiday, I also wouldn't rule out renting a holiday house instead. It struck me that camping isn't the cheap option that it used to be. You're looking at £25 a night, or more, and you can easily get a holiday house for a family the size of ours for 4 times that. Plus you have to buy the tent and kit in the first place. I pointed this out to Husband. He invited me to think of it in this way: you can have 4 weeks' holiday in a tent for the price of every 1 week you can have in a holiday cottage. But hm... I'm not sure I'd come down as equivocally in favour of the 4 weeks under canvas as he would. Short, sharp, sweet, luxurious burst of holiday might win over prolonged discomfort. (And it's not "under canvas" these days, is it? It's "under nylon" which doesn't have the same ring at all.) I've also just been browsing the Eurocamps website and other similar ones, and those fixed tents seem pretty reasonably priced.

The one thing I would have changed about the week-end was the location of our tent. The campsite had caravans round the edge, presumably because they need their electricity hook-ups. We were shown to a pitch in the middle. In the morning, as I stretched and yawned and poked my head out of the tent door, I wasn't greeted by a rural vista of beauty and serenity. We were surrounded, at close quarters, by a ring of caravans, 4 x 4s, and motor-caravans. It wasn't exactly the "back to nature" experience that camping is meant to provide. More like being on a stationary grass version of the M25. Another time, I would choose my own spot, or if that wasn't allowed, request a rather more secluded one.

I think this post has given an unfairly negative impression. I sound very reluctant. But we did have a good time, and we've made the decision to buy a tent. That can't be a bad conclusion, can it?

Anyone selling a tent?


                                                    Alnwick Castle as we saw it, on a sunny day, with a carpet of daffodils. Beautiful.
                                                            Photo credit:  bbc.co.uk

.

20 comments:

  1. Rule 1 of camping - competitive (as in mine is better than yours) comfy beds. We have only just progressed to sleeping bags after years of camping (5 yo's first trip was a 2 weeker, age about 9 months), and that's cos the kids think they are fun. Double airbed (separate air chambers), blanket then undersheet, own duvet and pillows. Get the air levels right and your bed is very inviting and lovely, and camping becomes a joy. Any feelings of "hardy-ness" are too 70s and you will get fed up soon. There's a place for being hardy, and a place for being comfy!!!!! xxx J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not selling a tent, but can I highly recommend the place where I bought ours on ebay:http://stores.ebay.co.uk/NEARLY-NEW-TENTS
    They are very clear if the tent has been used, however most commonly their tents have been put up once at a trade show then packed away again, or are models that Vango produced as tests and decided not to mass-manufacture. I watched their offerings for a while then snapped up an absolutely bargain, around 40% of what it would have cost elsewhere. (It was a Vango Tigris which actually sounds ideal for you, it has a two bedrooms for two (though just a hanging sheet between rather than wholly separate pods) and another pod that can be added if there's a 5th person or bigger living area if not used). The tent was perfect, and I actually bought again from then for our Guiding unit and would use them again if I needed another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the kids have been left with really good memories of the weekend. They don't seem to suffer the same planning worries and reluctance that we do as adults, and they don't usually have as much clean-up work to do after.

    You've made me miss camping! I used to love it when my kids were small and we could explore the area, searching fore new bugs, and streams to wade in.

    I'm a bit jealous you got to see Alnwick in the spring. We were there in January and missed the daffodils. My poor daughter was not pleased that the castle was closed for the season either, but we still had a fantastic dinner in the Treehouse.

    I hope you try it again! (And I second the air-bed option)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and tent shopping, it's worth doing LOTS of research. Go to tent shows/displays/shops and take the kids and make everyone lie down and then see how much space, whose late night light requirements will disturb who etc. Imagine your life in it! Built in groundsheet always good to keeping out rain, frogs etc. We have a 4 bed 2 reception detached one for long stays - you can cook in the porch area which closes off from the elements, and still have a space inside big enough to eat/loll about playing games/reading etc. The body of it goes up quite fast but it takes quite a while to get it all guyed out/pegged down etc, and though minusucle compared with the frame thing my parents had, is still big and heavy. Bit leaky, but we know where, are always prepared and it feels like "character." We also have a Decathlon popup with 2 double bedrooms and a space between, takes nanoseconds to put up and now the children can help too. Great for a few nights away, esp if weather good and you can eat outside, cheap, doesn't leak and takes up pretty much no space on its bag. HAVE FUN! (Or a camper van.... ;-) ) J xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure we ever used a tent as alternative accommodation on holiday, apart from Scripture Union holiday camps which were genuinely under canvas, but I have wonderful memories of proper wild camping on Dartmoor with my Dad - much less of the M25 feel about it and a truly magical wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds good - apart from the howling gale and 15 yo's terrible cold. I agree about the caravans. So many people have them now that sole tent users seem to be in the minority. There ought to be campsites just for tents where you can enjoy nature without the whir of generators!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your 15 year old sounds like an angel! I have to say, you're a braver woman than me. I visit Northumberland quite regularly (I come from Geordie stock) and the thought of braving the elements there terrifies me! I could probably just about manage camping in the south of France or Spain, at a push.

    I'd be sad to miss out on Alnwick Castle though. I agree, it's magnificent. Your photo really does it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our first family camping trip was right after we moved to Arizona when Son #2 was 3 years old. We had a 3-man compact pop-up tent (from our young backpacking days)for 4 of us - our reasoning was that the 2 small boys were about the size of a 3rd adult (this, by the way, turned out to be flawed logic.) As it happened, there were gale-force winds that night, and #1 spent most of the night wide awake worrying about bears (he'd read a notice by the lavatories warning everyone to keep their food sealed up to avoid attracting them.) We all slept horribly, and froze because we weren't prepared for the huge temperature drop when we drove north from Phoenix (which was 115F when we left.) Bizarrely enough - we stuck with it, and some of our best family memories took place during camping trips in Sedona and other parts of northern Arizona. I'll never forget the night I looked out of the tent flap to investigate some strange noises only to see a herd of elk wandering through the campground in the moonlight. Oh - and 'anonymous' is correct - a comfortable air mattress and a good night's sleep make all the difference. Hope you'll give it another chance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh we used to love our annual camping holiday of 1 week, with a night in a hotel tagged onto the end of it! Reading your post brought back lovely memories, and that campsite (Eagle Point, Ballilickey, West Cork, Ireland) gave the best pitches to tents..literally beside the Atlantic Ocean. Fab!
    I'd love to try it again, but we gave the tent to a charity shop when kids were teenagers...maybe that was foolish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here, camping in the desert is a big thing. Some people love it. Tho I'm ashamed to say that in 5 years, we still haven't got round to it! I'd always blamed the fact our youngest was still a baby - but now he's 4, I think that excuse no longer works - and, you know what, I think you've inspired me! Yes. Desert camping here we come

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...after the summer, when air conditioning not needed!!!! Glad you had a good time! It sounds a success to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved camping in the States and so I was excited to take my daughter camping here. We pitched at Durdle Door on Dorsit and the lcoation was lovely, except it was on a slope and there were legions of crows that woke loudly at 4.30 am. I was immensely grumpy by the end of it all but my daughter still declares it to be one of her best holidays ever! Kids. They're awesome!

    PS I think you already know this, but used to live in Alnwick Castle--it was my first residence in the UK. Fact!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a blast but i'm a campaphobic - I mean how do I make a capuccino on the campsite know what I mean? And I can't sleep in a tent without an air mattress and even then I can't sleep thinking I'm gonna be eaten by a bear. Call me neurotic....

    ReplyDelete
  14. As Americans, we definitely have had a head-scratch about this type of camping. It is curious that you can't just go into the forest and pitch a tent in the middle of nature. 'Verucca City' - eww, well put.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always spent my half an hour to read this weblog's posts daily along with a cup of coffee.

    Also visit my blog - Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  16. The commenter before me has distracted me a little. Might be off to check out his blog now. Sounds intriguing.

    Anyway, I can't believe you are actually converted. I am all with EmmaK on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well now you've given me a dilemma! Your test weekend of camping was, of course, all about me and my need for a camping guinea pig ;) so I must admit I was rather hoping for a resounding thumbs up or thumbs down, I wanted to hear about the utter heaven or complete hell of camping. Of course the "it was ok" verdict is no doubt much more accurate but it leaves me hesitating on what to do. I'm sorry Iota but I may have to send you out to the "field" again, sooner than anticipated, for further research.

    Beautiful castle, I really miss seeing lots of jolly daffs waving in the breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, over here from is there a plan b, and had a lovely half hour flicking through your blog with a cup of tea... I've just started a blog and my third post was about his much I love tea... Fabulous stuff.

    ReplyDelete