Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Angelina

I haven't forgotten I owe you a post on our camping trip, but this morning, I just have to say Good for you, Angelina Jolie. She has had a preventative double mastectomy, because her risks of developing breast and ovarian cancer were assessed as high (87% for breast cancer). It's a brave decision - though I'd want to say that choosing not to have a mastectomy in that situation is also a brave decision. Dealing with risk always requires bravery, if you think about it.

On the radio this morning, I heard an interview with the woman who had Britain's first preventative double mastectomy. She said that she'd had to fight hard for that, and that everyone thought she was mad. She's a brave woman. Trail-blazing requires bravery too.

For Angelina, I think telling the world what she's done is brave. What she said is so careful and thoughtful, that it inspires huge respect in me. She said: "I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity".

Good on ya, Angelina. I mean, it's easy for someone like me to say that. Well, not easy, exactly, but... Anyway, back to you, Angelina. Your public image, your career success, your financial worth, your value in the eyes of so many... they all hang on your physical appearance. So to say that your surgery in no way diminishes your femininity is wonderful. I guess you won't feel that all the time, and I'm sure you'll have your ups and downs, but for the moment, I just think you've done a great thing, by talking about your decision in such a way. What a fab person to rally behind! I'm on your team, Angelina! Next time you're over in Europe, pop in and we'll have a cuppa, and share mastectomy stories. You had the "nine weeks of complex surgery required for a double mastectomy", whereas I did all that in half an afternoon! But don't worry - I totally won't be competitive about that.

And you have a small, fictional, ballet-loving mouse sharing your name. That can't be bad.


                                                                                                                                                                  Photo credit: Reuters

.

9 comments:

  1. People would have us think that our femininity is so tied up to the fact that we have those breasts that we eagerly wait for when we are young. In the end, we need them for just one thing, and that is for feeding the children we may have. That is their true function. I, too, applaud Angelina Jolie. She obviously has her head screwed on right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was impressed by what she wrote too, and that she said that she hoped the price of genetic testing would come down so more women could find out if they are at risk of breast cancer. As it currently stands at $3000, yes, it would need to come down to be more widely taken up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this news today and immediately thought of you. Well done to you and her and any other woman who has the courage to do it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard this on the radio and was really impressed. Whatever else you think about Angelina, she is courageous and understands the good that she can do by using her celebrity for good purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aye aye. And hear, hear. And what she said. And all that.

    But one thing occurs to me - and I intend no criticism of Angelina, or anyone else who has gone through something I haven't, and therefore have no right to comment on - lots of the stuff I've read (ie one article - I'm all about the detailed research, me) went on about how what society can learn from this is how a woman's body and how she looks isn't relevant any more, because Angelina Jolie, a woman who, let's face it, is very much judged on how she looks, can have a double mastectomy.

    But then surely, if that were true, she wouldn't also have had presumably painful and extensive reconstructive surgery.

    As I say, it's not my place to comment, and clearly she has gone through something awful and good on her for coming out the other side and encouraging others to get tested and consider making the choice she has made (although I agree with you that not to make it is also brave), but I'm not sure we can extrapolate from this that appearance doesn't matter any more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you, I completely respect AJ for the reasons you give. And it is certainly interesting reading YOUR thoughts on the topic. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is wonderful that she has taken it public - she could have done it quietly. I think it will get more women talking about it, consider the testing, and possibly make hard decisions. I think it is brave to take the test, knowing that you could be staring down the throat of 'what ifs' and 'should I' - a whole can of worms, really. She continues to follow her heart - I admire that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous words as ever.

    Did you know that a newly enfranchised suffragette shared your name? Iota the Voter.

    Brave women who take risks and make brave decisions and good stuff results. We were talking about Rosa Parks yesterday. Another one.

    Love J'ph (and thank you for my b'day msg...we had our first date in Brighton)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Iota. I just wanted to thank you for the words you left for me. And to say that your first paragraph of this blog post had a real impact on me when you said that you are brave if you do make the decision to have a mastectomy and brave if you don't. I think that what Angelina did was incredibly brave. And have been feeling somewhat lacking because I don't think I have the guts to go through all that as a preventative measure. So your words helped me feel like my gut feelings of not going down Angelina's path are also valid. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete