Tuesday, June 18, 2013

He who would valiant be

I still feel I'm new to this "parenting of teenagers" lark, but oldest is 16, so I suppose I have a certain amount of experience. Can I pass on to those of you who may be embarking on the journey one small word of warning?  Forewarned is forearmed, and all that. There is something you need to know about, a beast that rears its ugly  head from time to time during the teenage years. Learn to recognise the monster, and when you see him, turn tail, run, flee, as if your sanity depended on it (it may, in reality, do so). Those who stand and fight are courageous, but usually live to regret it.

The beast seems innocent enough. It starts off as a "letter home". The warning sign is this (take it from a seasoned recipient of the "letter home"): the letter home includes words such as personal development, initiative-taking, leadership-training, challenging, team-building or responsibility. These are the tell-tale indicators of the poison within.

Yes, dear Bloggy Friends, it's the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme Expedition. Enough of a monster in its own right, with its kit list, and its early morning start, and its production of dirty laundry mounds the size of mythical giants. But, worst of all, let it be known among you brave warriors of the teenage parenting cause, this challenge, this adventure, this quest, is not your child's but your own.

Thanks, Prince Phillip. Thanks very much. You thought you were giving young people the chance to flex their muscles, to develop their personalities, to grow in character. But, bless your recuperating cotton socks, you couldn't have foreseen how the way young people are treated would change, and that in fact you were creating a challenge of gargantuan dimensions for parents.

It starts with the letter home, and the request for a cheque. (Do some kids have to earn the money to pay for these trips themselves, or do all we parents just cough up?)

Then there's the kit list. This is the parent's first challenge. How do you get the kit list? Some parents, sneaky devils, ask the school, or download it from the school website, or even look it out from the pile of paper that arrived home at the end of the previous term. But there are noble saints, valiant champions of the cause of "teaching your young person leadership skills", who stand firm, and request the list, repeatedly, from their off-spring. Was it Don Quixote who tilted at windmills? I know how he felt. An honourably-intentioned, but fruitless, activity.

Then the second challenge. Buying the items on the kit list. I'm told there are those who go to shops and do so. Others, we of strong mind and valour, talk to our child of "taking responsibility", and set mind-taxing challenges such as "when can we find a time for you to come shopping with me?" We have close to our heart, the development of our child's problem-solving skills.

These foes must be vanquished, before the young adventurer can move onto the most difficult obstacle he has yet encountered. Packing. You must metaphorically hold his hand, as he advances forth into the bedroom, to extract the rucksack from the deep monster's lair known as "the wardrobe". Then you must stand sentinel, warding off maleficient younger siblings, as the young knight lays his belongings out on the floor, and grapples with the task of fitting them all into the rucksack. He who displays moral stature will succeed. Others will be distracted from the task by their trusty iPods, and expect the packing fairies (who they still believe in) to do the deed for them.

I could go on, but you get my drift. This is the second such trip my son has been on. Apparently they are "designed to give opportunities to develop leadership skills and show responsibility", but it's all a huge myth. The teachers and parents run around getting them ready. They jump into lochs, or go abseiiling, or climb over an obstacle course, but it doesn't teach them anything to do with responsibility. It teaches them abseiling and obstacle courses. Every time I try and inject a bit of "taking responsibility" into it, I just end up with a ridiculous dilemma, such as today's which is "do I let my son go off hiking in the Scottish Highlands without walking boots that fit, and learn through blisters and pain that it might have been better to have made preparations, or do I figure out a way of buying him some boots even though he now doesn't have time to get to a shop, and make it all ok for him on this occasion, thus implying that if you don't make preparations, it doesn't matter because someone will bail you out?" Neither seems a very good option.

I tell you, if I was King for a day, I could design an award scheme which would teach young people plenty of useful skills. It would involve
  • several hours of picking up dirty laundry from bedroom floors, followed by several hours of putting clean laundry in drawers
  • workshops on how to unload a dishwasher (with those who show exceptional ability given further training in how to unload a dishwasher without even being asked)
  • lock-in sessions where they are kept in an enclosed space with younger siblings and not allowed out until they have worked out how to share the space without aggravating those siblings, physically, mentally or emotionally
  • trips to the corner shop with a  pound coin to buy a pint of milk, including compulsory use of the pedestrian crossing, and with optional instruction in how to complete the task cheerfully and without implying to others that you are being asked to trek across half the city
  • and finally - but mind you, this would only be for the gold award - how to get ready for a school trip without stressing out your mother.
And to any of my offspring who might be reading this at some point in the future, let me just say, wait till you have kids of your own and they start going on these kinds of trips, and you'll see what I mean.


11 comments:

  1. ARGH!!!!!

    Yes. Parents should get an award as well. We are in the middle of the Bronze Award and I am feeling dizzy with the effort (and worry about getting it wrong, of course) already.

    I love your award scheme, by the way. Where do we sign up?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes when Baby Lu engages in screeching, hair pulling and screaming I console myself thinking that toddlerdo(o)m is a walk in the park when compared to puberty. Thank you, Iota, for confirming it today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm for your award scheme...
    However... For the teenager the scheme must be harsher and stricter... we do have to prepare them for real life after all!!
    Also, I must tell you that your writing is captivating and really good! I love your sense of humor as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just spat tea over my computer... and I'm not anywhere near that stage yet. Still I feel those life lessons (especially the laundry and younger sibling ones) could be useful in the very young. Will your award be available for the under 10s?

    How're his blisters anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant post. Yes, Prince Phillip has a lot to answer for.

    I did Duke of Edinburgh Bronze at boarding school, and I don't remember my parents being at all involved. How did that happen I wonder? Maybe the kit is more complicated these days, as I don't even remember if I had hiking boots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Iota. I think the point about the hiking boots particularly brings it home. Even on regular weekends away to Granny's, when I insist my daughter pack her own things, she invariable arrives with 2 pairs of shorts (when it's cold and rainy), a t-shirt (previously worn), a pair of socks and no underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter and youngest son have just had this experience.
    The cost of the kit was phenomenal.
    Daughter had to do all the packing as son didn't seem to have a clue (or is very spoiled).
    Son came back soaked to the skin as it had rained the whole time. He slept for hours afterwards and said never again. After buying all that kit!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  8. Business idea right there: Sortyourshitout.com - training courses for teens who believe magic fairies make things happen. Time for the truth. Can you handle the truth? Time to sort your shit out and get real.

    I swear you could make a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that's all so familiar! I currently have a camp kit list to work my way through & it contains things I've never heard of - I ask the 14 year old and he shrugs his shoulders. I don't even know whether I need to go to a camping shop, hardware store or clothes shop.
    I'll book him on the training course you're suggesting once you've got it up & running!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I left a lengthy comment on this I am sure but the interweb seems to have eaten it so I am going to be cheeky and leave a ink http://www.aguidinglife.co.uk/2013/06/a-parents-dofe-expedition.html I've also recently experienced DofE world but I'm 100% convinced of it's benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd vote for you! I'm not looking forward to this stage of teenagehood. Or to most of it to be fair...

    ReplyDelete