Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dear So and So

Dear Man whose fiancee's car I scraped

I'm enclosing a check of the amount of $216.25 [made out to the garage, not to you.]. I feel obliged to do this, as I did cause the damage. It does seem very expensive, though, for a scrape the size of a nickel. I'm not going to be claiming this on insurance - I know that sometimes make a difference to how auto service centers approach the charges to these things [is that what you call them over here? repair garages? why do I still have so many occasions when I don't know the right words? you have no idea how much I hate that].

This sum represents significant expenditure for us [I know you're going to look at my fancy check and think we have some kind of premium account because we're fantastically rich, but we opened that account when we came over from Scotland, and we were bringing sums of money over - the proceeds of our house sale, that kind of thing - so they gave us a fancy check book, don't let it mislead you]. If you could see your way to finding a more affordable repair shop, I would be really very grateful. [This amount would pay for me to have my hair re-highlighted THREE times.]

[And by the way, it gives me small but satisfying pleasure to think of a 'Not the Nine O'Clock News' sketch from way back, which you would never have seen because it wouldn't have been on US television, in which a gorilla being interviewed by Pamela Stephenson has the same name as you.]

Yours sincerely

Iota


Let's see if there is decency in this world, shall we? I know, I just know, that there would be no point insisting on other quotes, or trying to negotiate over the phone. I think, honestly, it's worth $216.25 not to have to pursue this any further.


Dear Fiancee

Please don't marry this man. Marry someone nicer.

Yours sincerely

Iota

.

12 comments:

  1. That is SO annoying. He probably has some kind of deal going with the "shop" whereby they give him a bit of the money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am furious on your behalf re Mr Rubbish Fiance. You should have mentioned your cute accent and that fact that you are recovering from cancer, just to try out his guilt glands.

    Though I like your hair and irritatingly for you, kind of wish mine would do that. Though I somewhat agree about the purple bits. But at least it gives you cred with your children and grandchildren - "when I had those purple highlights..."

    Josie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a git. No idea how a scrape could cost that much (although everything to do with cars in America seems to be eye-wateringly expensive. Except petrol. Which probably should be).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This man really is a so and so.... (or at least that's what my granny would have called him, I'm going for something rather stronger).

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a horrible guy. Really. i hope she finds someone with a kinder heart to marry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you phone some garages to get a ball park figure yourself? If it helps I regularly had to have scratches (and cigarette burns) fixed when I had a nice car and they have to do a whole panel to make it even - generally cost me about £250 a time (about 375 dollars). I think the paintshops are the ones making a killing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, he's DEFINITELY got a quote for a whole panel, but whether he'll actually replace it is another thing. Sigh.
    So sorry.
    Like the letter to the fiancee.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. He sounds total p...erson! I'd be all for saying so sue me but then again I think I am a bit hormonal at present!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The whole insurance thing/cash scape thing never ends pleasantly. Don't lose and sleep over it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh great! Another Yank trying to get the max from an accident...and now he's called Gerald the Gorilla in my head - I think you should forgive him because that's punishment enough. I bet the gorilla was better spoken!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HA! LOVE THIS!

    Specifically, the note to the fiance.

    ReplyDelete