Friday, April 9, 2010

Expats, are you voting?

I have to vote. I do. My grandmother impressed it on me. "When I was your age, I couldn't vote because I was a woman" she told me. "You must always vote. Always. It's your moral duty." So I do. I always vote. I vote because of the generations of women before me who were not able to. I vote because women fought, and were imprisoned, and force fed, so that I could. I vote because my grandmother couldn't until she was 29.

It's not difficult, as an expat. Don't use that as an excuse. You have to register, and then either choose a postal vote (unlikely to be workable unless you live in Europe, and even then, a little risky), or nominate someone to vote for you by proxy. You can print out the forms here. You'll need to be quick, as the forms have to be at the electoral registration office by April 20th, but you've got the time to achieve that if you want. The forms aren't difficult or time-consuming. The only part of the process that is likely to be an inconvenience is having to find another UK passport holder to witness your signature (can't trust any foreign johnnie to do that). I've got a bit stuck on finding a proxy, but I'm persevering. I couldn't look Emmeline Pankhurst or my grandmother in the face if I didn't. "Too much of a nuisance to keep on emailing" wouldn't impress them as an excuse.

Who to vote for is the next question. Brown, Cameron, or Clegg? I usually choose the one with the prettiest wife, because I always feel that says a lot about a man.

What about you? Are you living abroad but still going to vote? Or do you feel that if you're not in the country, you shouldn't have a say in its elections?

(And yes, I was joking about the wives thing...)

Post script

I realise on re-reading this post that it sounds as if my grandmother was a sufragette. She wasn't. Not as far as I know, anyway. But having been unable to vote as a young woman, she was very aware of the need to pass on what that had felt like to me.


.

16 comments:

  1. I've printed my form off and filled it in, just the difficult task of deciding who is next going to ruin the country...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! All women should vote because of the terrible things that happened to the suffragettes in order that we might HAVE the right to vote.
    Problem is....... who to vote for........
    Surely has to be more than pretty wives......... but I wish I could find something else that caught my eye.
    So come on EXPATS....... do your stuff for your old country. Choose the right man.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I will vote. And in the UK there is really no excuse, it is so easy compared to the process in the US. Not sure who I will vote for yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, just saw you wrote "expats"... have no idea what the process is ... do they make it really difficult? As a US expat I did bend over backwards to make sure I voted in the Obama election...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, golly, I hope the Albanian post will get my forms in in time. If ONLY I had thought of this, 2 days ago I cd have got my In-Laws to take them home...... Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought there was a cap on how long you had lived outside the country?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree totally with you re voting, it's SO important.
    Far as I know, Irish expats are not allowed to vote in Irish elections.
    Not that it affects me- I live in the place! These days sometimes wish I didn't, but gotta be careful what you wish for.
    Good luck deciding who gets your vote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great that you're voting. I have never lived in the US during election time (I'm American) and it's not easy to keep up with everything from a foreign country. I'm sure you will be happy you did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup - I'm voting. Arranged a proxy vote and scanned all the forms last week. Now I just have to work out who to vote for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done for making the effort to vote. It's so important to, well, say something...even if you're not sure what to say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is commenting on leaders' wives a bit too political for a mommy blog? Or even just their dress sense?

    (If not, Sam Cam a total winner, coolest girl in the fifth (we are reading Malory Towers here) vs Mrs Brown who admittedly tries and doesn't do badly. Mrs Clegg seems to be a continental European therefore born with natural chic and style and excluded on those grounds.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I haven't voted in the Uk since I left. I don't feel that I really understand the issues there any more. And really you are voting for the MP in your district, not the party leader per se, and I don't even know who is standing or who represents North Buckinghamshire any more. Thought provoking post though, seeing as I don't vote anywhere at the moment. I just vote with my credit card by donating to the Democratic party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not voting - I am not very proud of this, for all the reasons you list, but in this particular election I am totally stumped as to who to vote for, so I am using the excuse of being in the US. I can't in all honesty say I want Gordon Brown to continue, and I can't bring myself to vote Tory (I never have..). Plus our constituency at home is an incredibly safe Labour seat anyway. So, I have decided I'll just wait and see what happens and then hopefully make my mind up in the next election, when presumably we will be back.....is that very bad of me?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just listened to David Cameron launching his manifesto. Never heard so many hollow, unconvincing remarks in my life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree with you. I make a huge deal of voting in my own country (Belgium), but my husband is not too bothered, so he doesn't. He has been away from Britain for over ten years now, so perhaps he doesn't feel connected enough any more. I think he should get Belgian citizenship so that he can vote over here at least.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry for asking a stupid question - if you don't live in the UK, but are still entitled to vote - do you vote in a particular contituency? And which one? What decides which one? And - if you've lived abroad for a while, how do you know how the loacl MP performs in the constituency? Or does everyone just vote for The Party?

    ReplyDelete