Monday, April 26, 2010

Associations Part ll: politics for children

This post is part of the Election Carnival, which is being hosted at Mummy do that!

I was writing about associations yesterday. Of course as a parent, you become aware that you sometimes have a hand in creating associations (though usually not...) For example, we all try to give our children associations that make them remember Christmas as fun, magical, exciting, and not stressful, tense, and fattening. As a parent, you're the director of your own family movie.

So when it comes to the election, what kind of association will you be creating for your child? (Or should I say 'trying to create' - for as parents, as directors, we can only do our best...)

I am so grateful to my parents on this score. To me, a general election smacks of excitement. However they did it, they created an atmosphere in which we children knew that something important was afoot. We knew it was fun to talk about politics. We thought it was absolutely fabulous that they disagreed, and we tried to get them to argue (Mum was a staunch Labour supporter, Dad would never tell us outright on the basis that it was private, thereby generating a layer of mystery and added excitement to what we all knew was his Lib Dem vote - whatever the Lib Dem equivalent was at the time). Staying up to watch some of the results was a privilege accorded with age, and those of us sent to bed would be eager to hear the news in the morning. I remember going with my mother to vote, and being shown how to write the X, but not being allowed to do it - that was an important job and hers alone to do. I remember her saying "we're playing our part in history". What child would fail to experience a frisson of excitement at that?

I remember the thrill of naughtiness, when my mother got one of us to jump out of the car, and stick a small, round, red Vote Labour sticker on the nose of the Conservative candidate on the poster on the telegraph pole outside the post office. Zooming away in the Renault 4, it felt for all the world as if we'd been involved in a major heist. It wouldn't have made a jot of difference, I'm sure. We lived in the safest Tory seat in the country. Sir Ian Gilmour had a majority the size of... the size of... oh I don't know... the size of a very large thing. But we were exercising our right to freedom of speech (and maybe we inspired Red Nose Day).

I'm not doing such a good job with my own children, though I have used the "playing our part in history" line a few times, and I have told them how my grandmother couldn't vote till she was 29. If there's an election every five years, you don't honestly have many chances with your children over the course of their childhood. Four? Perhaps five or six if the terms of government are shorter? At least with Christmas you get the opportunity every year.

At the last election, we were living in Scotland. I was working, and Husband was at home (see, I haven't always been a trailing spouse... well, I have actually, that was just a blip... and it didn't work out too well... and why am I defensive about the trailing spouse thing?) Anyway, I charged Husband with making an event out of voting. It had to be fun, but full of gravitas, I said. Memorable, at the very least. The net result was that he crumbled under the pressure and voted Scottish Nationalist by mistake. I bet the SNP doesn't get many votes from English people. Their candidate had the same surname as the local Lib Dem MP (Menzies Campbell), and in the voting booth with a wriggly baby and active preschooler, Husband saw the name at the top of the list and looked no further. To be fair to him, I have to say that when I voted I did notice that the first names were printed very small, much smaller than the surnames, so it was an easy mistake to make. Are there rules about size of names on ballot papers, I wonder? It's an area of potential corruption, come to think of it.

What about you? Are you making history with your children?

And here's a picture of a Renault 4, the perfect getaway car, though ours was dark green (better camouflage).


Photo credit:

.

16 comments:

  1. We had a chat about the election just yesterday with our boys. We pitched it as a competition. They're now super excited about who is going to win it. In their heads, they have visions of an X-Factor type vote off. My 6 year old has asked to come with me when I go vote. I'll take him and let him do the cross for me. I think it's great to open their minds to the world around them.

    I grew up in apartheid South Africa and had no knowledge whatsoever about the world around me - so much so that the first time I ever heard of Nelson Mandela was in 1988, 2 years before he was released. I was 15 at the time. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that sounds like a wonderful thing to have, that memory and excitement. My parents, as far as I remember, never really spoke much about the election and i grew up with a very passive view of it. I wish i had that same excitement about it. A very good post, something to definitely think on when it comes to that time here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My children are really too young to understand, but we'll be having a British friend over for a General Election party on the night (despite having failed to vote) so hopefully they'll realise something's going on.

    I never had that growing up, we were abroad and in those days expats could not vote. But I remember the excitement of the first election when I was in the UK at school - the secret thrill of defying the school status quo and voting for the mock Labour candidate remains with me till this day.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My children are too young although I pointed out Gordon Brown to my four year old on the news the other day. I explained that he was the Prime Minister and was in charge of the country. My four year old said it was boring and he didn't want to watch adult television. I remember my Mum and Dad talking about the election and staying up to watch the results come in. My Dad was a Thatcherite, I thought it was normal to like Margaret Thatcher until I got a bit older! I'll definitely explain these things to my children, it's important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE had a renault4 too! Ours was white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember so clearly Maggie Thatcher getting in, our school shut for the day and I was so proud that a woman had become Prime Minister. I was all of about 5 years old (younger even, -10 possibly as I am not a day over 30 now). I think its hugely important, if only that they feel an obligation to vote when they get older and don't just let the whole democracy thing just drift past them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just posted about my terror when faced with the ballot paper, and thinking about it now that might be because I KNOW how important it is.... My parents were pretty involved in politics too, and I too remember being allowed to stay up late and count the seats changing colour. Being about six months (or so) younger than BiB, I don't remember Maggie coming in, so my childhood was pretty much a sea of blue, but somehow it was still exciting...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my parents always used to impress on me the importance of voting. I'd usually go with my mother when she went to vote, and certainly I felt a definite sense of occasion.

    The trouble was that both regularly voted Labour in a solid Labour constituency so the actual result was always an anticlimax. I seemed to have trouble seeing the larger view of things; what mattered to me was that Labour had won that seat (again). What happened in the country overall passed me by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read somewhere that people that come first on top of the list are more likely to get your vote. So let's sod all the campaigning and just send in candidates whose names start with A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only time I have written about politics was in 1979 I remember writing just one line in my diary: WE HAVE A WOMAN PRIME MINISTER the atmosphere at school where I was boarding was amazing and we all stayed up late to watch her on telly smiling and waving. Although I never accepted all her politics she was amazing for her time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been talking to my 3 year old about the elections; about how we all get to choose who we want to run the country. Simplistic, I know, but I want politics to be a part of all their lives from the start. I find apathy really hard to accept, and I'd hate to see it in my own family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! I similairly get excited abuut elections (and I get to vote in two countries which doubles the fun). I'm proud that my oldest can rattle off who is running and can recognise them on television. She even knows not to mention the S word (Sarah Palin) when I am in earshot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay - this post has given me a good kick up the bum. I haven't even mentioned the general election to my boys. Not a murmer. Not a word. Tho for the first time in nearly 10 years I have applied for a postal vote (not that my vote will arrive in time to be counted...but at least I am trying to be involved). I will add it to my list of things to do tonight. After all, they got quite excited about the Obama election (not that I really spoke to them about that either...but it turns out the school was a little more responsible).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Question: 'Mummy, why do those men look the same, are they brothers?' This question from my eldest son (and I'm sure you can guess which two party leaders it concerned) gave me pause for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am finding the whole thing fascinating at the moment. It wasn't something that was discussed much in our house growing up. My parents said you voted Tory and that was it. I've since learnt to make up my own mind! My daughter doesn't understand any of it but I'm still trying to explain some of it. I'm sure her peers have some basic knowledge of what the election is all about so I'd like her to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for registering for CyberMummy. In a bid to get to know at least something about all the bloggers I have added you to my blogroll and I'm now following your blog.
    You can keep up with my goings on over at http://www.mummy-tips.com - a follow back would be appreciated....
    See you in July.. I have a fab post on election fever too!
    http://www.mummy-tips.com/2010/04/alternative-election-race.html
    Sian.
    xx

    ReplyDelete