Sunday, April 18, 2010

Finest hours

Iceland. What the heck are you playing at? I'd have thought you'd be trying to curry a little favour with your European colleagues, after that financial debacle last year. But no. You've sprouted a volcano, and now you're using it. Not just an ordinary volcano. Oh no. One with a very long and frankly rather unrealistic name. Like someone just typed a capital E, and then let their fingers tap randomly for 2 or 3 seconds on the keyboard. Like this: Easdofihweonasdlf;oahiewt;lan. But without the semi-colons.

You won't win the Eurovision Song Contest now. Not a hope. Not for decades.

Still, you should know the Brits. We go all Dunkirky at times like this, and start talking about "bringing our people home". Is Gordon Brown saying "oh for heaven's sake, I'm busy trying to win an election here"? No, he's not. He's saying "Get me my Spanish counterpart on the phone. Let's turn Spain into a British hub." Shouldn't be too hard. We've managed to turn plenty of Spain into Britain already. In fact, you might say it was a cunning slow-burning strategy, put in place over many years, one plate of egg and chips at a time, for just such a national emergency as this.

Fear not, oh Brits stranded abroad. I saw some of you interviewed today, and you said you were a bit worried about getting back from your exotic holiday for "some tests called SATS, which are quite important". But if you can get to Spain, which we'll rename Brit-hub for the time being, a flotilla of Royal Navy and requisitioned merchant navy vessels will brave the Bay of Biscay to come and get you. A flotilla, or perhaps we'd call it an armada, just for old time's sake. We wouldn't want you to miss your SATS.

Interestingly insular of you, though, Gordon, because you haven't thought about people who might be wanting to LEAVE Britain. You're assuming everyone is wanting to get IN. There may be some, believe it or not, who are wanting to get OUT. Like my husband for example. Can he hitch a ride with the Royal Navy, and then get a transatlantic flight out from Brit-hub? Just wondering.

In fourteen hundred and ninety-two,
Columbus sailed the ocean blue,
When we got as far as two thousand and ten,
We could have done with the Santa Maria* again.

I, on the other hand, did not have one of my finest hours when he phoned this morning to tell me that Delta have cancelled all flights till next week-end. It was early, and I hadn't had tea. Never a good time. I also had five children in the house (they were out of bed, I wasn't), since having failed to find a babysitter, I did the honourable thing and hosted a sleepover for the two children of a friend who was planning to leave hers on their own, and not stay out very late, and probably not enjoy the evening very much for wondering about them (hers are at that age, but only just).

Did I commend his valiant efforts - valiant but unnecessary, as it turns out - to retrieve his passport from the depot in Northants where the courier company's "express service" has left it to languish, en route from the US embassy to my mother's address? Did I sympathise with the frustration of scrambled travel plans? Did I call forth bravery in the face of the huge hassle that will surely ensue? Did I delicately weave together the two contrasting impressions that a wife needs to give a delayed absent husband, that the family is doing fine without him, but also not too absolutely fine. Or did I grunt monosyllabically, and mutter "fine, thanks" in reply to every question?

Wonder what Mrs Columbus would have been like if Christopher had had the use of an international phone line. "Bring back a bag of potatoes and we'll have chips for dinner. Oh, and pick up a packet of Marlboro Lights while you're at it." Hang on. Maybe that was Mrs Raleigh. Doh... I wish I was better at history.

* The Santa Maria was Columbus' ship - a historical detail which all US first graders know. It's like knowing Harold was hit by an arrow in the eye.

.

24 comments:

  1. You haven't worked out iceland's master plan to solve the financial crisis? Send 30 billion euro and we'll turn off the volcano?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my,,,,, that is a fine pickle that your husband is in.The passport bit of it is real scary.
    Until I got to that bit I was thoroughly enjoying the style of your post.

    I agree....... there is now NO CHANCE that Iceland will win the Eurovision Song Contest. They have really p....d us off now.

    Hope the passport can be retrieved and then your husband would be able to get on a cargo ship or something.
    In the meantime...... keep up that stiff upper lip that only the British have.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really struggling not to tell you a joke I heard yesterday about this. Oh, OK, it's your blog, not mine - you can always delete it, so here it is: Mainland Europe on the phone to Iceland says; 'We said send CASH! Not ASH...!'

    Poor taste, I know. Feel free to delete...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My blog started after a fantastic holiday in Iceland. I want to dislike the country and get cross with it but I still love it even though it's acting like a stroppy teenager at the moment.
    Hope you husband gets home soon.
    More poems please...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, I do admire the British spirit. I hope your husband gets back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes. 1066. The only date I can ever remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Brit-hub' - love it!
    My son's teacher is 'stuck' in the Caribbean with her new boyfriend, after their first-ever romantic break. Could be wonderful, or could be a bloody disaster... Hope your hubby makes it home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Brother-in-law is stuck in the UK at the moment. He was on his way home from Africa when he stoped in London for a 12 hour lay-over... he is rather enjoying himself though. With the extended stay he has gone sight seeing, its not often that you get to expense a week long vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope he's back soon.... how typical of the US embassy to complicate matters as well. My poor sister remains stuck in Morocco and my brother in law in Florida (although the latter is probably not such a hardship). Everyone I know seems to have a friend or relative stranded somewhere. Maybe Gordon rallying the troops will give him a last minute election boost?

    PS I heard an even ruder joke about the volcano involving Cheryl Cole but I won't repeat that here......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Disappointing - Potty Mummy got to my joke first. Am intrigued by Cheryl Cole though. Off to google that one now.

    Grr about your husband though. My bro-in-law and his family are stuck in Dubai having a lovely time with my other bro-in-law. What Dubai resident sis-in-law, expecting her first in a week's time, thinks about it though no-one is saying....

    Will cross fingers everyone can get where they belong soon. Even though as a resident of West London I have to admit I'm quite enjoying the peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha. I had a pretty rotten day but somehow your post worked its magic on me. And now I am intrigued to find out about that rude joke Nappy Valley Girl mentioned.

    PS: I found out today that you are taller than 5'9". Wow, Iota!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so funny!I'm no good without the morning tea either!
    Here in Ireland, we're at the edge, and now almost over the edge. People going by ferry/train (a 10 hour journey) to short meetings in London!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love your writing! i haven't been in a while and it's so refreshing when I do. I thought we DID own Spain? or is that just Gibralter?! hope husband gets home soon, I do hate those tortuous phone calls when they're away...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wish I was stuck somewhere exotic all expenses paid....

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry about your hubby. We are stuck too, flights have not been rebooked yet so in limbo. Am very thankful we are with family so not incurring a huge expense. What about the QE2?

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh dear lord, they're not are they? Really? A fleet of ships? Now would be a really good time to attack Britain I guess with half its armed forces busy 'rescuing' people form their exotic holidays.

    I do hope your hubby manages to get home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. tom and i have been reading this and chuckling away. you are a funny lady. altho hope hubby gets back soon.... xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, so sorry you['re stuck on your own. Now you HAVE To buy those boots (and part of the FUN is towering over everyone. I'm not quite as tall as you but when I put my boots on I'm taller than Husband who is over 6' and it's most enjoyable to speak down to him)
    Much as I enjoyed your post and liked commenting, I have to go over to NVG to ask about that cheryl cole joke now..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hee hee, I've heard the Cheryl Cole joke. Snort.
    Iota my lovely, you are brilliant. I love the idea of a subtle invasion of Spain. So so true. And you're right, some people are stuck in Britain. What about them Mr Brown??

    ReplyDelete
  20. my parents flight from Scotland was cancelled but all going well they are coming next week aw well nature

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I would grump too. I do when he phones me he will be home late from work again too. It's just stronger than free will, especially if you're tired or hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you were most graceful in the circumstances. Not even yet had tea - that is never a time to get news like that.

    Love the idea of Spain as a british hub. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. dh was also trying to get out of the country. i thought it would be a great thing having a husband here for once. after 48 hours listening to him grumbling about it i reconsidered that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ack. I hope flights and passports are all sorted out, or soon at any rate... great post as usual!

    ReplyDelete