Sunday, April 25, 2010

Associations

Today I went to a baseball match. Actually, I don’t think they call them ‘matches’. A baseball game. I enjoyed it. Definitely a whole blog post in there – another day.

It made me think about sensory associations. It was the loud, twangy thwack of the baseball on the (five syllable) aluminium bat that got me started. I bet that to Americans, that particular sound says ‘summer’. I bet they’d recognize it instantly, even if they’d been away from America for decades. I bet they’d close their eyes, and see in their mind’s eye a baseball pitch from their childhood or college days, feel the heat of the sun on their backs, smell the hot dogs at the concession stand, and hear the song from the seventh innings stretch.

As an expat, you're constantly developing a new set of associations. I suppose that's true of everyone, but it's exaggerated by a move to another country. The equivalent of the baseball thwack for me would be the repetitive thump of tennis ball on racquet strings, or the thud of leather on willow. Those are the sounds of summer. Accompanied by the smell of newly cut grass, of course. When you move abroad, you start building up a new library of associations: sound, smell, taste, feel. They don’t replace the old library. I guess you just overlay one on top of the other.

I had a moment, a couple of years ago now, when an association stopped me short. I was outside a store, and I heard a clang, clang, clanging which I couldn’t place. It confused me, and then suddenly I knew it. It was the sound I used to love when we lived by the sea in Scotland, of boats in the harbour on a windy day, the ropes slapping against the metal masts. I looked around, and saw a tall flagpole. Ah, that was it. Same sound, different context. A cross-reference in my library of associations.

Sensory associations run deep, and the expat has to undergo a little retraining. The comforting sound of coming home is no longer the click and turn of the key in the front door lock, but the whirring of the automatic garage door as it opens. I have to trust that a bathroom is disinfected, even though it doesn’t smell of Dettol. I’m guessing that for Americans, the smell of Lysol or Clorox carries that same hygiene-assured feeling. The labels say they kill germs, but it’s been a leap of faith for me. They just don’t have that trusted Dettol smell...

I wash up after dinner to Jazz Café instead of The Archers. That didn’t feel right at first. How could I fill a sink with water and bubbles without that familiar music? And on the subject of music, does anyone else still miss the ba-ba-ba-ba of the Pearl and Dean adverts when they go to the cinema? That’s an age-related association as well as an expat-related one. The passing years pose no threat to old associations, though. When she visited, my mother said that the tornado siren, tested on Mondays at noon, was the wrong way round. The warning tone should be the all clear, and the all clear should be the warning. Strong associations from 70 years ago.

Once you start thinking about these smells, or sounds, or tastes, you realize what a huge number we all carry around with us, and of course we carry far more than we are consciously aware of. I love associations. Why don’t you tell me some of yours?

.

12 comments:

  1. I like your "library of associations".
    As an aromatherapist, smell associations are big with me. We can instantly be transported many years by a smell- just think about school dinners!
    The smell of freshly cut grass is, for me, the signal that summer is here, long sunny evenings (don't know where I got that from, living in Ireland!) walks, cycling- it all comes back from my childhood in an instant. And it's a wonderful feeling, a summer stretching out in front of you.
    At the other end of the scale, the song The Rose of Tralee signals to me the end of the summer (the festival is at the end of August), and that sad "back to school" feeling.
    Funny things, associations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interested. I understand the being taken aback by an association and not being able to place it, I had one of those the otherday and still can not for the life of me figure it out.

    Cricket means summer for me and the sound of all the lawn mowers going on a weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Iota - it's so true, especially on the smell front.

    Old fashioned floral furniture polish always makes me think of my boarding school - not a great association I am afraid. But it takes me right there.

    (Can you not listen to the Archers on the internet? We wash up to Radio 4 programmes like the News Quiz and Now Show through iPlayer on the computer....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nappy Valley Girl: Kitchen too far from computer, and yes, I'm sure I could find a way round it (laptop, for example), but there are other things higher up the to-be-sorted list, and I decided that I should have a break from The Archers when I moved here, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The creak of boards as the kids start moving around in the mornings, the crunch of tyres on the driveway as the husband arrives home in the evenings, the thwack of tails against a door frame when I arrive home...all sounds associated to my family...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so true. We took the boys to the Odeon when we were back in England and I loved hearing the Pearl and Dean music.

    We had a particularly sunny day here last week and my son said it reminded him of the day we moved. He said the brightness of the sun and the smell of the ocean always reminds him of moving day. As he was only 9 when we moved, I was impressed that he'd taken it all in. That will forever be a particular association for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your writing Iota, very poetic. And the Pearl and Dean association speaks to me...
    Best from here
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was sitting in a conference session when I noticed the Nan sitting next to me smelled of a familiar cologne. I think it was Calvin kleins escape. I brought back powerful memories of wild parties and a certain lovely boy. Sent me in to quite a reverie, which felt a little inappropriate!

    I love going to baseball too, despite not really understanding it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lorna - so the Pearl and Dean music is still going?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny -- you've just solved a mystery for me! I keep wondering why my boyfriend here in England keeps quizically asking me why I'm using bleach in the bathroom. I didn't even know Dettol existed, but you can bet I'm going to go try it soon! (But yes -- the smell of bleach means clean bathroom to me and "Take me out to the ballgame" resonates in my head during the summertime! Haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. In answer to your question: Pearl and Dean still going, but only in Odeon cinemas. You have to pick carefully if you want the full cinematic experience. They've got a website too pearlanddean.com where you can go for your fix....

    ReplyDelete
  12. My MIL got little L a German picture book. Beautiful illustrations of teddies, biscuits and tea in baby bottles. In a funny way all these things look very German, and thus very familiar. For the first time in ages I felt a little sad not to be able to pass on THIS particular biscuit smell and image to little L. Police cars look different here. And so do taxis. Or busses.
    Having a baby in a foreign land/culture makes me learn my set of associations all over again.

    ReplyDelete