Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hair today, gone tomorrow

I’m excited about tomorrow.

Incidentally, do people say that in Britain? I have a vague recollection that when I first arrived here, I thought it was odd that people said they were excited about things. Grown-ups, I mean. Of course it’s ok for children to be excited, or we might put it in the passive and say something like “tomorrow is an exciting day”, but I have a feeling we don’t actually confess to such an unruly emotion ourselves. But I can’t really remember. I’ve been away too long.

Any old way, I AM excited about tomorrow. I’m having my hair done. ‘Done’, you note, not ‘cut’. There isn’t enough of it to cut anything off (so the title of this post is a little misleading). I do now have more than Obama, but we’re not talking Charlie’s Angels. ‘Styled’ might be a nicer word. Yes, I’m going to have my hair styled.

I was warned that it might grow back different to how it used to be, and it did. I’ve found that strangely upsetting. Symbolic, somehow, that life can return to normal, but it’s not the same normal as it was before. My hair wasn't exactly my finest feature how it was, all thin and wispy, but it was MINE and it was ME, and I’d spent a few decades getting to know how we worked together. Now I have the kind of hair that I used to envy in the 1980’s, when I used inordinate amounts of mousse in an attempt to give myself what was called ‘volume’, a word which translated into 'looking like you have a pineapple on your head'. Well, now I grow that volume all by myself. It takes a bit of getting used to.

When I last wrote about my hair
, I was just past the very first sleek Obama stage, and I felt I had a doormat on my head, all coarse and wiry. Not nice. I urged it to keep growing, and it seemed to be getting a bit softer and bouncier with length. And then all of a sudden, I had this huge mop on top, and I felt like a walking bunch of carrots. I’d previously thought I could maybe go for a pixie Amelie gamine boy-cut sort of a look, but I can see there’s no point in that, unless I want to head back to the hairdresser every couple of weeks. The window of time between flat doormat and bouffant bunch of carrots is tiny. Is this what you wiry-haired people have to put up with? Blimey, I wish I’d known. I’d have cut you more slack. That’s a big life pressure you operate under. We wispy types have a more carefree existence. We can go for weeks with a look that is vaguely shaggy but still tolerable. Managing the mop is going to be a learning process, I can see.

I have no idea what will happen as it continues to grow. Will it flop over sideways at some point? Or will it just carry on growing onwards, upwards, and outwards, so that I look like an illustration warning children to keep away from dangerous electric equipment?

Then there’s the colour. Or lack of it. It’s not unpleasant in an unsettling way. I mean, people wouldn’t actually vomit in the street as I walk by. But, it is very black and grey, and severe. So I’m going to get some colour put in. But that’s a bit of a learning curve too. I’ve never had colour professionally done. I’m thinking this could be the beginning of an expensive journey. Don’t you have to have it redone every 6 weeks, if you don’t want your roots to show? Could I maybe have something a little more subtle done? High lights? Low lights? Back lights? Head lights? I’m planning on discussing all this with a nice cosmetologist who’s been recommended to me (my old one has moved to Connecticut, just when I need her). It's a dangerous strategy, to go along without clear views in my own mind of what I want, and I will quite possibly get talked into having all kinds of glamorous and expensive things done, but I don’t quite know how else to go about getting my first lesson in mop management.

I won’t miss the hats. I’ve enjoyed wearing them, but they’re getting a little hot, now that the temperatures here are in the 70s. And I never wore the wig, so I’ll take that back to the cancer charity (though I do have a very cute photo of 9-yo modeling it).

I never took a photo of me with no hair, or with baby-soft stubble just beginning to grow, or even with my Obama cropped doormat look. I felt so horrid, and I didn’t want it recorded for posterity. But now I wish I had. I don’t know why, really. I was still me, underneath it all, and perhaps I’d like to be able to look back and see that. On the subject of photos, the other day I had to get my passport out (oh yes, for the voting registration form), and the picture of me in it was all wisps and tendrils. I love that word. Tendrils. It made me sad, to see my old tendrils.

But enough with the gloomy looking back! I am now only a few hours away from a new look, and even though I guard my anonymity, I might have to find a clever way of showing you all. I’ll tell you one thing. It’s much nicer to be going under the scissors (for there will surely be some snipping, short though my hair may be) than under the knife. And I confess I AM excited, very excited. In fact, I don’t think I’m going to be able to get to sleep.

18 comments:

  1. Will be thinking of you today Iota - and not only because of your VERY exciting (and yes, it is OK to say that, especially under these circumstances) hairstyling today, but because - 70 degrees? SEVENTY DEGREES?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see it if you feel inclined. I also have a tip with regard to hair color. Since my hair began to take on enough grey to make it appear as if I was approaching OAP * (do you remember what that means ... old age pensioner) status years before being chronologically able to qualify, I had to do something.

    I was going broke with all over color and doing it myself made my hair turn orange in the Cornish sun which never happened in Georgia so I went a combination of high and low lights which looks very natural and leaves me with a color that looks familiar, but is also a bit salt and pepperish. Good luck with your hair!

    * I love some of the expressions still used in places here like OAP. You would never get away with saying that in America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might not be very keen on your new hair, but think if it from the hair's point of view - how often do people say "if I had my time again..." - which sounds just like your barnet. "Oh, I wouldn't be wispy, soft and tendrilly, I'd go for Strong, Volume, think Wiry."

    And suddenly its time DID come again. It may be regretting what it wished for, but I for one am looking forward to the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh enjoy iota, enjoy. styled. done. so, so much more grown up that cut. or trimmed. i hope you are delighted with the outcome x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah yes, showing any enjoyment or leasure with anything more than a raise of the eyebrows. I think you can get thrown out of the club for that!

    Mine changed completely after the birth of my son. I still haven't gotten used to the difference in texture and styling needed. It used to be thick and curly and sort of looked after itself, now it needs styling and regular cuts and stuff.

    Enjoy the cut and styling :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such exciting news! I've been meaning to email you to see if your hair had put in an appearance yet. Mine is now more or less back to wehre it was BC - curls have gone and the texture is similar to what it was before. But there's still a lot more grey and I'm just contemplating some colour. Never done that before and it's quite scary.

    So enjoy your hair as it is now because once all the baby curls have grown through (consultant told me that it grows back similar to what you had when you were a baby) you'll probably be back to where you were Before All This. But maybe a bit greyer. And no, I didn't take any pictures either. I did go swimming though, and put sun cream on my bald head. That got some strange looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is absolutely Ok to say excited and I am feeling ripples of it for you too.
    I am most interested to hear about you hair growth.
    I have just had chemo 6 (yesterday) but in between each session I have had a fine baby down growth of hair that shoots straight up in the air and it is pure white.The next chemo always zaps it off.
    I didn't have white hair before. but quite frankly I would be happy to have ANY hair even if it looked like a bunch of carrots.
    I was looking at my nails for those ridges that were mentioned in a post (thought it was yours) but I haven't got any!
    Enjoy your new style & colour. I am sharing your excitement!

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I am very excited for you. I bet it will look - and feel - fabulous.

    (And, if you do go for highlights, you certainly don't have to go all the time for retouching. I am about to get my highlights redone after 6 months - OK I am your original low maintenance woman, but it doesn't look too awful).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very exciting! Have fun getting pampered! You really don't need to go back every six weeks as long as the colour isn't totally different from the natural colour. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my house, I am the only adult who GETS SO EXCITED about things. That's mainly because I'm the only American in our house so, maybe, by nurture I am pre-disposed to childlike excitement. But enough about me.

    Enjoy your hair experience. Have a lovely time being styled and enjoy the attention and the chance to read magazines (that's just me though because I never buy them). I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is exciting. My hair is finally sort of what it was before. It went through a weird curly stange, but I just kept it sort until the weir curliness finally died out.

    Speaking of dying. I have not dyed my hair, but I have lot of gray so I have been considering it, but there are so many options. I can't wait to hear what you decided to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, do enjoy!

    And, from one mopped person who gets her hair professionally coloured to another, you SHOULD go back every six weeks, but I never do because it is indeed bloody expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Black? For some reason I thought of you with browny/blonde hair. Hope it goes well. I love it when they massage your head.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is exciting, I'm pleased you're getting some pampering!
    Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy the pampering - there's nothing like the feeling of looking a million dollars when you come out of a salon...and at least it sounds like you won't suffer the problem I always seem to when I get my hair done, which is that it starts pouring with rain as soon as I leave the salon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You'll surely have to post a picture of the end result. From behind at least?? Please.

    Enjoy. And don't worry about keeping colour maintained. At least, I never have....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh - and I love that it's still okay to be excited about tomorrow.

    I actually found myself singing the song from Annie to Louis the other day and really enjoying it! (Even if I was wondering what I was going to be doing tomorrow that would make me love it so much... Just hang out with the boy I guess.)

    ReplyDelete