Saturday, May 1, 2010

Olde English Tea

I've just been to an Olde English Tea. It's an annual fundraising event, run by a local church. It was most enjoyable, and it made me realise something I hadn't fully realised before. We English have a lot to live up to. I knew that Americans like our accent, and I knew that many of the older generation are somewhat fascinated by the idea of the monarchy. But, oh my, if this event is anything to go by, the image they hold of life in England is truly refined.

The occasion was one at which Miss Marple would have felt at home. Piano music tinkled away in the background. Tea was poured from large, elegant silver teapots on silver platters. The food consisted of small sandwiches cut into dainty circles or squares, and tiny cakes, and morsels of tray bake, and little pieces of fruit precisely displayed. There were mice made out of a cherry dipped in chocolate for the body, with a chocolate head, pointy nose and all, and ears made out of flaked almonds. The cherry stalk was the tail. What imagination! Everything was beautifully presented on plates, with doilies (can't remember when I last saw a doily), and a small vase of flowers in the middle of each one. Flowers were everywhere, actually. On each table in white teapots-turned-vases, in huge arrangements down the centre of the buffet table, either side of the pathway as you walked into the building.

I have no idea how many people they serve in the four hours that it runs, but it will be several hundred. Mostly ladies, and all very smartly turned out, with many in hats. Hats! "Like an English wedding" someone told me.

You'll be pleased to hear I didn't let the side down. I tried my best to look elegant and glamorous, but in an English way. I'm going to have to digress here, and tell you about the dress I wore. I've had it for 15 years (I just worked it out) and for most of those years, it's been hanging in my closet for old times' sake because, let's face it, who can fit into a dress they wore 15 years ago after three pregnancies and the onset of middle age? But ha, there has to be some hidden positive in cancer and chemo, and guess what, I am now lighter than I was 16 years ago, and it would seem pretty much as slim. I was so excited when I tried it on and found it fit, and it kind of compensated for the black and purple toilet brush which is my head these days (I never did go back to the hairdresser; I know, I know, I should have...)

Anyway, yes, understated English elegance was the look I was going for, which involves a lot of tummy sucking in, I can tell you, and walking as if you have a book balanced on your head. I tried to talk in my finest accent, and shower little droplets of British English into the air. It was the least I could do.

You'll be glad I didn't spoil the ambiance by letting on that there were a few little wrinkles in the Englishness. The event took place between 10.00am and 2.00pm, so not actually teatime as we know it. The tea was served with a slice of lemon with a clove stuck in it. Delicious, I'm sure, but not traditionally English. There was milk and sugar available, but it wasn't milk. It was cream. (I hear your small gasps of horror from across the ocean). There was a choice of tea or coffee (coffee... I know... sacrilege). And the drinks were served in glass cups - proper teacup-shaped cups, not mugs - but without saucers. Alas.

But it's the worst kind of expat who is a pernickety spotter of faults in this way, so these things are just between you and me and a gatepost standing by a verdant green meadow somewhere deep in rural England. And let's face it, if they were really going to recreate an English tea, it wouldn't be flowers and hats and delicate food and refined chatter at all, would it now?

24 comments:

  1. It is more likely a mug of tea with a chocolate digestive dunked in it at my house!

    Although there is a lovely hotel in Tunbridge Wells that I like to go to that does a lovely Afternoon Tea with the dainty sandwiches and minature cakes and doilies which is wonderful for a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe next time you should let them know that most Brits just shove a teabag in a mug (preferably not chipped) and make the tea like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is just lovely that someone recreates what we really could be if we tried (or wanted.)

    And hey, I have doilies. Might even get them out next time I have Stateside visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like our tea in china mugs in our house but I do use a teapot to make the tea.
    The ceremony didn't really sound very English...... glass cups and cream???????!!!!!!!!!! Strawberries and cream...... yes!

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I have to say that the foulest method I have ever come across for 'making' tea (I use the term very loosely) was in Italy where a friend put a pan of water on the hob, stuck a tea bag in it and then proceeded to bring it all to the boil.

    Needless to say, I passed on the offering.

    By comparison your venture sounds decidedly civilised, cream and cloves notwithstanding!

    LCM x

    p.s. delighted to see you are coming to Cyber Mummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could have shown your film about making tea. I am sure they'd been impressed.
    I am going out for afternoon tea today and will think of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember all being asked all the time about 'English' things.
    But tea in a glass cup, with cream and a clove? Not so sure about that.
    I'm with some of the other commenters, tea-bag, mug and a digestive biscuit for dunking.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds lovely, although cloves and cream do not really appeal.... (What is is with Americans and cream? I am always being offered it with coffee. Or 'half and half'. Just plain milk doesn't seem to be thought good enough......)

    I hope your dress was Liberty print or Laura Ashley?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good "do".
    I'm glad the dress fitted- as you say, there has to be some upside to cancer and chemo.
    LOL at the tea with lemon and cloves! More fitting to a hot whisky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What do you mean? Afternoon tea is always like that in my house! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reminds of the tea I got at a New York hotel years ago. Luke warm, in a tall glass(?) with two tea bags in it. Awful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just please reassure me that they didn't heat up the water for the tea in the microwave....I still can't get over the fact that many Americans think that this is a suitable first step in making a good cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving reading all this! I'm here in America, and I love seeing how we're seen!

    I boil my water in the microwave as a first step to making tea. Laughed out lout when I saw someone comment on that.

    This is so wonderful to see: makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm giggling nonstop now! My family (American) drinks tea (or coffee) with milk, but when special guests visit, we get cream. It's as if cream is the best of the best! We had some English friends visit when I was still living at home and I remember my Dad making a last-minute dash to the store to buy cream for the visitors. Little did we know that the English prefer milk! I bet it was the same for your fundraiser. I bet they probably went to some effort for real cream. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Confession of an English ex pat. Every Sunday afternoon (that we are around) my husband goes mountain biking with a group of lads. The highlight of the afternoon (so they tell me) is when they come back to our house for scones & jam, victoria sponge & Earl grey tea (with milk) Sometimes I throw chocolate brownies or red velvet cupcakes into the mix to make the Americans feel at home. Sometimes I offer fruit or herbal tea to make the Albanians feel at home, but mainly I do it because my mother made afternoon tea every Sunday & I like the tradition, I love the food (& the baking) & I like the gentle, old fashioned unhurried Englishness of it all. But that's just between you & me. And I have to say I have 8 fully converted international Tirana residents. All male. Of course they weren't wearing hats, but bike helmets, no floaty dresses, but tight lycra cycling shorts, & dried mud not powdered noses is usually the order of the day....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still wish I could find something vaguely resembling half and half here in England. For coffee, not for tea. Milk in coffee makes it a disgusting color, especially skim milk at too low a concentration.

    But tea time at work is always in the 11 am to 1 pm band with sweet cookies / biscuits, what is the problem there?

    ReplyDelete
  17. i loved your miss marpley description of proper tea. my mum always made tea properly, in a warmed pot and we sat down to it, as kids, with something delicious to eat. alas it's all tea bags and spoon slopping in my own house. i drink gallons of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's funny. No saucers! That's just wrong. Perhaps they should have followed it with a bit of binge drinking. That's what I learned in England...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a big fan on proper tea parties. I had a bit of an ebay fetish a couple of years back buying up tea sets just so I could hold a proper tea party. But then I'm not English so maybe I too hanker for the quintissential English-ness this country is supposed to be all about. Next time a mug of builders is probably what will be served.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woohoo on your mads finalist position - I am so pleased for you. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's like me walking into the Texas Embassy this weekend (after going to the National Gallery Sunday kids art class). Oh dear, is this what they think?

    I like the thought of you spreading British English with every breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yep we sure do have a lot to live up to - but isn't it great to be thought of that way when sometimes we forget ourselves! Right now where are those doilies....

    ReplyDelete
  23. All I can say is that I hope you were also wearing gloves. White ones, possibly made of kid, with side buttons. Wouldn't want you letting the side down, tsk tsk. As for the cream - no comment.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How brilliant that they didn't even serve tea with milk! Pretty crucial I'd say. Still, sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete