Friday, May 28, 2010

In need of an identity

I am a member of a very select group within British Mummy Bloggers. I'm one of a small number who don't have a profile picture. But times are a-changing, and I thought it was a good moment to show my face.

Not literally. Oh no no no. I like hiding away behind words. And that is why I have chosen the following as my profile picture.




I played with various type faces. This one is called Britannic Bold, which I thought might be apt, but it's too brash, don't you think?



Then there was this. I can't remember what it's called, but 12-yo said it was cool.



But I decided to stick with the first, because it was the closest I could find to American cursive, which is so iconic. It just says "America" to me. Personally, I can't see the point of teaching generations of school kids two entirely different styles of writing. They learn printing for three laborious years, and then just as they've mastered that, they have to knuckle under (almost literally) and learn a completely different style. You go from what one teacher described to me as "sticks and balls" to this curly and ornate script that isn't far from copperplate. In Britain, it seems to me that you learn one set of letters, and then you simply learn how to join them up. For those of you who understand these things (and I don't include myself among you), I think I'm a fan of D'Nealian writing.

Enough of all that. In sum, I thought Iota in American cursive script would be a suitable visual cue for this blog. I used a lower case i because the upper case I in American cursive is pretty much unrecognisable (several of the upper case cursive letters are, actually, which is another of my beefs with it). A capital I looks like a T or a P, and I didn't want to become Tota or Pota.

You probably want to know why it's nailed to a tree in my back yard. Well, that's just what I did. I expect there's something sub-conscious going on. Perhaps it's religious imagery. Perhaps it's meant to be like a 'Wanted' poster. Maybe I just wanted to hang it on the tree that I look at out of the window when I sit at the computer. Who knows? I certainly don't.

So what do you think?

.

20 comments:

  1. HI Iota -- I really hope one day we can actually "see" you. Not a name. NOt a tree. :) I guess the closest so far was hearing you in your vlog. :) I like #3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked number 3 best!

    Who else was stuck up on a tree?

    I prefer to be anonymous too! Thought I was peculiar!
    I like that I'm not the only one!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea there was such a thing as American cursive! Now I know why everyone I work with goes "oooooh" when I write out notes to them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice. I also learned to print then to do 'joined up' writing, but my sisters little girl in london has been taught "cursive" from the begining, and has lovely handwriting now at 7.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're a master of titilation when it comes to your identity. I didn't get round to commenting on your post about the anagram of Iota Manhattan but I was trying to come up with possible maiden names when feeding the baby the other night (well at 4am what else is there to do?). I like the nailing of your name to a tree, I would like to come up with some suggested meaning to it but it's getting a bit late in the evening here now. I'll work on that anagram again in the middle of the night though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think that scarily you and tom are two peas from the same pod (is that the right saying? i am a bit tired). He is also a font bore!!! (i hope that didn't sound rude - i know that you are not a bore, perhaps just when it comes to fonts, just like my darling husband) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why Ms. Iota, you are absolutely beautiful in all of your outfits!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the lower case 'i' looks really good anyway, especially on such a short word. And yes, I agree the first one is the best.

    I had no idea the two countries taught different 'joined up writing'. I saw that my daughter's was different, I used to try to correct her until she would get mad at me 'Mum! Thats how the TEACHER taught us.' I just assumed it was like math/s, different generation gets taught different styles. Now I know!

    I think nailing your name to the tree is more like a notice, a 'staking claim' and also very American (along with the script). I like it. I think it looks really effective--the whole image.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the lower case i.

    American cursive writing is unreadable. I mean the capital G - what is that thing? When I was at school there, with my beautiful British script, I found myself locked in a constant battle with my teacher who was determined I should write cursive (and spell American). I'm sure the school system there has changed a bit now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So with you on the 'why?' over cursive looking different - although that may be because Russian cursive is an absolute BUGGER and 't' looks like 'm' for starters and - oh, sorry, this is your blog, isn't it? Anyway, I like your new image. It suits you. PMx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Utterly iota-esque and wholly good in every way.

    Love
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you chose the first one, it's my favourite too. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Iota! You just initiated one of the most bizarre midnight conversations I've ever had with my sweetie. I took out a pen and paper and tried to remember how to write cursive. All the horrible memories of being grilled on it as a kid came back. I never could make a capital Q! My sweetie kept calling it copperplate. We've discovered something new in our relationship thanks to you. Who knew that cursive didn't translate worldwide?! Not me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it. The lower case "I" looks modern and the whole effect of being nailed to the tree is quite memorable.

    No idea why I chose a picture of me aged 8 putting dishes away in a cupboard - it was just a photo my dad had e-mailed to me that week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely the first one. It looks very you.

    When I was at school in Hong Kong I remember learning something called 'Marion Richardson handwriting'. I have no idea if this is still taught....it was pretty old fashioned but some of my handwriting still resembles it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't worry, I don't have a photo either! That's a great choice of Iota. Will you be wearing that round your neck at Cybermummy?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's great. I just went with a letter as well. Us secretive people, eh...

    In Belgium, children have to do joined-up, curly writing from the start. Never any printy letters. They look weird to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  18. #3. Definitely #3. Just leave the poor tree alone, will you? Religious cults, tststs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. the top one. i like it. but i am so curious as to what you look like!

    ReplyDelete