Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day

It was Mother's Day here in the US on Sunday, so I was thinking about, well, being a mother. I know. Pretty original, huh?

I have a confession to make. I cyber-stalk people about to have babies. I do. Not many - just one or two, here and there. If I come across a blogger about to drop, I add them to my reader, and await the birth. I love the excitement. Ooh, there's a post! Has she had that baby yet?... No, just another post about being fed up with waiting, and a trip to the hospital for monitoring... Ooh, another one! This time?... (Hello, Stockholm.)

I used to love waiting for friends' babies, but now I'm of an age and stage where there aren't too many of those in my immediate life. So I have to get my fix of enjoying babies arriving via the internet (the fix arriving via the internet, that is, not the baby - though in this galloping century, who knows? maybe that will be the next thing).

I love those first exuberant announcements. I love seeing the photo, and the details, and the boasting comments of the parent. We become all childish in our excitement, don't we, when we see them? It's a bit ridiculous, honestly. I mean, take the photo. Let's be honest, that photo of your beautiful newborn... it looks like, well, a baby, doesn't it? Not very different to all those other photos of newborns. Maybe less or more hair, maybe sleeping or awake, maybe scrunched up or not quite so scrunched up. But there's not a whole lot to remark upon, is there?

Then we read the details. Weight, length, and um... there's not much else to say about a baby at this stage. Usually these days there's not even a surprise regarding the gender. Weight - well, there's not a huge variation, honestly, is there? Length - no-one ever even bothered to measure my babies so we couldn't tell people their length, but I didn't feel it was a huge loss. (Isn't it interesting, incidentally, that we talk about length, rather than height? I suppose you have to be able to stand up to have a height.)

So it can't really be the photo and the information. No. I'll tell you what it is. It's the pride of the parents. The bursting, unembarrassed, overwhelming pride that they can hardly contain, in this little scrap of humanity. When we sent out an email announcing the arrival of our third, a friend emailed back "May you always be as proud of her as you are today".

I have often thought of that comment. With a newborn, it's pride at its purest. You're not proud because your child has learnt all his spellings, or because she's got into the netball team, or because he's been nice to his brother and shared his lego, or because she's on the podium at graduation, or because she looks unbearably sweet with her first pony tail, or because he's managed a poo in the potty. You're not proud because anything. You're just proud that the baby is who he or she is - which actually, you know almost nothing about at that point. In fact, all you know about this creature is that it has caused you 9 months' worth of pregnancy complaints, then a few hours of exquisite pain, and that it has the ability to yell, blink a lot, and fill a nappy. It's not a great list of endearments.

Pure unprocessed pride. When you are wanting to throw open the door of the maternity wing, and say to the assembled company "Look, look, LOOK at my baby!... MY baby!..." surely that is parenthood at its finest. Unconditional, all-accepting, unquestioning pride. Dare I say it reflects the divine? Yes, I think I dare.

Of course some people don't feel the parent pride thing straightaway. It may take hours or days to feel much for that scrap of their own, that everyone else seemed so excited about. And that's fine too.

I wonder if animals feel it. I saw a duck with a brood of 10 ducklings in the park the other day. She kept a watchful eye on me as I stopped to watch them, but I didn't think she was very afraid. I wondered if she was actually enjoying showing off her brood (and yes, I did talk to her, out loud, congratulating her on her fine off-spring and saying what a good job she'd done with the eggs, and that's why I like being anonymous in my blog, so that I can confess to weird behaviour like that).

Mother's Day. Well, I wasn't at my best on Mother's Day. I shouted at my kids, and I'm never proud of that. So I'm preaching to myself here. "May you always be as proud of her as you are today." Of course it gets a bit more complicated as life trots on. It is part of the job of a parent to teach good behaviour, good attitudes, spelling, so it becomes appropriate to be proud of your children's achievements and efforts (though can't we just drop the spelling, now they've invented Spellcheck?). But it's good to remember, as much as we can, the more important pride that undergirds it all: pride in them just because they are. And now I sense I'm beginning to ramble, so I'm going to go to the park and see if I can find a few more mother ducks and geese to talk to.

.

15 comments:

  1. I never comment on blogs, but what a great insight! You're absolutely right: we're proud of our babies just because they're ours, not because they've done anything. I suppose that's the ultimate essence of the unconditional love we're always hearing about. You summed it up so beautifully, I wanted to share it with every parent I knew! I posted this on my FaceBook profile on Mother's Day - similar sentiment:

    Every beetle is a gazelle in the eyes of its mother. ~Moorish Proverb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iota what a lovely post! Great writing as always.

    And I love the thought of you talking to the ducks.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny isn't it, because I can distinctly remember thinking that mine were not ordinary babies, and that everyone who looked at them would immediately be able to see just how extraordinarily beautiful and clever they were!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, Iota. A great reminder of what's important. (That's why I love having pictures of my boys as babies on the wall - reminds me of those tiny helpless creatures they were so very recently).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me cry, I have been a bitch to the mini's today, I should be better

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember coming out of the hospital with my first baby and thinking the whole world would stop and want to see him! I couldn't believe everyone was just behaving as normal. My world had completely changed.

    Isn't it tough when you have a day when you're just shouting? We all do it and then have such terrible guilt afterward. And I agree, let's drop the spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My next door neighbour just had a baby and I was so excited for her! I used it as an excuse to show my own kids their baby pictures, and yes, to remember how much I loved them and was proud of them that very second they were born!

    We have a recued momma cat and kittens in a spare office at work at the moment, and she is very proud indeed of her lovely babies, you can just tell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. But after Cybermummy, you won't be anonymous to those there! Hope that doesn't change the way you write! Am off to see a friend's v small puppies tomorrow to get my substitute fix of 'cute babies'. the mum is VERY proud & protective evidently. Haven't held a newborn or littlie in quite a while now. I miss it. Lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, lovely post. And so true. I remember sending out a deeply personal email to all and sundry about the gory details of my birth because I was so proud of me, the fact that I'd managed to do it, and of him, the fact that there he was, a teeny tiny person. And I remember a friend of my husband saying: Waaaay too much info. And me feeling really embarrassed about it, but thinking: sod you. It was something worth shouting about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, but I didn't get this feeling right from the start. I didn't want to show her off, I wanted to protect her and keep her all to ourselves. For about 10 days. I am proud now. I could burst of pride. She is the loveliest and most amazing little person the world has ever seen. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...... you are the first *baby to be stalker* that I've ever come across.
    I still go all gooey when I see a baby! newly born. It is always good to give them back to their parents though. Imagine the disturbed nights the nappies and colic...... Phew! Don't have the energy now. But they are gorgeous and I know what you mean.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean. I often feel weird pride when my children are being naughty/lazy/whatever - just because they are so gorgeous and so mine! Good thing to remember just now because 2yr old is refusing to put on her shoes to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the newspaper i work for just did a story about "reveal" cakes. instead of telling the prospective parents the gender of their unborn child, the doctor writes it down and puts it in a sealed envelope, which the parents bring to their favorite baker.

    the baker bakes a cake, frosts it and decorates it with sugar rattles and bows and all, and then the couple throws a party. at some point they cut into the cake, and everyone finds out at once--because the cake has been dyed either pink or blue.

    this, to me, is crossing the chili line, as calvin trillin might say. but it did make me want some cake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely post - it's not just me then ! I have been cyber clucking and there a few arrival due in the coming months, I can't wait!

    Now I have finished reproducing I have turned into the Mad Aunt but hey I love babies. Just last night my three were watching The Water Horse on DVD and I went all silly just looking at their noses - perfect little noses, bigger then when they were born but still small and perfect. You're absolutely right about the spelling and the prizes I just love the fact that when they get up in the morning they have faith in me to do a good job caring for them. Thanks for this xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a terrific post! We are in the midst of the age when many friends are having babies and I love the surprises that come along with it. Your summary of pride and joy of being a parents is really touching. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete