Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Why Husband is like Obama (and why I am not like the First Lady)

So Obama is President again. As he made his victory speech, there was a small, seemingly insignificant phrase, that resonated in the Manhattan household. You possibly missed it, amidst the background noise of the whole world beyond America breathing a huge sigh of relief. As he paid tribute to his daughters and talked about their return to the White House, he joked "but one dog is enough".

"Too right", muttered Husband, stirring his porridge, as the furry whirlwind which blows floor level through our kitchen at breakfast-time twirled and yapped at his feet. "Though I would go further, and say that maybe one dog is too many."

I was thinking about life in the White House, and I bet Michelle's experience of puppy-owning is very different to mine. I bet Michelle has a cleaner who mops her kitchen floor. I bet Michelle didn't have to spend time measuring the boot of her car and looking on Gumtree for a crate that fits. I bet Michelle doesn't have to get her children to take the dog out into the cold while she cooks dinner, because his behaviour is so uncontrollable when the smell of food permeates the kitchen, saying "you wanted a dog, and this is part of having a dog". I bet Michelle had a puppy trainer who took Bo, and in patriotic duty, faced the hours of lonely frustration on behalf of the First Family: "Sit... no... Sit... no... Sit... no... Sit... oh, Good Dog! Good Dog! Good Dog! Sit... no... Sit... no... Sit..." I bet Michelle doesn't have to load her own dishwasher, pushing a persistent nose away and repeating "snout out, snout out", in the knowledge that the command will never either be obeyed or appreciated for its linguistic finesse.

One of the things I think blogging has achieved, is to demythologise motherhood. Gone are the days when mothers had to say that life at home with a baby or toddler was one long road of joy and contentment. Now, it is ok to confess to days when if the baby doesn't stop screaming, you will join in but louder, or that ONE MORE game of ludo will send you over the edge. (Ludo... my personal nemesis...) I do truly believe that mummy blogging has been hugely influential in effecting this liberating sea-change. So with that in mind, let me start blazing the trail of honest reporting for puppy-owners everywhere. It's lovely having a puppy. Everyone says so. They are cute and fun and life-affirming. But, they are also THERE... ALL THE TIME... and if you've been used to the freedom of organising the school hours of your day around your own needs and wants, then having a puppy will seriously clip your wings. It's not the poo and the puddles on the kitchen floor, or the yapping when you're trying to make a phone call, or the feelings of guilt if you're out for more than a couple of hours,  or the chewing-through of the internet cable twice in two days (though that was pretty bad), or the thinly disguised competitiveness of puppy training classes, or having to go down to breakfast in boots because slippers are irresistible to a teething puppy, as are naked ankles, which are also very tender when nipped by dagger-sharp teeth, (...deep breath...), it's the knowledge of something depending on you for absolutely everything in its daily life, lodged in that whispering layer of the brain just below the surface. The white noise of responsibility. It's taken me years to drive along a road without looking out for tractors and diggers to point out to a long-since-grown small passenger in the back, and now I find I can't cross a street without a reflex sparking that wants to twitch the lead a little closer to my legs, even when Hector is at home, curled up safely on his cushion or - more likely - squatting productively in the middle of the kitchen floor.

I confessed all this in a guilty moment to two other dog owners, who sympathised. "Oh heavens yes... We actually discussed whether, if our puppy got run over, we'd replace him or go back to having our freedom. " "There were definitely days when I thought we'd made the wrong decision getting a dog, and I just had to go into another room to be away from her for a couple of hours." It was wonderful - like those playgroup moments when you find out  you're not the only mother who can't make sticker charts work.

Hector, in case you ever learn to read, I do love you, and I am glad we've got you, so if I'm sometimes a little less enthusiastic than I should be about you, don't judge me too harshly. I think it's normal, and at least I'm being honest. And if you are reading this at some future date, perhaps you could tell me why house-training was really so difficult.

10 comments:

  1. This post brings back such memories for me! Our dog, who died a couple of months ago aged 16, was a VERY active, in-your-face puppy. She was bouncy, and bubbly and into everything. I too used to come down to breakfast in boots - I'd forgotten all about that! However... we/I persevered and eventually she calmed down (possibly after a year, sorry)and became a well behaved, but still lively and characterful dog. The thing which really helped me, was a dog trainer telling me not to be afraid to put her on the lead in the house to restrict her (for example when I was working in the kitchen, or we wanted her to learn to lie quietly in the evening while we were watching tv) and to help her learn that she couldn't put her nose into everything! She could see me, but learned to lie quietly.
    Hector is lovely, and eventually you will look back and try hard to remember how much hard work he was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our dog died two years ago and there were various reasons at the time (mostly, imminent births of grandchildren) for not getting a puppy for the next year or so, and now I'm just not sure I've got the capacity for the extra work at present. But I hate not having a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For all of those reasons = why we have a cat. (and even that can be an extra burden I don't need)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cats. And sticker charts are rubbish. As eny fule no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think getting a dog would terrify me more than having another baby. Mind you, I've never had one. And my husband is allergic, so it's not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha. I was just telling the dog today - "Please stop following me". She is now very low maintenance, but is also devoted to me and literally gets up and moves to another side of a room when I do. It's raining outside at the moment and she's walking around wondering why no one is going to walk her round the block. I can let her out in the back for her evening poop - she'll be fine. But no, the guilt. Good job my mother is here (not the world's greatest dog lover) telling me not to be so stupid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm scared because I'm about to get a dog - wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks--this was a reality chek for me. As you know we have three cats (and I LOVE them) but lately a tiny little idea that if we got a smallish dog, maybe a nice spaniel... it might be ok. I think you've helped me to put that one out of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must admit that I am ambivallent to pets. But we have a cat, as I was outnumbered by the other two family members.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh god. So true. We have just left the puppy years (sort of) and I have to admit that if I have my way, we will *never* have another puppy again. I don't mind having another dog who is older, but not a puppy. Yikes. (The puppy now teenager is better than he was. Just holding on for next year when perhaps he will be a bit better than now).

    He is sweet, but he is mental.

    ReplyDelete