Saturday, November 17, 2012

Compliment... I think...

I picked 8-yo up from school one day last week, not dressed in my usual clothes, but in sharper attire.

I thought I was going to have to eat public humble pie and confess to having bought an item of clothing that I poured scorn and loathing on in a previous blog post. Jeggings. I thought I'd ranted at length about them, but on looking up that old post, it turns out, my memory was wrong. I was ranting about pyjama jeans. Pyjama jeans... *physical shudder*...

Now I probably don't strike you instantly as a jeggingsy kind of a gal, and I confess that in M&S recently, I had to ask the meaning of the word "treggings". I can't be doing with all these hybrid items. It's like layering. I've never got the hang of that. If you're cold, put on a jumper. If you're not, wear a shirt. Can't really do layering. Doesn't make sense, and looks like you didn't finish getting dressed properly. Perhaps I just had too many people in my childhood telling me to tuck my school blouse in (or "tuck yourself in" as they would say, which is a very odd turn of phrase, if you stop to think of it).

As I was saying, jeggings have not come naturally to me, but now I've taken the plunge (visual image of two M&S assistants each holding one side of a pair of jeggings, and me on a diving board above, shutting my eyes and holding my nose, stepping off and arriving, bump, ouch, into the garment), and I have to say they do look great with long suede boots, and a snappy city-dweller short mac. (Do they call them "macs" these days, or should I say "raincoat"?)

Back to 8-yo. When I picked her up, she said

"Oh Mummy, I hardly recognised you, you look so pretty".

Which I took as a compliment.

.

10 comments:

  1. So cute!! I keep, keep, keep meaning to send you a proper email, will do soon... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I have never embraced jeggings really. But yes, take it as a compliment. A bit like my mother (who has just left after a month here) telling me that I can look really nice "when I try". Gee thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are so fashion forward. I don't own a pair of jeggings, mostly because I have no one to 'shoot me into them'. I've got that human canon ball kind of image in my head, where someone fires me into the trousers... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha! That was an honest compliment!
    The danger with jeggings is you can put on weight and not really notice it as they stretch, but that's the price of comfort! Laughed at your description of getting into them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 8 year olds don't say things they don't mean (in my experience), so yes I would definitely take it as a compliment! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So presumably they aren't just leggings (dark, usually black) but they look denim-y? (Yes I know jeans plus leggings = ) I am not surer i have actually seen a pair 'in action'. Could you vlog them........!?
    To be honest they make me shudder, though I am sure your daughte ris right & you look great. It just reminds me of 'slanket'. I can't get beyond these melded words I am afraid, whether or not the end result is lovely:o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah six, the mistresses and masters of all back-handed compliments...

    You're the 2nd person recently I've heard rave about the M&S jeggings - a friend of mine showed up in a pair and they look to me like those super-skinny stretch jeans we used to wear in the early 80s which makes me happy... off to get a pair now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think jeggings must be very comfortable, and would look great with a raincoat and boots, but what does one wear when not wearing the raincoat? Is it a long jumper/top, or one that just goes past the waist? That is my dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your description of getting into them - reminds me of an experience I had trying on one of those bathing suits that advertises itself as taking '10 pounds' off due to its powerful spandex construction. I probably burned 5,000 calories just trying to put the thing on, so I suppose it wasn't a complete lie.

    I would say 8yo gave you an entirely heartfelt compliment - revel in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look here - scarf, long jumper/sweater, with leggings/jeggings, and boots. So simple yet sophisticated. I think it looks good on all body types, too. Is this ensemble in the US too, or just in the UK (I've been away too long!)?

    ReplyDelete