Thursday, November 22, 2012

How I know, I just know, that Google Maps is edited by a man

I love, love, love Google Maps. I'm sorry if you're a Mapquest fan - is anyone these days? - but Google Maps is just so much better than anything else out there.

I can spend hours zooming round the world. I don't, because I reckon I already spend too much time in front of a screen  in idle pursuits. But it's fabulous, isn't it? You can SEE so much. I wish my father had lived in the era of Google Maps. He loved travel, geography, thinking about other cultures. He used to read travel books, and look at atlases. He would have loved zooming round the world. How it feeds your imagination! It's like being a child.

Google Maps are so USEFUL too. I love the street view. A house has come up for sale near our one (which is STILL on the market, waaah). I can have a quick look at it on Google Maps. Oh yes. THAT one. I recognise it. Going to a new place in our new city, and not sure if I'll find it ok. Quick scoot around Google Maps to have a shufty in advance so I know what to look out for. Feeling nosey about an area for some underhand reason? You can have a snoop from the privacy of your own desk. I trust the routes and timings of Google Maps far above our GPS - though if Google Maps added a voice, called itself Emily, and insinuated itself into Husband's trusting heart, then I'd probably turn against it too. It's MARVELOUS, that's what Google Maps is. And I try not to use upper case words too much in my writing (lazy emphatics, in my opinion), so when I do so, you REALLY know I mean it. They've started showing buildings in 3D on the map now, when you go in close. That's fairly incredible.

I like the odd quirk of humour too. If you set a route from England to America, it tells you to swim the Atlantic (at least it used to... I've just tried it, and it didn't seem to work). And there's a place in Antarctica where they've added a little cartoon penguin (not that I'd encourage stereotyping the culture of any geographical location, but they do have a point).

But...

Google Maps has just changed the way one of its features works, and it's a disaster. Now, it has to be said, I'm not the world's most spatially competent person. I'm a bit slow in three dimensions. I remember the days when I instinctively wanted a mouse to operate in left/right the other way. You get what I mean. I wanted to move the mouse to the left, and see the cursor move to the right. Apparently it's quite common, and don't worry about me. I got over it some years ago. I can cause hilarity by trying to learn a new Playstation or Wii game. It involves a lot of expletives, and questions like "but why does it go THAT way, when I turn the console THIS way?" (more lazy emphatics, sorry). If I'm in a lift, and I want to hold the doors open for someone who's hurrying to get in, it's very hit or miss whether I will improve their chances. I look at those arrows and lines, and in the heat of the moment, pressure on, hit both, one after the other, until I get the desired result. I really, really, really can't imagine the solar system, with planets in orbit on different planes. They should be in a straight line, like in the pictures in books. No... operating 2D to 3D isn't my strong suit.

In fact, in the early days of Google Maps, when you had to click on a small arrow on the side of the frame to move the map from left to right or up and down, I found it counter-intuitive. I pointed out to Husband that if you click on the arrow on the left, the map moved to the right. What was the logic of THAT? He helped me re-wire my neural pathways on that one, by suggesting I think of it in terms of "you click on the arrow that points in the direction of the bit of map you want to see next". Good old Husband.

Which brings me to the point of this post. Google Maps has changed the way you get the camera to rotate around, when you're in Street View. Once you've got over the initial excitement of being in Street View ("Oh my goodness, look at the DETAIL... it's AMAZING..."), you can usually turn around, to the left, to the right, and then walk up and down the street. But they've changed the little operating thingy in the top left hand corner. You used to click on the arrow that points in the direction of the bit of world you want to see next. The left arrow for looking to the left; the right arrow for looking to the right. Easy peasy. Now, they have a compass, and when you hover over it, you can "rotate compass clockwise" or "rotate compass anti-clockwise". This is totally bewildering. It means you click on the left side of it to go right, and the right side of it to go left. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT? It makes me feel like I'm driving from north to south and someone won't let me turn the map round. That's what it makes me feel like.

And THAT, dear Bloggy Friends, is how I know, I just know, that Google Maps is edited by a man.

.

4 comments:

  1. One of the most painful units I ever taught was one where I got the bright idea to have my students research some well-known cities by creating a tour of well-known landmarks around 'their' city using Google Earth. In theory, it was one of the best cutting-edge type lessons I have ever designed. In practice, it made we want to tear out every last hair I had. I do love Google Maps, too, and I couldn't agree with you more, though. It sounds like you're doing far better than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a compass?
    I just click (and hold) on part of the image then drag it.
    Say if I want to see further to the left (if I were physically stood there I'd be turning to my left) - I click somewhere over the left side, hold the mouse button down and drag that bit across to the right, thereby exposing more of the image to the left. You can drag up/down as well as left/right.
    You are literally grabbing hold of the map picture and moving it where you want.
    If you find it's moving the wrong way, no worries, just keep a hold of the mouse button and drag that map about any which way.
    Once you release the mouse button the map sits still again.
    You can do this on the standard view (2D map) as well as street view.
    So, if you're following a long road, just click, hold, drag.
    You need to let go once your grabbed bit gets to the edge of the viewable area, but then just grab another bit of the map image and drag it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My phone has just switched to Apple Maps, which is even worse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just had a look at Google Msps, but it just looks the same as it has been for ages. I can click and hold on the image to move round it, or up in the top left hand corner there is a circle with four arrows on it. If I click on them it takes me in the direction of the arrow. Perhaps you have been specially selected for testing a new system!

    ReplyDelete