Thursday, November 1, 2012

Nappy Valley

Superstorm Sandy has shocked us all. What do you make of how America is dealing with the aftermath?

I emailed Nappy Valley Girl, saying "I think everyone is waiting for a blog post from you. Hope all is ok." I'm not sure what I expected, but those of us who follow NVG's blog, written from Long Island, know that she is the kind of gal who'd be good in a crisis. Do you remember that time when they were away on holiday, there was a storm which blew over a large tree, right onto their house, demolishing it in one fell swoop? They had to move house.

As I say, I'm not sure what I expected, but it was probably a story of some kind, a description of what the storm was like, a few thoughts on how everyone is coping. Maybe an insightful reflection on some aspect of American life, as revealed by this dramatic episode. Well, this is what she replied:

"Ok but no power possibly for 2 weeks. Cellphone patchy. Plus I am unwell. Feels like something from a disaster film round here. Please let people know. America is not coping with this at all."

I then asked if she was happy for me to share this in a blog post, and she said yes.

Spare a thought for NVG (I'm sure lots of us have been). This isn't what she signed up for, when she headed off to Long Island from London. Why not go and leave her a comment? I don't know what else to suggest.

.


3 comments:

  1. That's interesting.
    I know that the storm covered miles and miles and miles and the people that were effected are in the millions, it's hard to get help to people over night. I know also that the National Guard has been called in and that food/aid has been sent in. It's going to be a long haul no matter what as that storm wiped out so much, it was horrible, it destroyed so so much... I'm sorry that your friend was caught in the middle of this, I just hope that she gets her power back on and that she has clean water and food... I will pray for her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually left a comment on her last post yesterday. She had been 'quiet' for a while before the storm hit, so I thought she might have been traveling. I hemmed and hawed about leaving a message, not wanting to nag her or seem like a stalker, but I did finally go ahead and do it. I was sure I was not the only one of her readers that was wondering and worrying. With family all up and down the eastern seaboard, I've been watching the news closely and have been stunned at the devastation. Thanks so much for filling us in, Iota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back online now and have just posted about the storm. Thanks for the post, Iota.

    ReplyDelete