Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Train of thought

7.35am, and I’m sitting in the Pumpkin Café, York station, with cup of tea and bacon roll. On my way to the US Embassy to renew my visa. Mine and the children’s. Probably want to take them back with me when I go. Be a shame if I had a visa and they didn’t.

Bit of an adventure getting here. Had planned to leave house by 6.10, to get 6.53 train from Malton to York. Woke up at 6.28. Don’t know how this happened. My alarm clock was set. Husband’s alarm clock was set. Did we both mis-set them? Did they both fail to go off? Freakish. Or did we both sleep through them? Perhaps we need a holiday. Oh. We’re on holiday. Does the part of me that doesn’t want to renew my visa have more say when I’m asleep? So anyway, 6.28. That left me 25 minutes exactly to get up, dressed, drive 8 miles to Malton, find somewhere to park (no station car park at Malton and I don’t know the town, only ever been to the station to pick up or drop off), and buy a ticket.

I made it. Still now quite sure how, though remember finding a miraculously free car park (didn’t know those existed any more), and running to the station, wiping tears out of my eyes as the chill morning wind whipped by my face (wind, because I was running like the, not because it was a windy morning - just to clarify). Even had time for little chat with booking office clerk, who said he’d been a bit late for work himself and it must be one of those days. Hope the Embassy staff don’t mind my hair, or my unshowered aroma.

8.05am, and I’m on the train to London King’s Cross. I love train travel. Love it with a passion that makes me wonder if I was born in the wrong era. Thank goodness I had sons, because they’re nothing if not a good excuse for the occasional steam train ride.

Got a seat with a table, and have The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which I’m told (by many, though not all) I won’t be able to put down, but I know that for most of the journey, I won’t write or read. I’ll look out of the window. Why ever not? Flashing through probably the most beautiful county in probably the most beautiful country on earth.

Might have to move. There’s a woman with a mobile phone, a written report, and a very loud voice.

“Well, Jason, I think I’m just going to put 2.5 as regards that figure, because that’s what all the other sites have done, and so I don’t see why I shouldn’t.”

I don’t see why she shouldn’t either, but I don’t want to listen all the way to King’s Cross. Train is remarkably empty (why?), so plenty of choice.

Power stations – one on my left, one on my right. Countryside very flat now. That’ll teach me to write “probably the most beautiful county…”.

Haven’t got a laptop. Just in case you were picturing me, all high tech and wired up. Or wire free. No, not allowed electrical things in the US Embassy. Not even allowed a clicky key fob. Lucky I had an old-fashioned turn-in-the-lock one, though intriguingly it only worked in the passenger side door. That required about 3 precious seconds in the car park. The remembering and the sprinting round to the other side.

Now, Bloggy Peeps. Should that be Peops? Trouble is, that looks like Pee-ops. But Peeps is a bit Thomas the Tank Engine. Oh, I don’t know. I’ll call you Bloggy Friends.

Now, Bloggy Friends. I know I’m on a blogging break, but I thought you might like to know about my summer so far. Just a few highlights.

Cyber Mummy
Oh my goodness, I loved Cyber Mummy (except for the name, sorry, I just can’t love that name). There was something very fulfilling, in the genuine sense of that word, about meeting women who I’d got to know so well online over the past three years. I mean, three years is hardly a whirlwind romance, so these are people who have had a window into a measurable percentage of my adult life, and I into theirs. Yours.

There were some excellent moments. One of my faves was when I won a month’s supply of Garofalo pasta in the prize draw. I and the friend I was sitting next to thought it was Gruffalo pasta, because she’d just been telling me about interviewing Julia Donaldson. Gruffalo pasta. Why the heck not?

More summer highlights:

over-riding my vertigo to go up the Eiffel Tower – to the top, mind you – and finding I thoroughly enjoyed it;

sitting in the front garden, sharing a bottle of evening wine with my husband and brother, the temperature somewhere around the high 80s, the air scented with jasmine, still, and heavy, the conversation punctuated by Parisians nodding Bonsoir to my brother as they walked past;

watching my temperature-resistant children swim in the sea with cousins in both Brighton and St Andrews (different cousins – we don’t carry a set round with us on our travels);

the mundane familiarity of small English things, like being called ‘Love’ by shop assistants;

visiting ruined abbeys and having picnics;

staying with my mum, who is quite definitely one of Britain’s National Treasures;

old friends, with their children 2 years older than last time I saw them;

going to a museum, or two or three, including the Natural History Museum in London, where 9-yo decided he wants to become a geologist;

bumping into some friends at Abington services on the M74. We were driving north from Yorkshire to the Scottish Highlands. They were driving south from Edinburgh to the Lake District. What were the chances? We last saw them in October 2006, just before we went to America. We gave them lamps that we couldn’t take with us (different voltage in the US). I’d forgotten. They now have a 2 year old.

Oh so many more, but this is a blog, not a novel, so I must stop. One low point to report: 9-yo breaking his collar bone when he fell off a bike. Hurrah for the NHS, I must say. In and out of A&E within an hour and a quarter - friendly nurses, friendly doctor, x-rays, pain-killers, and a sling - no forms to fill in, and not a penny to pay. Horrid to see him in pain and shrunk into himself, though. He's doing fine now - thanks for asking - and having an arm in a sling doesn't stop him doing much. Cricket, football, swimming, building sandcastles, DS, monopoly, sibling squabbling... all these summer activities are possible one-armed. Just as well he's not a blogger. Blogging one-handed would be frustrating.

More anon.

.

26 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a fantastic time

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it love it love! (obviously not the broken collar bone bit - but glad the nhs delivered)

    lovely to hear it all and glad you are having a lovely time. bumping into your old friends at a service station - quite unbelievable!

    that alarm thing has happened to me and tom before - it is strange

    enjoy the rest! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're really near malton- the station master has let my husband get on the train with a free ticket before now (he'd forgotten wallet, forgotten travel pass, forgotten keys/phone/brain...) and the bloke just shrugged it off as something that happens to all of us...
    Our alarm didn't go off this morning either- and considering it was C's 6mth salary review today, could have been better timing. Perhaps it was a Ryedale thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to hear from you again and so glad you're having a fantastic summer. Love the idea of Gruffalo pasta (Julia D should put a patent on that one right now) and that your children can swim in the British sea after years in America (I'm hoping mine won't object to the cold later in August...). Enjoy the rest of your time in the UK. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're having a ball! (well, not the broken collar-bone bit, but nhs sounds very good.
    Amazing that both alarms failed, but all's well that ends well.
    I too love, adore, train travel, i could happily spend days going all over Europe by train, BUT i too hate when people talk loudly and break the peace, some carriages here are mobile -free zones, I like that.
    Enjoy the rem time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray! You're back! (ish? Is this contraband blogging while the family can't see you I wonder?).

    Anyway, so pleased you're having a lovely time, and that the collar bone is doing that amazing speed-healing thing that children (mostly) seem to do.

    Thank you for the link too. (Although for the record, I did enjoy the Dragon Tattoo first time round, it was just second time and in the light of the others I got less convinced. Will be interested to see what you think, and hope I haven't put you off).

    Oh, and very good luck at the Embassy...

    ps if no laptop, am utterly bemused as to how you managed the post at all. Phone? (surely that's electrical too?) Monitor and hard drive stuffed in your handbag? (possibly impractical)? Artistic licence?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your summer report. Glad to see you are still out there. Enjoy the rest of your vacation and good luck with the colloar bone and visas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Iota: I am so happy to see you're back from your blog-break. :) I just checked on the off-chance that you were back. Happy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s., I sent you a message through your email. Please check. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! How wonderful to hear about your summer. I am back in blighty on Friday for 10 days (sans kids) and can't wait. Enjoy the rest of your hols! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're still there? Jealous, although I am coming back (with two out of three kids) on Sat for two weeks.
    Lovely to finally get together at CyberMummy and at dinner. Hope the Embassy isn't too horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away for long! I know the Pumpkin cafe at York station well so this made me smile. Enjoy the summer - looking forward to more tales from your travels. p.s. I'd forgotten about the Gruffalo Pasta - hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was lovely to meet you at Cybermummy. Glad you're having a gorgeous summer (apart from the ouch part) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like my sister in law who visited from California at the end of June you sure picked the right summer to spend in europe!
    Ouch though. Collar bone. Am waiting for 2yo to break first bone. Poor y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic to hear from you. Very much looking forward to reading you on a regular basis again, but for now, enjoy the rest of your break.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! Good to hear from you. Sounds like a great holiday except for the broken bone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey! Hope all went well at the Embassy, I hate that bloody place!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My family and I were in St Andrew in early July, we may have passed in the street. Anyway, thanks for taking a short break in your blogging break, it's always nice to hear from you.

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful to hear your news - had been thinking about you and how you were faring. Now I know. A little more at least.

    And you CAN blog with just one arm. I did it earlier this year when I broke my right wrist. Would not recommend though.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great to see you're back(ish) - and sorry about 9yo's arm... x

    ReplyDelete
  21. so...if you have a clicky key fob, do you have to leave it outside? It's always the mundane things that intrigue me...

    ReplyDelete
  22. You'll have to take the children Inter-railing. Wish I'd got to meet you at CyberMummy (I'm not mad keen on the name either, tho' can't think of anything good and doesn't make us all sound like robots). Enjoy the rest of the summer - you've packed a heck of a lot in already.

    ReplyDelete
  23. all the way to the top of the eiffel tower? wowser. you did way better than i did.

    this sounds like such a terrific summer. glad your mum is such a treasure. aren't they all?

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad that you're having a great time over here, though sorry about your son & hope his collar bone mends fast and without too much pain.

    Hope you had time to look round the city of York. A beautiful place.
    I also love trains, especially steam trains.
    Hope the rest of your holiday is really enjoyable.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  25. Windy morning? Haha. That reminds me on my time as a jet setting consultant (read: slave to the corporate world) and early morning mini cab trips to Heathrow. Some of the drivers had some very windy mornings back then as well. There's always been a slight whiff of curry in the air. Ahhh, precious memories.

    Broken collar bone? Ouch!! I hope he'll be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was a good read, glad you had such a good visit.

    ReplyDelete