Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Taking a break

I’ve really struggled with this post. You see, I want to take a break from blogging over the summer. I thought I could get to you to click on the play button below, and create in your minds a picture of me shimmying off into the distance, passport in one hand, mug of tea in the other, no way of carrying a laptop too. “I’m heading to the UK, and I don’t want to be writing blog posts all summer”, I would have said breezily. And that would have been a fair picture. Well, fair-ish anyway. So go ahead and click (it’s a great song, you’ll enjoy it).



See that shimmying? Then I started writing a bit more honestly about why I want to take a break, and several hundreds of words later, I thought “this is way too long, and do I really want this uber-personal stuff to sit on my blog as the top post for weeks?”, but I liked the honesty of it, and so I didn’t know what to do with it. It had paragraphs that started:

One of the thoroughly miserable things about having had cancer is that you can't go back to being quite how you were...

Returning to normal life after a trauma like cancer is a little like running a sprint, and then being asked unexpectedly to tack a half-marathon on the end of it...

Here's the difficult thing. I find it very hard to complain about any of this without feeling very guilty. I mean, shouldn't I just be so
grateful? The fact that I've got through so far seems to have deprived me of the right to feel hard done by about anything else...

I know I'm very bad at the whole head/heart balance thing. Thing is, Head has got it all so sussed, and knows that it needs to get out of the way and let Heart have a turn at running things, but for all its cleverness, it doesn't know
how to do that...

I do see someone to talk to (since you're all going to suggest that), and yes, it does help. And I know it will take time (so if you mention that in a comment, prepare to have your comment deleted, since I’m quite irritable on that point)...


Does that give you enough of a flavour? Each one could be the subject of a whole blog post, and there was lots more where that came from too, but truth to tell, I am a little fed up of writing all this stuff. You know how I always love writing, and blogging? Well, I have to confess I’ve slightly fallen out of love with this blog over the past few weeks. It's seen me through so much, but it's recently become a bit of a burden as well as a pleasure. Has that shown?

So, in an honest nutshell, that’s why I'm going to take a break.

There's one little loose end. Do you remember that conference I said I wanted to run? You know. The yoga bottoms and chocolate cake one? Well, I was, actually, quite serious about it, for a short while. But then a very wise bloggy friend (you know who you are) said "Don't run a conference. Spend your precious summer enjoying time with family and friends." And I thought "she's absolutely right". I haven’t seen my immediate family for two years. Two years! Hello Mum, I'm waving at you now! I have good friends to catch up with. I want to sit on beaches, walk in woods, eat picnics in fields, have days out in historic cities. We're flying on Sunday. So I’m not going to organise that conference, but I am going to Cyber Mummy (probably not in my yoga bottoms), and if your summer will be incomplete without meeting me in the flesh, you can see me there. I'm looking forward to meeting so many of you. It feels a little weird – I know you, and you certainly know me, more than is normal for first time meetings, but I’m sure it’ll be fine.

At Cyber Mummy, the tables at lunch are going to centre round different themes, to get people with similar interests together, and to get conversation going. I’m hosting a table, discussing Identity and Anonymity (kind of ironic, since I’ll be giving up the latter to attend Cyber Mummy). So please come and join me if you’d be interested in those topics - or if you spot me sitting all on my own. (And psst… between you and me, no-one made me sign a contract saying I would stick to the subject, so if we want to share pictures of our kids or talk about chocolate cake, then I think we can get away with it.)

And the music? Well, that song has become something of a theme tune for me over the past few weeks. 6-yo asked for ‘a grown-up cd’ for her birthday, and while browsing in Dillons, I came across a compilation one: Summer of ’67. It had a picture of a chiffon-clad, long-haired, wafty woman in soft focus on the front which I knew would appeal to 6-yo. It is a fabulous cd. Wow, they knew a thing or two about music in 1967. Somehow this song has become the place I’ve gone to when I just haven’t been able to connect with the world, as well as being the accompaniment to lots of happy moments. It has suited every mood. Wistful. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve listened to it. Isn’t it odd, what gets you through? (And that line at 1.58, “you and me and Leslie” is actually “you and me endlessly” – makes me laugh every time.)

Oh, and if you've been lurking all this time, why don't you come on out and say hello to me? I'm only going on a break; I'm planning to be back; but you never know what the future holds, and look how long it took Ross and Rachel to get together again.

There. I’ve packed my virtual suitcases (or soupcases, as 6-yo calls them), and I’m off on my break.

Happy blogging...


.

45 comments:

  1. Yep, a good decision. And although you will be missed over the summer, just think of all that new blogging material you'll amass during that time? I'm not going to Cybermummy but I'd have loved to have join you to discuss chocolate cake amongst other things. Have a fabulous summer. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you decide to do long term, you know where to find me. (Although I won't pretend I'm not gutted). See you at CM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how I feel about your blog, so I won't gush here, other than to say I suspect you're the only one who's "fallen out of love" and that we (and I in particular) will miss you.

    Have a wonderful Summer. As you know, I won't see you at CM, but even though I'm not (yet) an "old" friend, I'm hoping I still may get to share tea and chocolate cake with you(yoga bottoms optional).

    ReplyDelete
  4. See you at breakfast in England! Place & date TBA.
    And just because it seems an appropriate thing to say to an Englishwoman in America "Missing you already" (in an ironic tone of course) Not because I'm not, but because we Brits don't say that sort of thing, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait. Choc cake recipe at the ready. Do you prefer one big one or lots of little ones? Or brownies? Or do I get to see you lots and bring a different one each time?

    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your summer Iota. I'll see you at Cybermummy. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll miss reading your posts, but you have to want to do it to enjoy it, and if you are not enjoying it then there is no point. Have a wonderful summer! Enjoy your time with your family and friends. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WILL MISS YOU! Have a great summer! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I for one am really looking forward to meeting you at CyberMummy. your blog posts will be missed.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll be much missed, but I think it is entirely healthy to have a break from blogging. I hope you come back all refreshed and raring to go. I won't see you at CM, but will be thinking of you all (and I still mean to get round to organising that expat meet up in the autumn, it's just that life has got very busy recently......) Have a wonderful, wonderful summer. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will miss reading your posts, but I do hope you enjoy your summer, or however long you need. Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also seeing a cancer councellor, who has told me that I will not and cannot ever be the same person that I was before cancer. The trauma of the shock of it and the chemo has made me different. However, I feel stronger somehow. (But that mightn't last, I know.)
    Will miss your blogging...... especially as I can relate to you after sharing some of the trauma. Each person is different though, so it is different for everyone but you probably know what I mean. I feel drawn to people who have been through it.

    Hope you have a wonderful summer.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, I love that song. You're going to have a fab summer and I will come running over at CyberMummy - well, I'll recognise your hands and your voice from the Vlog won't I?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will miss you and your posts. But I'll meet you at Cybermummy. I'll be the one wearing the antlers. Have a great, great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you should do a real life tea making demo at CyberMummy

    ReplyDelete
  16. you deserve a break - have a great summer xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a wonderful summer and enjoy CyberMummy. I'm sure you'll have a huge amount of readers looking forward to welcoming you back, when you're ready.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look after you and have a wonderful time relaxing and catching up. You know where to find me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoy the break - from blogging and America both! Really looking forward to meeting you at CM. Just don't bring out the chocolate cake in my vicinity, I move pretty quick despite the stomach and the sight of chocolate is the starting gun for rapid fire eating. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. will miss you! Enjoy a very well earned break and have fun at Cybermummy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. have a wonderful wonderful wonderful summer. enjoy the break. see you when you're back x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've not commented in ages- somehow my machine hasn't let me. Even though you have no idea who I am, I think of you as an old friend, someone who drops by a couple of times a week. You've been away before and come back, and I really hope you come back refreshed and raring to go again. We'll see you when we see you, and hope you have a wonderful time in the meantime with your family and with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Speccy! I remember you! Indeed, you haven't commented in ages. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have a fun summer - I feel quite sad that you're taking a break, but really hope you enjoy it. Such a shame I can't get to CM - would have loved to have met you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. i understand the need for a break. completely. ENJOY YOUR SUMMER. come back when you're ready. we'll all be here, waving.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoy your break, enjoy Cybermummy (I hope to be there but things are up in the air at the moment), enjoy seeing your family and focusing on the things that really matter in life. See you when you're back, because I think I know you will be (whispers very quietly). I'll miss you. PS I see someone too, it helps (whispers even more quietly) xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have similar feelings about my own blog, it has seen me through my son's diagnosis and an awful year and now I'm left feeling a little lost about where to go with it. I very much hope that your break gives you a sense of where you might go with your own blog.

    I was thrilled to see you are hosting a table at CM. As a fellow anonymous blogger I will be hoping to get a seat at your table. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I won't be at Cyber Mummy for obvious reasons, but if you're in my neighborhood this summer do let me know--I'd love to meet you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I will miss your blog posts but look forward to your return. I will be at CyberMummy so perhaps I will meet you there.

    Have a wonderful summer.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey you! Can you at least email me updates? Looking forward to seeing you at CyberMummy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Have a great break! I'll miss you, and will be looking in regularly to see if you're back. When real life calls, there's really nothing you can do but go off and answer... x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Have a great summer and hopefully see you there at Cybermummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Have a lovely time, Iota. We will all miss you. x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good for you! I think it can so hard sometimes to just say - you know what, this time is me time. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  35. hi iota

    i'm one of your lurkers deciding to say hello and happy summertime, i look forward to hearing all about your halcyon days when you come back!
    love your blog, am always pleased to see a post from you!
    angie

    ReplyDelete
  36. i inadvertently just had a bit of a break from blogging, not that i write half as frequently as you, and quite enjoyed it. the break. but i also enjoyed writing the last two posts too....

    have a lovely summer. i would love to come to cybermummy but work on saturdays. trying to convince my boss to let me come in a professional capacity. but no doubt i'd just write something that would piss people off again.... see you here when you're back. x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Will miss you, but you totally deserve a break. Enjoy, enjoy. And see you at CyberMummy, where I'll probably be wearing yoga bottoms! Blog love will return, and by September it will be sunkissed just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Iota: enjoy your break. i will miss you, and hope you get back soon! :) enjoy cybermummy!

    ReplyDelete
  39. No worries, my dear. I did the exact same thing last summer. Have a fab time. Wish I was going over for Cybermummy. Oh well, hopefully I'll be there next year!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sounds like a good idea. Hope you enjoy your summer and return refreshed.

    WM x

    ReplyDelete
  41. A summer break sounds wonderful. Enjoy cybermummy, sorry I wont get the chance to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It was lovely to meet you yesterday. And to my delight I just read that you plan to stay in the UK for a while to enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It was great to meet you at the lunch table at Cybermummy. You seemed so serene and gentle and warm. That's the feeling I get from this blog so I wasn't surprised. All the best for The MADs.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Back after a time of giving myself a break - so true about not being the same - rather upsetting, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  45. you are right, i agree with you, while some people are not understood for what they are, but they are thought of as being different just because they appear so

    ReplyDelete