Sunday, August 15, 2010

Three white things

First white thing

I made a startling and potentially life-changing discovery while in Scotland, and being a generous soul, I thought I'd share it with you. Those square white plates that they have in restaurants and in catalogues... get yourself some.

We were staying in a friend's house, and the first night, I rustled up a delicious little something for the children: fish fingers, pasta and broccoli. (Oh come on, I was on holiday, I wasn't going to be slaving over a hot stove every night.) But here's the amazing thing. If you serve fish fingers, pasta and broccoli on square white plates, it looks like some gourmet speciality. It really does.

If I was a half-decent blogger, I'd have comparison photos for you. Fish fingers on my usual circular pattern-round-the-edge plate, followed by fish fingers on clean-lines square white plate. Then you could see for yourselves. Sorry. You'll just have to shut your eyes and imagine them... See...? The first looks suspiciously like fish fingers, pasta and broccoli. The second, ah yes, the second has become North Atlantic cod coated in our own special-recipe golden breadcrumbs, oven-baked to soft perfection, accompanied by delicious wholemeal pasta and locally sourced garden-fresh broccoli tips, served with a smooth coulis of 'ketchup de tomates organiques'.

They had rectangular white plates too, which were even more sophisticated. I mean, rectangular, for heaven's sake.

Second white thing

It is very hot here. As we made our descent, the pilot informed us that the temperature on the ground was 108 degrees (that's 42 for you celsius types). It was windy too, and walking out of the plane onto the stairs felt like walking into a giant hairdryer.

Still, we are quite jammy really. It's been over 100, unrelentingly, for two or three weeks, and now the forecast says it's going to drop down to the low 90s - maybe even a cool 89 tomorrow. So we timed our absence and homecoming pretty well.

I am mentally better adjusted to living in this kind of temperature than I used to be. I used to find it frustrating, because, being English, I'm so hard-wired to looking at sunshine and thinking "ooh, lovely". This just led to frequent disappointment. I've had to relearn my reflexes. It's as if Pavlov took his salivating dogs and said "and now, just to complicate things, I'm going to ring the bell, and then serve you food that tastes disgusting and makes you sick... let's see if we can recondition you...". It's one of those complicated ex-pat things. You have to reconfigure some of your good/bad assumptions. I remember being confused when our realtor was showing us round a house in January, and said "this yard has trees, so it'll be nice and shady". It required a mental u-turn from the usual expectation of "south-facing, sheltered, sunny".

So yes, I'm pretty well adjusted these days. I don't look out of the window and think "ooh, lovely". A lot of the windows have the blinds down anyway. I look at Weatherbug on the computer, and think "ooh, hot". I will confess, though, to a residual English excitement at the thought of how quickly the washing will dry (though actually, it's not as speedy as you might think, because of the humidity). I think it will be some years before I lose that.

Third white thing

I've got my green card. It was waiting for us in the mail on our return. It's white. Forgive me for being simplistic, but I was expecting it to be green. This means that I can get a job, and get paid. It's actually rather intimidating (pathetic of me, I know).

So that'll be me, flipping burgers then.

.

16 comments:

  1. Those white plates do make things look tempting and as I LOVE fishfingers, broccoli & pasta, I think it might be a good idea to get some.
    I'm pleased you have your green thing that is really white now and that you can work! (Do you want to?)

    Oh. your weather is far too hot! I expect you enjoyed a good cool down over here though!
    Glad you are safely home.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have some of those square white plates from Sainsbury's and you're right in that anything looks better on them. They looked very posh for our little at home wedding reception. You can see them in the link below. I hope it's okay to add the link and I will understand if you want to delete the comment. :-)

    http://giftsofthejourney.wordpress.com/2009/02/17/everyones-a-wedding-photographer/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew that green cards were white?

    I am getting used to the hot weather thing too. This year I realise that it's actually acceptable if you a) turn on the aircon and b) go to the pool, instead of doing stupid things like taking the boys for a walk up Main Street or to the duckpond. You just have to adjust mentally, as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome 'home'!

    I love this post--it's fun. Regarding the plates I thought you were going to say something like 'they fit better in dishwashers' but your reason is pretty good. Anything to jazz up my food is fab in my opinion.

    Essex had some hot dry days recently and I was very pleased (English-pleased or Mid-West American pleased, I don't know) at how fast everything dried on the lines. My family in TX are melting in this heatwave, so I'm pleased to hear it's cooling down soon.

    And hey, congrats on the white Green card! I would have expected green as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum has lovely beige and brown square plates. But they don't go in the dishwasher, so we try not to use them. Shame.
    Glad you got back safely, with green (white) card resolved. CyberM seems like an age ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Square white plates are definitey the M&S type of plates. Complete with music from the advert. Congrats on the green card too - what a liberation! Glad you are back safe and well, seems like a long time since cybermummy. Hope you had a lovely holiday. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's wrong with fish fingers, broccoli and pasta?

    Those square plates always feature on TV's Come Dine With Me, I'd never seem them before that programme (I lead a sheltered life).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do agree with you on the reconditioning bit. It is so English to look at the sunshine and mentally say "what a lovely day, must get outside and make the most of it!" before you venture outside and start to melt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laugh only because I'm from South Texas. Land of heat and humidity. There is a week in late March/early April where the weather is so nice you can't help but be outside, but it doesn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so TOTALLY get the washing thing. One of the best things about living in Moscow is that the air is so dry, everything dries in a jiffy. God - how sad is it to be excited about that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your green card, you resident alien, you! Now you can stand in the quick line at US immigration and they will say "welcome home"
    It's quite touching really

    ReplyDelete
  12. So can you enlighten us as to why it is called a 'Green Card' then?
    nice post:-)
    much love martine

    ReplyDelete
  13. The opposite (and another white thing) of that is when you live in Moscow (PM be warned) and it starts snowing in September and you get excited and go "ooh"... and are still getting excited and going "ooh" when it is still snowing in May...

    Very pleased you're home safe (and hoping all collarbones are back to normal too), though sad our paths didn't cross. Hoping you're going to make CyberMummy an annual thing: "CyberMummy, with special guest Iota Manhattan".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay yay yay for the green card! Mine is a pale pinkish colour, I was also suprised that it wasn;t green!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing wrong with fish fingers, brocc and pasta, especially as it's a good colour combo!
    And I'd have expected a green card to be green too.
    So, will you go looking for a job now, or just bask in the knowledge that you can if you want to?

    ReplyDelete