Monday, August 30, 2010

Job

Well, congrats to those of you (If I could escape, Aly and Heather) who said toy shop, because you are right! (Florida, Wiltshire, Lapland - you've got to love the diversity of blogging.) And an honorable mention to Speccy, who did mention toys - but had me in a travelling van, instead of a fixed retail outlet. It's one of those toy shops where you can't buy a Barbie or Nintendo game, but you can buy wooden fruit. I love it, because it's the antithesis to Toys R Crap, which I hate, and which is pretty much the only alternative here.

The shop is very English in feel, actually, because it's small - though big enough to have room for kids to try out a selection of ride-on and bounce-on toys. Whenever I've been in there with my children, they get on one of those wobbly ride-on things that you operate by wiggling the steering wheel quickly from left to right, and I find it hard to persuade them to leave. I've always been impressed by a shop that lets children wiggle and bounce around, especially as the aisles are pretty small (it really is very untypical), so it would be easy for an errant wiggle to knock down a whole display of boxes of Lego.

Incidentally, did you know that in America, they pronounce Lego 'Laygo', as if it were French and had an acute accent over the e. And they always refer to it in the plural. English children play with Leggo. American kids play with Laygos. Just a little cultural detail of the kind which I know you have come to expect from this blog.

Any old way, I'm not going to say too much about the job at this point, because I'm going in on Wednesday morning, and I don't want to have to post on Wednesday afternoon, about how it didn't all work out, having got you all very excited on my behalf. So act casual for now, ok?

I imagine the interview will go something like this:

Toy shop owner: What experience do you have in the retail sector?

Me: None.

TSO: Can you operate a cash till, and credit card swiping equipment?

Me: No.

TSO: How would you help someone who was looking for an educational toy?

Me: I'd tell them not to bother. School will educate your child. Focus your home life on having fun. How about this camera that squirts water, or this whoopee cushion?

TSO: Will you enjoy engaging with children, leaving their parents free to browse undisturbed?

Me: Up to a point. Here's a sign I've seen in another shop, which I'll display when I'm on duty: "Unattended children will be given an espresso, and a puppy to take home".

TSO: Will you promise to talk in your lovely English accent?

Me: Yes. I know no other way.

TSO: You've scored 1 out of 5, and on that basis, I'm happy to offer you the job.

You think I exaggerate the whole accent thing. I should tell you that I found out about the job, because the TSO was trying to recruit a friend of mine - an English friend of mine - who turned it down. (Actually, she's my only English friend here, and the reason she turned the opportunity down is because she is moving back to England. Today. Sob.)

I should have titled this post Job and sob, shouldn't I? That would have been neat.

.

15 comments:

  1. Ooh, how exciting. I hope you will tell off the naughty children in true British fashion. One thing I miss here is that you can't really reprimand someone else's child even when they're throwing sand at your child. (Except I do.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that IS exciting! I used to work in a toy shop. The children were always fine. It's the adults you need to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked Christmas season at an educational toy store called Zany Brainy. (My third day of work was Black Friday after Thanksgiving - ACK!)

    They did sell Nintendo games, but only educational ones (e.g. puzzles and such). They also sold Pokemon cards and games, on the basis that children sneakily learn maths, strategy, reading, and such from playing.

    As an American who's lived in the MidWest and California, I can't say I've ever heard that pronunciation of Lego. I say "Leg-oh"; "Laygo" must be a regional dialect issue. FWIW

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you'll get a staff discount on their toys. Could solve all your Christmas shopping worries at a stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a shop like that in Devizes and I loved it. Toys R Crap has to be the best name change ever. Love it!

    Good luck on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often refer to them as Us R Crap too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old fashioned toy shops and yes they are a dying bread. There is a great one in Harrogate. Good look, you will have a blast, just as long as they dont expect you to be Nanny McPhee, oh yes I am a govenment Nanny - I think if she were real she would be with me

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, i love those types of shops, we have quite a few here in San Fran, and there is a lovely one in my homes town in the UK. The UK one stocks lots of lovely games by orchard toys, I can never find any as nice here.

    A British accent is worth its weight in gold. It makes people actually listen to you. Sometimes I think it contributes more to my success than any of my actual hard earned qualifications!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of the shop, and am especially enthralled by the sign you intend to use! Have fun there

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eek! I have a million people to stay for five days, don't look at the computer at all, clear the inbox, then turn to the blog and you've gone and got a job (and a probable name change!). No hanging around in the Manhattan household, clearly. Will be looking forward to Tales from the Toy Store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you get to play with the toys too?I wonder what your job title might be? Fun facilitator? Toy Trafficker? Best of luck with the interview.
    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You reminded me my old days. I had worked in a baby shop and throughout the whole day ladies come and ask for nappies. I hated that work but at that time I had no other option and believe me there was no excitement

    ReplyDelete
  13. now WAIT a minute. everyone in minnesota says Leggo. i've never heard "laygo." i like to think that we're just a little more like England up here in the frozen north.

    ReplyDelete
  14. woohoo! Hope you get the job, lovely. am sure you will!

    ReplyDelete