Sunday, August 22, 2010

Two green things

First green thing

Well, it turns out that my green card is green, after all. The white one was a temporary one-year one. My permanent one arrived 2 or 3 weeks after it. Husband's temporary and permanent ones arrived on the same day. Can't help thinking they could save themselves some work there...

Anyway, my green card now lives in my wallet (which is also green, incidentally). That's purse, to you Brits, though not to you Americans, for whom a purse is a handbag... Got that? I'm required to be able to produce it at all times. Otherwise, I will disappear in a puff of green smoke. It's in a special little envelope that looks as if it's lined with aluminium foil, which has printed on it:

'We recommend use of this envelope to protect your new card and to prevent wireless communication with it.'

Stop the world, I'm getting off. Are you telling me that people can effect identity theft by waving some wireless gadget at my green card when it's not even visible? I can't keep up with modern life. Can they remove my kidneys wirelessly as I walk round Wal-mart too? Is it safe to go out? Is it even safe to stay in? Aaaargh...

Second green thing

This blog. What am I going to do with it? Clearly it needs revamping in a big way. The design is out of the dark ages. You know, like... like... 2009 or something. I love wittering my heart out here, and it doesn't cease to amaze me that people read it and keep coming back for more. But I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable these days. There's a heck of a lot of very personal stuff on this blog, and I guess my boundaries are shrinking back a little. Which is probably a good sign - a sign of life returning to normal, perhaps. When you're in the middle of a life crisis, it all goes a bit weird. I have to confess that now, I'm not entirely comfortable in my own blog.

Cyber Mummy marked the end of my era of true anonymity, though I'd given away little pieces of it here and there before then, to virtual friends and real ones. It makes writing a blog feel different. I also realised at Cyber Mummy that if I'm giving out business cards, and using this blog as a showcase for writing, then it's not really appropriate for it to be full of personal angst and boobless lamenting. You get my drift.

I hoped Blogger would let me do something straightforward, like hide chosen posts from view. But it doesn't. You have to delete them, and I don't want to do that. I suppose I could copy them all into Word documents, and then delete them. That would be quite a job, though. My research on the issue has turned up the suggestion that you can open the posts, then save them as drafts, which effectively hides them. I suppose I could try. Does anyone know if you lose the comments if you do that? (Comments = best bit!)

Or... here's what I'm thinking of doing. I'm wondering whether to have two blogs. The first would be essentially the whole Not wrong, just different English woman in America gig. Though I think it will become less personal, and more simply a reflection on life in a different culture. I've felt for a while that I've outgrown the whole mummy blogger stage, and that's another aspect I feel uncomfortable about. It feels ok telling stories about children when they are young, but mine are growing up. I'm less happy about sharing them with you all. India Knight said the same at Cyber Mummy, so I'm in good company. But I still have plenty to say about life here, even without them.

The second blog would be where I would dump all the uber-personal old posts from this one. Following the oft-quoted truth that blogging is cheaper than therapy, I would use it to write when I needed to write. I suspect that it would turn into a rather whingey blog, but bloggers quite like reading each other's whinges, so that probably wouldn't matter. I'm guessing the posts would be sporadic, but that's another good sign, isn't it? This second blog would be password protected. That would feel safer.

What do you think, Bloggy Friends? I thought I'd run this by you, and see what your opinions are. Would you follow two blogs? Would you miss the unpigeon-holeable untidiness that is currently Not wrong, just different?

And how possible is it to move posts from one blog to another?

I was going to leave you with Captain Sensible's Stop the World, I'm getting off, but wouldn't you know? Youtube couldn't come up with it. So here is Happy Talk, which seems equally appropriate for a post about blogging. If nothing else, you always know you're going to get the occasional fabulous track from the '80s here. So go on, put it on, minimise the window, and do whatever you were going to do next in another window (the video quality is appalling so you won't miss anything). You'll be tapping your toes for 3 minutes and 17 seconds, and thanking me for it. It's quintessential irony.

14 comments:

  1. Hey, I just discovered your blog and you want to change. Ah well. Enjoy fiddling around with new designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I subscribe to your blog via RSS, so if it was 2 blogs it wouldn't make much difference to me. I hope I'd be allowed to read both!

    I just tried turning one of my published posts into a draft - while it was a draft I couldn't read the comments and I thought they'd gone, but as soon as I republished the post they reappeared. So yes, you can 'hide' the posts, but you will lose the ability to see the comments on them too :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple things... I keep my money in my wallet, and my wallet in my purse, maybe that is west coast talk.

    Yes to two blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really mind as long as I don't lose you and the magnificent contents of your wonderful head xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, firstly yes it DOES work to save posts as draft - and I think the comments stay there too. Secondly - well, I'll send you an e-mail about the secondly. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purse, wallet, thing... my most confused was in the West Wing last night (series 2, episode something) when Josh asked Donna "did you wear the same pants two days in a row this week?" and it took both of us a good minute and half to work out that that wasn't a totally inappropriate and probably dismissal-inducing question... Separated by a common language, allegedly.

    As for the other. I don't know. Like PM I probably need to blurb about how much I would miss having the whole you up here (although I'd hope you'd give me the password) but that I do, even this early in my blogging life, understand the temptation - not least because of the gradual erosion of anonymity.

    For what it's worth, I have a permanently draft post called "dear diary". I may never publish it, but it's where I put all the stuff I want to say, but am not ready to put out there. I'll let you know if I ever press "publish".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mhmpf. Two blogs? Maybe it's just me, but I am already confusing people and their blogs. Well, maybe I should just drink less ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think blogs evolve with the people who write them so to answer your question I don't think you need to have two, unless you want one that is completely anynoumous for whining purposes, but then you can't evern link to it or tell us that you have it.

    When I started my blog it was a very personal thing. Over time, for one reason or another people I know in real life have found it and read it. At least they drop hints that they read it when I talk to them. That has changed the way I blog for better and worse. I also have journal. You know.. the kind that involves paper and pen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what, this blog is just you now, I like it. And congrats on the white green card, I can ask to keep mine for sentimentality Friday if I wish! Thanks for the comment today, appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait - I never got to keep my Green card! Wah!

    Anyway, Iota, I don't think you need two blogs or to hide your old stuff. You never said anything inappropriate and your posts are always brilliantly written whatever the subject. If you are wanting to showcase your writing then I say leave it all in.

    As for the design thing - I am SO with you. Mine is driving me nuts. I notice that a lot of other people using Blogger seemed to have broken through the basic design parameters and come up with jazzy looking blogs, but I am clueless as to how. I need to go on a Blogger course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iota: I like it just the way it is, and the way it has developed. But whatever you decide, I would like to get on both! :)
    p.s., I like the wordpress templates. Of course. That's what I use.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think either would be great. And I like your look. Hang on to it and in a year or so it will be breathtakingly retro, and all the new kids will be copying it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The design thing is such a BANE. I thought I'd be excited about designing my first blog, post Alpha Mummy, but I'm practically paralysed. This blog is supposed to "say" something about me. But I can't figure out what exactly it should say or about which "me". I'll be interested in seeing what you decide to do vis-a-vis the blog update project. Can I benefit from your wisdom?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice video. I really enjoy reading your post very much. I found a lot of useful information from this post. I keep seeing article like these. Thanks a bunch for sharing. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete