Monday, August 16, 2010

Last year, this year

Last year, I drove 5-yo to school on her first day. I have photos of her getting ready to leave, the sky so dark that it could almost be night. The heavens opened, and it rained as if Noah had built his ark in the neighborhood. We were soaked.

This year, I walked 6-yo to school. She had been up for more than two hours, and ready for nearly one. Walking seemed a good way of using up twenty of the remaining minutes. It was a lovely morning, sunny but not yet hot. She told me she had a tummy ache, and I asked if it was really a pain, or if it felt like butterflies. She said, yes, butterflies, so I talked about nerves, and how they would go as soon as she got started at school. "Do you remember in the summer, I went to a conference, and I was reading something out in front of a big lot of people? Well, I had butterflies then, but they went away as soon as I started. It'll be like that when you get to school." She wondered why people say they have butterflies in their tummies, and not birds, and we agreed that birds would probably feel rather heavier.

Last year, I didn't know a soul at this school (she's at a different one to her brothers). If I'm honest, I didn't really want to know any. Getting to know new parents, new teachers, new children seemed just another exhausting thing to add to the exhausting list.

This year, what a pleasure to see familiar faces, to exchange a few sentences about the summer and add "we'll have to catch up". On the way home I passed a friend, out with her twin babies in their stroller, before the day got too hot. We talked, but only briefly, because the babies wanted to be on the move.

Last year, I was so pleased that the first day of school fell towards the end of the 3-week chemotherapy cycle. It seemed so important to take my daughter to school, though of course she could have gone with her daddy. He'd already been to the enrolment and open day. I had to drive. Twenty minutes there on foot, and twenty minutes back, would have been far too much.

This year, I was happy to walk, as I've put on quite a few pounds while on holiday, and I'm needing to lose weight. Needing to lose weight! Ah, that's a sign of life returning to normal, if there ever was one.

Last year, I wore a cap.

This year, one of the other mothers greeted me with "you've changed your hair". I was a bit flummoxed as to what to say, and ended up with "well, it's grown!". I was secretly rather pleased she didn't instantly remember the cap and the reason for it.

Last year, I had two chemo sessions to go. I didn't know the third would be the worst. Probably just as well. I was dreading starting on Tamoxifen, and getting used to the idea of being on a drug for years seemed a huge mental hurdle. Huge.

This year, I forgot to take the Tamoxifen tablet this morning, but that's just because we're out of routine and not properly unpacked, and my pill box isn't in its usual place. Being on a drug seems a tiny thing. I was lucky with the side effects. Lots of people are on long-term medication. It's a very safe drug. Been around for years. No big deal. Not any more.

Last year, my biggest fear (which I couldn't bring myself to write down in black and white - though I did try) was that I would lose myself. That was it. Whenever anyone talked about losing my hair, I'd hear a voice inside saying "and you might lose yourself". I'd lost little bits of my body, and the steroids during the first chemo session made me feel like I was losing my mind. I didn't seem to be doing much. If you take away body, mind, and role, it doesn't feel like much is left. I wondered if somehow the bit that is the essence of me would evaporate, and I'd never get it back.

This year, I look back and see that I did not lose myself. I am here. I am me. (Actually, I was all along.) I can even write about that.

And now it's time to go and pick 6-yo up. I wonder how her day has been.

.

13 comments:

  1. Rites of passage for you too then, not just for 6 yr olds. Well done for passing through them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Iota - what a fabulous and very touching recap on the past year.

    I think you are amazing. You are right, you did not lose yourself. At all.

    And we found you. Extra bonus for us.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that life is returning to normal for you. Life sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iota, I found that a very moving post. You will never lose yourself no matter what happens.
    I was interested to read that you felt steroids made you feel you were going off your head because thats how they make me feel & I had to have chemo 3 delayed as I was not well enough to have it.

    I am so pleased that people accept you for what you are (new hair growth & no hat etc.) I am also walking about with half and inch of silvery hair and people say they like that style. I don't wear anything on my head unless it is very cold now.

    Hope the new school year goes well with 6 yo. Your schools have gone back 2 weeks before ours do but I think you break up a lot earlier.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a year. What a lovely post.
    It sounds as though a lot has changed and you sound much happier.
    Gosh school goes back early where you are. In New York, it doesn't start until after Labour day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post. Our school start was meant to be next week but has been delayed until the end of the month by the smog. Which has now all gone. Oh well - it meant I got a week longer over here, I suppose - but I must admit to looking forward to a bit of 'free' time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that you are feeling well and that you did not get lost. What a journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post really made me think what the difference a year makes. I hope you have many more walks with 6 and I have yet to discuss the joy of butterflys with the boys and yet to enjoy the walk to school with Mini and Maxi - my first with the two of them for many, many years to come

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're not only back, you never went away. Your strength and humour and general awesomeness have been there all along. Glad you know that now

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a lovely, hopeful post.
    You've had a tough year, and it's nice to be able to share the improvements.
    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i too experienced the losing my mind after my first chemo because of the steroids.... ugh!!! it's an amazing thing.... as you get further out from that time, month by month, then year by year you will feel better and better and look back to the previous months and think, wow, I thought I felt better then, but now I feel even BETTER!!! it will keep going up hill until you take that last tamoxifen tablet and then that will leave your system and you'll realize you never lost a bit of yourself but instead you gained so much more of knowing who you are!!!! I am 8 months off tamoxifen and with each month I loose a bit more of that extra weight and get more stamina. I'm able to swim and run miles. I couldn't do that last year!!!! Everyday I recognize more of myself!!! Good luck in your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post! That's so good to read. I am genuinely happy for you. Deborah x

    ReplyDelete