Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Small world

The girl who I was at primary school with was… Brit Gal in the USA. I can’t remember quite how we discovered the connection – something to do with a website that I’d typed ‘Chesham’ into. As I mentioned, Brit Gal was a couple of years below me, and I can’t honestly say I remember her. There was also a girl with the same name as her in my year, who I do remember well. That made the process of uncovering Brit Gal’s identity a little complicated. According to Friends Reunited, that girl is living in the Chesham area, divorced, with five children, whereas Brit Gal in the USA claimed to be living in Oklahoma, married to a man known as the Hubster. For a while I was confused - but I worked it out in the end.

I enjoy Brit Gal’s blog, with its friendly and open style. She talks about things that, like for me, would have been completely alien to her a few years ago: tornado warnings, trucks, the front porch. These are now the stuff of her life, as they are of mine. I read her posts about these things and think “yes, it’s just like that”. We live a few hundred miles apart, but so much of what she writes is familiar. Except for the rattlesnakes, for which I am very grateful. We don’t have rattlesnakes round here. Who needs rattlesnakes?

Brit Gal and the Hubster have an intriguing hobby. They go geocaching. I’d never come across geocaching before reading Brit Gal’s blog. I think I’d enjoy geogaching. It sounds to me like treasure hunts for grown-ups. Treasure hunts were a part of my childhood, and I often do them for my kids too. I love watching as the excitement overtakes their critical faculties. The clue says “this is where you put your dirty laundry”, and with a shriek, 5-yo exclaims “I know, I know. It’s the television!” and sprints off in the direction of the sitting room. Geocaching is a little more sedate, but I imagine there’s still a child-like thrill in finding the box you’ve been hunting for.

One thing the Midwest does very well is the sky. Brit Gal posts a photograph of the sky on a Friday: ‘Skywatch Friday’. If I’m ever feeling low about living in this part of the world, it reminds me of one of the things I will truly miss when we leave. If you think you’ve seen a big sky, let me tell you this: if you’ve not been to the Midwest, then you haven’t.

The only bad thing about your blog, Brit Gal, is that it is one of two that makes my web browser crash (Not From Around Here – you have the dubious honour of being the other one). The only way round it seems to be to read the post in Bloglines, rather than opening it up. So if I don’t comment very often, that’s the reason why. Anyone have any ideas how I can get to the bottom of this problem? It's only started happening recently and it's only these two blogs. Just as well I'm not into conspiracy theories...

So here’s to you, Brit Gal. Funny to think of us in our blue stripey dresses, running around the playground playing tag, doing ‘Music and Movement’ in our pants and vests, working our way through our times tables with the scary Mrs Edwards, she with the bouffant bleached white hair. And yes, I share your memories of the chain-smoking Mrs Davis, and Mr Kitchenman. How could one forget a teacher with a name like that? And oh indeed, the egg and spoon race too - that annual highlight. I won it one year, which is the one and only sporting achievement of my life. But I also still remember the horrible humiliation of coming last in the bunny hop race. Ah, the highs and lows.

I wonder what our head teacher Mr Ford would make of us now. He taught my class to sing ‘All Through the Night’ in Welsh. That was pretty darn PC, before PC-ness was even invented. I wonder if you learned that too?

12 comments:

  1. Well I don't remember learning the welsh song, but I do remember the horror of the bunny-hop race now you mention it!

    This was so much fun to do together, thanks for suggesting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All Through the Night in Welsh is absolutely beautiful - can you still remember it?

    I must look and see if any of my old school friends are blogging. How strange that you've ended up a few 100 miles apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing just how small the world is. Amazing you two met up both in USA now but in different parts.

    Nowadays in England anyway, ALL runners in a race get the prize. There are no winners or losers. How daft is that? What a let down when they enter the big wide world filled with competition later in life.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done you two how on earth you have ended up virtually next door is amazing but it is a small world. I can remember being at Lands End in Cornwall which is as far away from Kent you can get and bumping into an old school prefect coming off the beach as I went on. We had both been left school several years but recognized each other. right lets get on with life thanks for sharing .XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. My first advice would be try another browser--there are many to choose from now and of course they're all free. I have three on my (Mac) computer, Safari, Camino and Google Chrome, for this exact reason. One of the work websites I use won't work with Safari which is why I have several for different purposes. But since Brit Gal and I are on a different platform (I'm on Wordpress and she's not) it just makes it all that much more mysterious...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very strange to meet a schoolmate in the blogosphere - especially when most of us are semi-anonymous! I wonder if anyone out there is somebody I've met before?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fate and the universe never disappoints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very exciting. I am sure I am being stalked by people from my past. There is a small town I used to live in - people now each other in those kind of towns. Well, google stats tells me I have some very loyal followers from exactly that town. WOULD THE LURKERS PLEASE COME FORWARD NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how meeting people from your past in an alien country or blogosphere shows how truly connected we all are - does that make any sense???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geocaching is fab - you have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I doubt if anyone from my past is remotely interested in my present, and for that I am thankful! However, I do think both you and Brit Gal live in an area I know vaguely well having lived in that general area until I was nine then visited my grandparents and mother there every year until I was an adult. Now I go back every now and then. Not often enough, of course. Fun postings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talking of what life is like living in the states have you read justin webbs book that he wrote before leaving his post as the BBCs us editor before returning to the UK? It's brilliant. I was going to say something else but I forget what now. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete