Thursday, February 4, 2010

A dutiful post

There are some words that I’ve never quite got to grips with, in an American accent. 'Dennist' is one of them. I need to have my teeth looked after by a fully T-ed dentist. I can’t be doing with dennal issues. Dennist sounds far too much like Dennis the Menace. Then there’s the word 'and'. I’m sorry, but I just can’t love it when it’s pronounced 'ee-und'. Sorry. I’m not too good with words that end –er either. I like those words properly clipped. Eith-a, for example. It’s just not nice when the ending is swallowed back into the mouth and chewed around with an rrrr sound. I couldn’t help flinching a little when I was at 9-yo’s school Winter Show, and 200 children enthusiastically launched into the opening numb-a, singing “In Decembrrrr, We remembrrrr…”.

There is one word which I really can’t cope with at all. It’s the word ‘duty’. That word just begs to be pronounced dyootee, as in “England expects that every man will do his dyootee.” How inspiring would that have been for the navvies if Nelson had announced “England expects that every man will do his doodie”? See my point? Doodie sounds like what you put your dog out in the back yard to perform. It’s just too close for comfort to doo-doos. I feel the meaning of the word does honestly require a little more gravitas in its pronunciation.

I had a long exposure to doodie when 5-yo was keen on the Barbie movie The Princess and the Pauper (por-pah, or pah-prrr – we’ve been through this one, I’m not doing it again for you). Both the princess and the pauper are very enmeshed in thoughts of their responsibilities and doodies. Given the choice, I have to say that I’d go for being a princess, living a life of luxury and inheriting the kingdom, even if it does mean an arranged marriage to the hunky prince Dominic who rules the neighbouring realm - frankly, what’s to complain of there? The pauper’s alternative is living in a lonely hovel, and slaving away night and day for an abusive employer, in order to pay off her parents’ debts. Hm. Tough choice.

I digress. Both girls sing of their devotion to doodie, and it made me laugh each time 5-yo watched the dvd. “It’s my doodie!” beautiful blond Princess Anneliese would chirrup prettily.

Well, now the word has come home to roost. 12-yo is playing the part of Frederick in his school’s production of The Pirates of Penzance. It’s going to be hard for me to keep a straight face when the pirate chorus opens with:

“We sail the ocean blue, and our saucy ship’s a boodie,
We are sober men and true, and attentive to our doodie”.

Then 12-yo has the line:

“It was my duty under my indentures, [Back to dentistry again, Ed.] and I am the slave of duty”.

Of course the audience will already adore his English accent, and if he says “dyootee” in his opening lines, he will just steal the show.

I'm not even going to get started on the whole byootee/booty issue. Barbie princesses, for example, love to assert that their booty is on the inside, which is anatomically very curious.

Oh, it’s so complicated being English.

Post-script 1: Oops. Seems Nelson didn’t say that line anyway. He signaled it from his ship with flags. They’re so clever in the navy. Thought of ways to get the word out fast, even in those pre-Twitter days.

Post-script 2: Oops. Seems “We sail the ocean blue” is HMS Pinafore, not Pirates of Penzance. Listen. I’m a blogger, not a G&S expert, not a naval battle historian. A blogger. Right? Give me a break.

.

15 comments:

  1. It's our doodie to go to the dennist. Well said. If there is a 't' in the word, please pronounce it. I'm sure your 12yo will steal the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed 12 yo still has an English accent. He'll be the star of the show. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too true. Thanks for the morning smile

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. I wanted to call one of our twin girls Beatrice after my husband's maternal Grandmother until I heard how it is pronounced in NZ - Beetriss. Ermm, no fanks luv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the 't' sound in the British accent so much that it was one of the first things I picked up when I started mid-atlanticising my accent (altering the accent happened mostly subconsciously but sometimes very consciously in order to be understood and/or to be spared someone's rapier wit at my expense). Now the rounded off 't' (to 'd') sound in the American accent sounds sloppy to me. I must sound really funny on the phone to American friends and rellies though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So with you on this; Boy #1 has already - after one month in an American school - started saying kindergarDen instead of KindergarTen, and rolling his r's. Needless to say, I'm coming down hard on that. Well, it's my doodie as a Brit, after all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally fab piece, I love it, even if you have made me late for an appointment. But bloggA, Iota, bloggAAAAA, not bloggerrrrrrrr!

    xxx
    Love
    Josephine (emphasis on the final syllable I hope)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This did make me laugh. I'm impressed, too, that 12-y-o still sounds even vaguely English - Littleboy 1 is already saying 'waader' and puts 'super' in front of every adjective......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! You posts about aceints always take me back to my childhood and listening to my father talk with his southern drawl. If the hard "R" bothers you at the end of words, how about putting some in words that don't have an "R" at all "You need to warsh the dishes" Used to send my sister and I into histarics."

    ReplyDelete
  10. My booty was all on the inside, too, but somehow it has found a way out. That's like, kinda bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm. I do not wish to be critical in any way but the "sober men and true" line did not flag you to the fact that we were not talking about pirates? (Sorry, was in HMS Pinafore as a kid (!) in America (!) and know all the words...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing exciting to add - other than that you just made me spit tea over my computer! Love the anatomical issues of Barbie's booty...

    Oh - and utterly with you on accents. I even feel a bit weird about the prospect of my girls acquiring a Scottish one (after eighteen years South of the Border B sounds just as English as I do). Although I think that's more about wanting them to be like me, than the Scottish accent per se.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My little guy has started compensating for my English accent. He is into mythical gods etc and decided he was Thor the other day. However, because I pronounce it without the rolling "R" at the end, he assumed I was saying "Thaw" so starting calling himself Thaw. Trouble is, Americans don't say Thaw the way we do so he ended up saying "Thaa" or something.
    Very confusing all round.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am far too much of a linguistic snob ever to live anywhere but the Home Counties. I admire your persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hah! Reminds me of the UCSF cafe where i would always be handed a chicken sandwich instead of the tuna/tyoonah I had ordered. I can't bring myself to say toona.

    ReplyDelete