Sunday, February 14, 2010

More life stuff

I forgot to tell you the worst bit.

The day after the visit, back home, in the grim grey light of morning when it had become clear that the negotiating process was going to end badly but whilst we were still mired in it, my friend who had been looking after our hamster phoned to say he wasn't looking very well. Not very well at all.

He had been healthy at 4.00am that morning, when she had been unable to sleep and had gone into the kitchen and seen him running on his wheel. Literally on his wheel, ie on the top of it, which is something of a hamster first, according to the vet we later spoke to. But by 8.00am, something had happened, and he wasn't responding to stimuli. When I got there, he was looking dead, but a few twitches indicated life, so I lifted him out of his cage, and held him on my lap, thinking perhaps the warmth of my hands would revive him. For a few minutes, it seemed I was onto something, as his breathing became regular again, and his eyes opened. On the advice of the vet who my friend phoned, we dripped a sole drop of honey into his mouth, and kept him warm. For about half an hour, I willed life and health into him, but alas, the glimmer of hope was forlorn. Whatever was ailing him was too much for his little hamstery form, and he died in my hands.

At 5-yo's valentine party, I was admiring the art work on the classroom wall. The children had had their pictures taken with puckered up lips, and had coloured in their lips in red or pink. They had then written a sentence saying "My valentine kiss is for..." (which actually I didn't think was terribly appropriate, but that's another story). Most of them had written "Mom" or "Dad" or the name of one of their classmates. 5-yo had written "My valentine kiss is for mi ded hamster".

.

14 comments:

  1. Oh bless her little broken heart...

    When dd (then age 6 1/2) 's cat got run over last summer she wept for half an hour saying "I wish you hadn't told me that," then would not brook any mention of the animal for months and months. I can't help feeling that your 5 yo's puckering up suggest a healthier approach to the grieving process....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh heck doesn't it get you! Loss and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "mi ded hamster"- this is sweet beyond words, and funny too.
    Hope you had a good V day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no :(

    I can remember rescuing a pigeon from our cat when I was little, keeping it in a shoe box and feeding it cornflakes. I was heartbroken when it inevitably died.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my what a terrible weekend, what with the job situ, sickness and then poor little Hammie. I went through a few of those as a child, sadly they're not long lived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little thing - 5 y-o, I mean, although obviously poor hamster too. It's always tough when a pet dies. Yours is the second post about a hamster dying I've read this week - the other being Dumdad's at The Other Side of Paris. I do hope it isn't something going around....

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear, that is sad. Especially as for a while it looked as though it (he? she?) might pull through. But you can take comfort that it died surrounded by its loved ones, safe and warm and with the sweet taste of honey on its lips.

    I often wonder what will happen when my dog dies (not morbid at all), there's something very sad about losing pets. Although I had a gerbil once who managed to chew through my hairdryer cable when it was plugged in, and lived to tell the tale. Some animals are alpha, some aren't I guess. At least yours had its moment of glory on top of the hamster wheel before its demise.

    Can you believe I've left such a long comment about a hamster? I'm actually feeling a little teary! Maybe a lovely puppy to console your 5 year old???!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i still remember the anguish when aged either 6 or 7 my baby squirrel died. i'd had it about 12 hours i think. it had fallen out of its tree and i looked after it. or perhaps longer because my dad made it a hutch. heartbroken. life is cruel. poor y'all....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! Reminds me why I'm sticking with goldfish. You'll have to get a dog next, or something else that lives for ages and ages. Hope your daughter's bearing up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm writing this because you commented over on Xbox's site congratulating him and E for their baby.

    I'm putting this on this post because it's a little bit down the page and I don't want him to see it :)

    A while ago, before Martin's (xbox4nappyrash) wife got pregnant I promised I would post a youtube video of me singing "Yes" by Mcalomont & Butler whilst accompanying myself on the ukulele to celebrate the birth of their child.

    This will not be a pretty sight as I can neither sing, nor really play the ukulele (this isn't false modesty - I really can't).

    However what I thought might make it really cool would be instead of just a straight video I put together a montage of videos shot by readers of his blog and fellow walkers all celebrating - i.e. dancing, sticking thumbs up, cheering, holding up signs, that sort of thing. It would have to be something that would work without sound as I would put my (awful) soundtrack over the top of it.

    It would be great if you could participate. If you send me a short 5-15 second video clip (or at a push a photo, but a video would be much better) along with your name and blog then I'll put it together with other submissions and get something ready for the end of the week. I think it would be a really nice thing to do for martin to show him and E how pleased we are for him. and Martin has been incredibly supportive of me and my various projects in the past.

    However I realise this isn't the sort of thing a lot of people are comfortable with and so would understand completely if you don't want to do it.

    Thanks for taking the time to read this. You can email me at dghughes28@yahoo.co.uk

    Dan.

    ReplyDelete