Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bloggers of yesteryear

I was e-chatting to a blogger the other day, as you do, and the subject of the North East of England came up. “Wife in the North country,” I said. “Wife in the North?” came the reply. “I don’t know that one. Have to look it up.”

I have known for a long time that I am an Old Blogger, but it was with that comment that I realized that a whole generation, maybe two or three, of bloggers have emerged since mine.

I started blogging in May 2007, and it was very different then. That was in the days before the explosion. There were no groups to join, and you found new blogs to read via the blogrolls of your favourite blogs, or by following up comments. So it was important to be on blogrolls, and to keep your own one up to date. You had to make your comments sympathetic, witty, insightful, perky, intriguing, inviting (no pressure, then) as they were your opening gambit in the conversation, and there really wasn’t any other route.

No-one in the UK was making any money from their mummy blog, and there was much more talk of blogging as a guilty pleasure. People would regularly say "I should be doing the ironing/playing with my children/walking the dog/working on my new world peace project, but here I am blogging again." It was a little like being in a club, and confessing to a naughty secret.

Twitter didn't exist (yes, really). You didn't know who your followers were, and feed-readers were for the advanced. Anyone who had a Sitemeter button on their blog was pretty sophisticated. Uploading a picture was a skill that new bloggers sought help for, and were congratulated on when they’d mastered it. If we’d known vlogging was only a couple of years away, we could have called putting a picture up, “plogging”.

Now I don’t want to be accused of being cliquey, or competitive, so I don’t want anyone to feel excluded here. But I got a little nostalgic, and I started thinking back to the old days. Any other Old Bloggers out there, I thought I'd invite you to accompany me down Blogging Memory Lane. (And I'm not really worried about being cliquey here, because I don't think most people would feel hard done by, for not being part of a group of shamelessly backward-looking old fogeys, in today's forward-looking, punchy, dynamic, multi-media blogging world.) Trouble is, as I wrote this, it stopped being a trip down Memory Lane, and became a visit to Bloggers' Graveyard. That's the thing with blogging. Most of us are doing it for a reason, and that often also means we are doing it for a season. A lot of people whom I was reading two years ago are no longer blogging. Some people announce they're leaving (and some then in fact come back), but most just post less and less frequently, until the last post is up there for months on end.

Wife in the North was, of course, the big name at that time, but do you also remember Strife in the North? That was a spoof blog written by Rilly Super. On occasion, Wife in the North would write a post, and within a day, Rilly Super would have written on the same subject. One or two people suspected Wifey of also being Rilly, but I didn't buy that theory. One blog is time-consuming enough...

There were other Northumbrian bloggers who I enjoyed: Mutterings and Meanderings, and then a couple who have disappeared completely from the blogosphere: Mutterings from the Mill, and Over 60 Now, whose blogs don't even turn up on google now.

Then there was Stay at Home Dad. In those days, a daddy blogger was a very rare creature, almost mythical in status, and because he wrote so movingly and sensitively about his daughter, lots of us had a virtual crush on him. Oh go on. Admit it.

I miss Rotten Correspondent, with her tales of life as a nurse in a busy ER. I was actually in her town a while back, and we could have met up, but I didn’t discover till after the event that that was where she lived. What a waste. And what about Blooming Marvelous? Remember her? It was through her blog that I learned that marvellous is spelt differently in American and British English. Who knew? I thought she’d disappeared for good, but she left a comment recently, so she must still be reading occasionally.

Ha, and what about Omega Mum? I used to laugh out loud at her descriptions of school assemblies. Never understood her blog title though: 3 kids no job, since she did have a job. Maybe the blog came first, and the job came later. Then there was Beta Mum, who went all off-shore on us and moved to Jersey.

It’s a pity I didn’t keep a copy of my blogrolls (is there some way of accessing old versions?) It would have been interesting, and I know I’ve missed a stack of excellent Old Bloggers. I hope you’ve enjoyed the trip with me, though, and please feel free to add any other lost old favourites in the comments. There ought to be some way we could have a get together. Class of 2007. Perhaps there's a niche for a website here: Bloggers Reunited, which would put our anonymous virtual identities virtually back in touch with other anonymous virtual identities.

29 comments:

  1. I did! I really enjoyed that! And yes, where are they now? Drunk Mummy, she's another (actually I do know where she is, but she's not blogging per se), and as for Omega Mum, I have a fair idea where she is too - and interestingly both of them may well have used their blogs as spring boards for what came next. Not sure what that makes you and I, Iota, to still be hanging on, though? I like to think of it as resilient. And still enjoying the guilty pleasures of it all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resilient, yes... that's the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh great post. I am great friends with Drunk Mummy and there will never be another quite as funny IMHO. Also met both mutterings for a drink in Northumberland in 2008 and met Mutterings and Meanderings again last summer. We have become good chums.

    Wifey seems to be back on the scene although I haven't read it. I really missed Strife when that stopped. Quite the dryest blog ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading!!!!

    You have hit the nail on the head with this post! I share so many of your thoughts lol!

    I am contemplating a return (da da dahhh!)I've been mulling it over for a while - reading blogs here and there - but feeling totally intimidated by the 'advice' you're 'supposed' to follow when blogging - it just seemed to be so much more complicated than it used to be.

    However, I realise that it is only complicated if it needs to be. Who says you need to follow the experts anyway? ;)

    My little blog led to me freelancing for a New York Times Regional - so I've been frantically trying to learn all I can about freelance feature writing so I can convince people I know what I'm doing lol!

    The name of my blog bothered me for a long time - google it and you'll see why lol! Apparently I should have googled it before I set it up.

    I will likely start a new blog - with a new name and will let the five or so people that read Blooming Marvelous know where to find it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I've just remembered Long Aye-lander in Glasgow. Do you remember her? She used to post hilariously-worded signs - there must be loads of them in Glasgow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha yes. I remember those times. I actualy found out about bloging through a random google search that brought up Wife in the North's blog. I was a lurker for the longest time. Simply reading post and finding blogs through the blog rolls, but I was too shy to comment for a really long time, and I was convinced that I wasn't cool enough to have a blog of my own until I just bit the bullet one day.

    Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just thought of another. A Broad Abroad. She moved from Scotland, to Nairobi, to America. But what was her blog originally called, when she lived in Scotland? I can't remember.

    And of course Petite Anglaise was very much part of that era.

    I'm going to end up writing more of this post in the comments than in the post itself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its funny, i first started blogging in 2007, but only kept my first blog running for about 9 months and at that time it felt like there was no-one out there. now - well, it's a different kettle of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I started in 2007 though I had a different blog name then, had to change it in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  10. O lordy I have no idea what you're talking about. I wish that meant I was young but no, sadly, just thick and naive. I haven't been blogging for long and have soooo much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this! And, also just wanted to say thank you for the very sweet comment you left for me. Glad that Blenheim Palace has been redeemed for you! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting post. I think I came in at the tail end of the old guard - I started in January 2008. I remember some of the names you mention - Strife in the North was hilarious. I wonder if all blogs come to a natural conclusion? My husband asked me the other day if I would still be blogging when I was a grandmother. Although presumably technology will have moved on by then (!) I can't somehow imagine it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pfft. 2007 is small potatoes. Been blogging since Feb '05. Hell, Dooce hadn't even gotten her six-figure advertising deal yet and was still in the midst of her breakdown. People still used DIAL-UP in some parts of the world. I'm sure you can read all about it in the history books out now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a pity when favourite bloggers disappear. I miss Rotten Correspondent (Now living up to her name).
    Mean Mum is another person gone missing.
    Stay at Home Dad wrote lovely accounts of his daughter. Where is he?
    The Mother Of This Lot went missing for a whole year & has now come back.
    Guess that is how it will always be. People coming and going new folk introducing themselves to us.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  15. A Broad Abroad used to be Wee Scottish Lass, or Wee Scottish Blog can't remember exactly. I liked reading hers!

    I started in 2007 too! In fact a friend who did a politics blog for his students, he's a politics & history teacher, had been following Wife in the North & suggeste dI read it & urged me to start one myself. So I did!

    And Iota you were one of my 1st (non friend from home) readers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness, someone not knowing about Wife in the North (I think the first blog I ever read) makes me feel very old indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Golly! I (yes, I'm the ignoramus who'd never heard of wife in the north before) have never been called "forward-looking, punchy, dynamic or multi-media" before!!! Sorry if I made you feel old! Don't think of it like that - think of yourself(ves) as having been at the cutting-edge vanguard of new technology, and the Joannie-come-latelies like me as the ignorant luddites who're only just catching on....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Expat mum alerted me to your kind mention; it's lovely that you remember my witterings ...

    I blogged because I didn't have much of a creative outlet at the time. I was writing for a business publisher and big words were frowned upon.

    But I've been back in the world of proper journalism for two years now and don't feel the need for the blogging outlet any more.

    I'm not a Twitterer (don't see the point) but I do Facebook, where I'm in regular touch with a fair few people I initially 'met' in the blogosphere...

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is sad when good blogs go away. I miss them, too. Wow -- you just made me scratch my head in an attempt to figure out when I started blogging and after looking at mine, I realized I've been at it for FOUR WHOLE YEARS. Where has the time gone? Oh...this is one of those "time is escaping me" moments....

    ReplyDelete
  20. You see, I LIKE the transient nature of blogging. It seems to fit the medium somehow, and allows people to drift in and out of virtual communities.

    I do find I like there to be a definite end to blogs which finish, though. I don't like it when you come across a blog which just stops, abruptly, kind of in the middle of someone's life, and you don't know what happened to make them stop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This post was interesting as were all the comments!! Is there a lifespan of a blog? Is it just a phase? It seems almost sad to think that one day this will end. But as was mentioned, perhaps new technology will just take over and it will evolve.

    I read Wife in the North for a while because of my connection with Northumberland but after a while it didnt seem as good (and the posts were too long).

    It is interesting seeing some that you mention coming out of the woodwork and commenting, giving updates on their whereabouts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I started April 2007. So old-ish. But it took quite a while for me to find people in the "community", those early days were mostly just me venting/ranting.

    Long Aye-lander is one of those who made a dramatic announcement a few months ago about giving up... I did a spoof of it after I saw several of these on older blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I started in August of 08 (had to go check, time flies so), so pretty new. It was the British Mummy blog network, that I found I think through Dulwich Divorcee, that led me to you and many other lovely blogs, though I did and still do read a few I found the old fashioned way. And several I used to read have drifted away.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I remember ALL of those! I started blogging two years ago and started to find other blogs by looking at Wife in the North's comment list! And I loved Strife in the North's parody.

    I can't believe how much blogging has exploded since then. I've found loads more blogs to read (too many, really) and some of my faves have disppeared - did you read Mean, Moody, Middle Aged Mum (Maggie May mentioned her)? She had me in stitches!

    I've read that the average life of a blog is two years, but I'm hoping I'll keep going for a bit longer!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great post! I started in the Spring of 2007 myself still and can't quite believe how huge it's become!
    I really wish Siohban at A Brit Different would start blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think some of the more successful bloggers (like Petite) have moved on to other things - and clearly for some it filled a need for a while in their lives and they stopped when they didn't need it anymore. There are quite a few who have disappeared from my RSS feed - but they have been replaced by so many more!
    Siobhan was the first virtual acquaintance to 'friend' me on FB, so I still 'see' her there.
    It constantly amazes me that ANYONE reads my blog, let alone returns. I think I've only kept going as long as I have (since June 2006) because I only post when the mood strikes me. OTOH, if I was more disciplined about it and posted more often maybe my blog would be 'bigger' - but I really don't care! It takes me a long time to figure out that someone's stopped blogging for good (unless they announce it) 'cos I figure they're just posting the way I do, when they feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is wonderful it's great to hear of blogs I've not heard of in a long time. I started in March 2007 along with plenty of others over on Country Living then joined the marvellous Purplecoo, which I still ove a lot, and fianlly plucked up enough courage to start to explore the blogosphere and joined BMB.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I love this Iota. So many fabulous blogs, so many lovely people, and you're right, it was much simpler then.

    My first blog buddies were lovely Rotten Correspondent, Jen at A Snowball's Chance in Hell, Dumdad at The Other Side of Paris and gorgeous Mya at Missing you already. Two are still blogging brilliantly, two are facebook friends. I remember celebrating my first blogiversary and realising I shared it with you. I actually started off reading a lot of US, Australian and Dutch blogs and still have some brilliant friends all over, but it's been nice to see the growth of UK blogging too, even though it's come at a price in some ways.
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane lovely. We'll start that GOB group yet. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great post - I'm feeling all nostalgic. I blog less frequently these days but I would find it hard to give up completely.
    You were one of my first blog-mates, along with the greatly missed Rotten Correspondent, fantastic Jo Beaufoix and the anarchic Brennig Jones.I think we've all improved in that time - blogging allows you to hone your style, it's a bit like literary busking - if people like it, they drop a comment in your box. The lurkers might not say much, but they usually end up on your blog by choice, not accident.Keep up the good work,Iota.
    Mya x

    ReplyDelete