Friday, February 26, 2010

Life isn't fair

There’s a fabulous moment in the medieval Blackadder series (which unfortunately I can’t find on youtube), when Baldrick complains to his master “But that’s not fair”. Blackadder replies “Life isn’t fair, Baldrick. Otherwise things like this wouldn’t happen”, and clips him round the ear.

I’m guessing that a lot of you might think “Iota’s probably got something to say about this subject. She’s had cancer…” But you’ll be disappointed. You see, last summer I never really had those moments that you’re meant to have, during life crises, when you rail against the universe, or God, or whatever you need to rail against, and say “Why me? Why is this happening to me? Life isn’t fair?” For sure, I had moments when I railed “Life is sometimes rubbish. Cancer is the pits. I hate having cancer. I would not wish this on anyone. This is horrid, and I can't do anything about it.” But the “not fair” thing? No. I didn’t do that.

I think I was a Stoic in a former life. I was probably so Stoic that I felt the need to fall on my sword one day, because I’d forgotten to put my dirty toga in the laundry basket before setting out for a busy day at the forum. Then I woke up as a baby in the 20th century, and that must have been a big cultural shock. “I’m hungry, my nappy’s wet, this mattress isn’t comfy, I’m a third child in my sister’s pass-on baby clothes, I’m six weeks old and I have bronchitis… crying might just be appropriate here, but… no… I think it’s probably a little attention-seeking, I’ll just smile sweetly… That’s what babies are suppposed to do… Bit of gurgling, perhaps… Hang on... It’s not working… Where IS she?... Waaaaaaah…

So yes, I’m Stoic, by nature and by up-bringing. But I’ve also noticed this. People never say “life isn’t fair” when nice things happen to them. You don’t hear “I’ve got healthy kids, I’ve just been promoted at work, I’ve unexpectedly inherited a holiday cottage in Cornwall, life is good to me. It just isn’t fair.” No. People say “life isn’t fair” when they mean “life isn’t all plain-sailing for ME”. But think about it this way. If you’re reading this, you have access to a computer. It’s a reasonable assumption that you have food to eat, shelter, education, medical care, and plenty more besides. There are huge numbers of people in the world, huge numbers, who do not have those things. How can any of us (and I include myself here) really say “life isn’t fair”? Let’s face it. If the world was fair, do you think your situation would get better, or worse? That's in general. How about the specifics? Would you be more or less likely to get cancer, if the world was fair?

And how did we all get to think that it would be “fair” (ie plain-sailing), in the first place? There is little evidence for that expectation. Just look at life. It’s ups and downs, isn’t it? Good patches, bad patches. We’re all going to die. We’re all getting older. We’re going to encounter disappointment, ill health, injustice, bereavement… With some good stuff too, of course. But my point is this: why do we expect it to be any different? Why does it feel “not fair” when these things happen?

I know what you’re thinking (those of you who haven’t given up reading in a state of total depression by now…) You’re thinking “that’s all very well, intellectually speaking, Iota, but it’s not how it FEELS, is it? When something bad happens, you do FEEL it isn’t fair, don’t you?” Well, of course you’re right. It does feel different when it happens to you. No-one ever thinks it will happen to them. That’s the weird thing. I didn’t think I’d get breast cancer. Not even when I knew that 1 in 9 women do at some point in their lives. But I can honestly say I didn’t deeply feel “it’s not fair” when I did. I don’t know why that was (apart from my inherent weirdness, of course). I suppose feelings are broadly shaped by belief systems, and to feel “it’s not fair”, you first have to believe that the bad things that happen in life aren’t fair, and for all the reasons I’ve just talked about, I didn’t believe that.

I think, honestly, I’m more afraid of the seeming randomness of life, than the unfairness of it. When I’ve worked out how to deal with that one, I’ll let you know.

I wouldn’t go as far to say that life IS fair. I admit there is great injustice and inequality in our experiences of life. I thought I’d list a few of them.

  • France and Germany have the best national anthems.
  • Before me and my contemporaries, whole generations of young people had to face their teenage years without ‘80s music to help them through. Imagine the suffering…
  • Library fines. I mean, do they want us to encourage our children to read or not?
  • When you leave a tissue in a jeans pocket before putting them in the washing machine, the whole load is covered with little white flecks, and it takes ages to pick them all off. That punishment is ridiculously disproportionate to the crime. I know you can put the load in the tumble drier, and it does it for you, but then there’s eco-guilt to contend with (and listen, I’m not blogging about laundry AGAIN, ok?)
  • Things that taste nice are usually not good for you.
  • Alcohol, which you can buy in the shops, gives you a hangover. Gas and air, which doesn’t, is only available during childbirth. (Why doesn’t anyone market that stuff?)
Do you have any “not fair” examples yourself?

I thought it was time for another competition, so the person who leaves the best example, gets to choose which blog post about life in mid-America I write next, out of the following: Guns, Religion, or The Garage Sale. Or how I screw up bring up my kids within my whole ‘life’s not fair doesn’t work as a slogan’ philosophy. I could get that random selector widget to pick the winner, which would be fair, but I’m not going to do that. I’m going to choose the winner myself, not based on any objective measurable criteria, just on the whim of my own personal fancy, because life isn’t fair.
.

30 comments:

  1. When you wake up in the morning feeling like you have a hangover but haven't had a drink for a week.

    That isn't fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you're sick on a snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When your children wake up particularly early at the weekend, but are snoring away during the week when they have to be up for school.....

    (You're right, life isn't fair, although sometimes a series of crap things happening makes it feel that way. Best to follow the 'sh*t happens' philosophy.....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When other people win three things at school bingo and I come away empty handed. (Same applies to tombola stalls and raffles)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I get to the weekend after a week of the baby being sick and my husband gets ill so the usual weekend help is lying in bed moaning about the fact he is dying or something.

    My step dad's catchphrase when I was growing up was "Life's not fair'.Drove me mad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have always thought that life is not fair....... that we are sitting in relative luxury while others are starving to death. or the injustice of the place where a baby can be born, be it in poverty of in wealth. I suppose it is the randomness that that gets me too.
    One in three people gets cancer at some point in their life. When I learnt I had it (only last november) I felt like kicking doors down. I was angry. Maybe I did go through self pity but I feel that there are so many people who have the same thing. Why should I be different ? Very complex feelings.

    Its unfair that some life saving treatments are available in some counties in Britain and not in others.
    Some medicines are free depending where you live....... while some are not.

    had a little play with Milligan and was surprised when he rolled into a little ball.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. When the vacation day you took of from work starts with a pap smear and ends with forgetting where you parked in the parking garage of the Social Security Office... Life just doesn't seem that rosey.

    My daughter's class was doing a project on their family tree. When she had to write down her family motto she put "You get what you get and you don't through a fit!" Yeah.. I guess I say that one a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm much more of a "sh*t happens" than an "it's not fair" person. Sometimes an interested stepped-aside "oh, so that's how the story turns out" eg when dh had a brain haemorrhage when dd was 4 months old (and no, he didn't die in the end, or end up with any long term damage.)

    It's not fair?

    -The baby sleeping in when it's your turn for a lie-in. You get just as much extra sleep but so does dh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Blackadder. And I'm not a "life's not fair" kind of person either. And ever since I got my iPhone, I'm okay with everything. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going to the loo for the specific purpose of changing your tampon and then realising you have left the new one in your bag. By your desk. And the old one has just been flushed away....

    Familiar?

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, blackadder, I loved that show! I am now singing the elizabethen theme tune in my head.

    Life has been supremely more than fair to me so far. I hope I am gratefully aware of this, and fully expect that some day some sh*t will happen.

    Sunshine for you at mine (sorry if you got it already) http://geekymummy.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunshine-award.html

    You can actually buy nitrous capsules known as whippets, it is used in whipped cream manufacture, but you can use them recreationally. I don't think this is illegal but do not ask how I know this! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger

    ReplyDelete
  12. No library fines for children here! (We take advantage of it)

    I've always thought life has ups and downs and I try to savour the ups and live through the downs.


    Not fair was when I got three days to produce a ladybird costume for my daughter's class assembly and told husband he could do the next one - he's just been given 10 days notice to do a "book character" - how much easier than a ladybird is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. well I just try to 'always look on the bright side of life, la la la la la....'(whistling that bit)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not fair that my daughter's request for extra time in her ACTs (college entrance exams) has been turned down even tho' she has had a diagnosed learning disability since 2001. Meanwhile, some friends of hers who've just decided they have "test anxiety" got 100% extra time. (Sorry - I know this should have been funny, but I'm so stressed about it right now, I could literally vomit.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good post... really thoughtful. I got all pendantic about the use of the phrase and started thinking 'what does the word 'fair' mean anyway?' and in general it means 'favourable' or 'equitable'... so I guess if anything negative happens then literally it's not 'fair' as in it's not favourable - but you're absolutely right, life is not equitable and I applaud your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When you live in the UK and have moss growing on your car and your friends in California are at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When the weather is beautiful all week and then vile all weekend. Oh, welcome to an English summer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When you have been virtuous and not eaten chocolate all week. You go out and sneakily buy a bar without letting either children or husband know and put it in the glove compartment of the car. You fetch all three from swimming and just nip to get some milk from the village shop leaving them inside car. You return to find they have "found" chocolate bar and wolfed it knowing you have given it up for lent...now that is UNFAIR!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. When your child had to walk a quarter mile to the bus stop for school because you were told the bus could not turn around in our cul-de-sac and now that he has graduated from high school, you look out and see a school bus turning around in aforementioned cul-de-sac. THAT IS NOT FAIR.
    KAY GUEST

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey! Kay Guest here, I made the comment about my son's schoolbus. After thinking about it, maybe it was for the best that he had that extra walk...American kids need all the exercise they can get, right? Still, if you would like to pick me to choose your next topic, please do so! My husband is from England, so that makes our son, half and HaLve. (Pretend that last word is with English accent.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Snow. South West Trains (electric) couldn't cope but First Great Western trains (diesel) were flashing through the station. Announcement: passengers should cross to Plat 2 and take the next train going the other way, get off at next station and get on the FGW train coming back. Did as I was told. Frozen by now, despite many layers of deeply unattractive and sensible clothing. Got to next station to be told that there was no train for another 45 mins. Eventually a train came. Climbed aboard. It's now 90 mins since I left home and I am 4 miles from home, in the wrong direction.

    It set off, passing back through my station. No, hang on. Not passing through. Stopping.

    I could have:

    1) Stayed put and got this train anyway
    2) Stayed at home for at least another hour and got this train
    3) Just stayed home like all the sensible people.

    Snot fair.

    Just found your blog btw. Like you I started blogging in 2007, stopped briefly and then restarted last Spring. Funny old place, blogland.

    Mad x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Just found your blog and see you are from England in the Midwest and I am from the Midwest in England. I'm sure I could think of many things that are just not fair, but I really just wanted to say hi and sorry , if you are in the Midwest you just had one of the worst winters on record - at least they did in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is so not fair that children aren't born knowing how to tidy up...

    But on the more serious point, I was thinking much the same thing as this recently. I have a lovely friend to whom sh1t just happens. She was horribly attacked years ago, her boyfriends always treated her badly, she's constantly low-grade ill, her lovely husband has now lost his job for the second time in six months etc etc etc. And I took her out for a coffee the other day and i thought it's not fair that most people's lives seem, on the whole, to go smoothly, and hers, well, it just doesn't. And yet, I've never heard her complain that it's not fair...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Blumming brilliant post Iota. You're right, we don't see the good stuff as not fair, but sometimes I see it as 'lucky' so I suppose that means I don't always expect it. Not sure if that makes any sense but it's nearly midnight so it's allowed.

    And not fair = having a week off school and being really ill, and rain on bank holidays. NOT FAIR.

    ReplyDelete
  25. canada has a pretty good national anthem, too. ("glorious and free...")

    not fair: once i figure out how to exercise, eat right and lose weight...IT STOPS WORKING. and i have to figure out how to get MORE exercise and eat EVEN BETTER. and then after a year THAT stops working.

    or how about this: i used to have a flat stomach and a round butt. now i have a round stomach and a flat butt.

    i could go on and on

    ReplyDelete
  26. Getting spots over the age of forty - didn't I suffer enough in my teens?

    That's all I can think of, so things can't be that bad.

    I too am a shit happens kind of gal - it actually does around here too...usually on my doorstep.Gah!

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oi, Iota woman. You are tagged over at mine. It's an easy one but if you don't fancy it, that's fine. Mwah.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Being frugal at the hairdresser's and not splurging out on the Aveda shampoo (which smells damn good, to be fair). Coming back to your car and finding a fine that could have bought you six (!) bottles of said shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVED this post. Thought provoking and hilarious. Particularly loved your comment about 80s music...I feel like i am such a product of the British music of the 80s/90s, and your comment made me snort my tea.

    Would love to have some witticisms to return but have been nursing a sick JD all night and feeling decidedly brain dead today. I guess if I was the sort of person who really believed that life was unfair I would bemoan the fact that he spent 72 hours in a state of good health at his fathers and within 3 hours of returning to me was spraying his bedroom walls and floor with the contents of his stomach, which I had to spend a good hour or so mopping up. But I am just grateful that I was the one that got to care for him when he was sick. And today we are spending a lovely day together. We've even made bread pudding to use up our stale bread - the first baking I have done in years.

    Anyway - lovely, lovely, thought provoking post. I love your attitude. Your approach during cancer was inspiring to me and has really helped me through the past months, more than you will ever know. xx

    ReplyDelete