Friday, February 19, 2010

What's wrong with my help? Part ll

Everyone loves a heart-warming story on a Friday.

Remember how only a few days ago, I was feeling a bit unwanted and un-needed? In spite of all your comments, and Husband’s insistence that receiving help is easier than giving it, and we Help-Accepters make a valuable contribution to society? Well, it just so happened that I heard that a woman who was unbelievably kind to me last summer, was having a tough time. Her baby had pneumonia, and a partially-collapsed lung.

Let me give you a bit of background. This woman is a single mother, has three children aged 1, 2 and 8, with a demanding job. As if that wasn’t enough to fill her days, when she heard I was doing chemotherapy last summer, she emailed me to say “I know we don’t know each other very well, but if you felt comfortable with the idea, I’d love to take your children out for the day”. So she left her own two youngest with her nanny, and took her oldest and my three to the zoo for the day. They had a lovely time. She brought them home in the evening, with two chickens ready, in disposable baking tins, to go into the oven.

It’s not that I feel I owe her something, because I know she did it from the generosity of her heart, and not in hope of anything in return. But I did feel, when I heard her baby was ill, that I’d like to help. Didn’t know quite what to do, though. She always looks like she's walked out of a fine-dressing catalogue (even when going to the zoo... even when returning from the zoo, come to think of it, which is remarkable), and seems like one of life's copers.

It just so happened that I bumped into her at the school door. I said I was sorry to hear about the baby, and we chatted about that. Then, armed with the great wisdom and perception of 20 bloggers who commented on my previous post, I asked

“Could I bring you dinner tonight?”

And in the second in which I could see she was hesitating, I added

“It really wouldn’t be a big deal. Honestly. Let me just bring you dinner.”

At that, her shoulders sagged, and her face seemed to drop an inch or two.

“That would be lovely. I haven’t slept for days,” she replied.

It wasn’t lovely, actually. The dinner, I mean. It was very mediocre. Hm... Probably not even mediocre, because in my “wouldn’t be a big deal” moment, I hadn’t focused on the fact that between 3.30 and 5.00 (when she said they usually ate), I not only had to make the dinner, but also go and get 5-yo from school at 4.00 and drop 12-yo at a play rehearsal at 4.30, both of which would be 10-15-ish minute round trips, and probably go to Dillons too, then drive the 10 minutes to her house. You do the math. So it wasn’t a great culinary triumph, but this is what I think. When someone brings you dinner, it doesn’t really matter what they bring, so long as it is edible. It’s the fact that you didn’t have to think about it. You didn’t have to conjure up thoughts of food from the maternal brain-whirl that accompanies having an ill child. You didn’t have to do anything except put the dish in the oven, or open the packet. And - more importantly - someone cared. They cared enough to bring you soggy baked potatoes, tepid bacon, a packet of shredded cheese which you probably have in your own refrigerator anyway, some salad which you probably also have, ill-travelled broccoli, unimaginative yogurts, and a bar of Godiva chocolate (especially the chocolate).

That’s what I think, anyway.

And here’s something else I think. One of the things I love about blogging is the way little bits of empathy and smidgeroos of insight get passed around, and help us on our way. Writing that post on Monday, and hearing your thoughts, made me a little better at dealing with the situation when it arose again.

I knew you’d like my Friday story. Better go, because I’ve got things to do before picking up the kids from school – my own, and my friend’s 8 year old too. She’s coming for a playdate.

14 comments:

  1. Well done you. And if you happen to be passing my street in Moscow, tepid cheese and baked potatoes would be just fine... (and certainly healthier than the frozen pizzas which were all I had the energy to cook this evening!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, brilliant! and that little bit of help probably made her week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure she appreciated it hugely. I know I would. I hope her baby recovers quickly, it sounds very worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I hope she liked the food. What a wonderful geesture and how nice of her also to help you out when you needed it. Now can you hope on a plane? Right now you are needed over here. I mean it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that was a wonderful gesture. Baked potato and grated cheese are the two things I really fancy right now. Want to bring some over? LOL!
    I think that we all do our bit to help other people and all of us need help from time to time.
    Blogging is great as we all have something to offer someone else and we all learn something from someone else too.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome. Excepting help is hard. I think we all want to be the tough person who can do it on our own, doesn't need to worry, has plently of extra strength just laying around. The truth is that no one is that person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really struggle to accept help from people but realise it can be so rude not to accept it when it's offered. What a lovely post, how wonderful that you could help one another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic. I often have wild generous thoughts - but all too often get caught up in my own busy agenda and don't make the time. This is a key reminder to me that it really is the thought that counts. A friend has just had a baby here and her MIL is leaving on Sunday so I am going to round up a few friends and put together a 'dinner' schedule which should keep her going for a few weeks. After all, I am a professional where ill travelled broccoli is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That really was beyond the call of duty, to give up yr Godiva chocolate. Very generous. Ingenious too, who cares what the food was like, if there's a bar of that waiting for you at the end of the meal?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a fantastic post and it really made my day. I am glad that you just went for it and offered to bring her dinner. That warmed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iota -- I think you've "hit the nail on the head" here. I just read your other post (I'm a little behind!) and I agree with the comments. Growing up in Ohio, we were sort of taught that if someone offered help, it reflected badly on us if we accepted. There is always this little song and dance where you say something like "Oh -- I'm ok. I can manage." Often -- it's a blatant lie and you really really want to accept help. Its only when someone offers a second time or insists that you accept the help. I don't know why its this way -- and reflecting on it -- it is really pretty silly. I'm glad you handled the situation the way you did. Any meal that someone else cooks -- no matter what it is -- is 100x better than one you cook -- especially when you are dealing with a lot. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read your other post now and then read this one.

    I have to say that I used to be guilty about not letting anyone ever help me while I helped everyone and their mother.

    With me the issue was like this:

    I have an intuitive sense when people need things and I will then either bring or give them unsolicited help or I will bully them until they tell me what would be the biggest help for them.

    I have been known to go over to people's houses after they moved and physically take a few loads of laundry from them (forcefully lol) so they wouldn't have to contend with it. (as much as they protested, they were never sorry in the end). I bring over meals, I take kids, I am a nurse and help medically....

    I also had a problem because being that I was intuitive, i always assumed that others should know what I need and if they are asking then they probably don't really have energy or really want to help.

    In the past few years I have let myself become more "vulnerable" and ask for help.

    I can't tell you how much happier my friends are now that I actually ask for help.

    Good job you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's the little things that sometimes make the biggest difference - not that bringing someone dinner is a little thing mind you but it all helps. We've got an elderly couple next door and all I did for them recently was drive her into the hospital (5 minutes) every day while he was in there. Someone else bought her lunch every day. These little things get passed around and make life a little better; thanks for adding to the general wealth of kindness out there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And that's how you make the world a better place. xx

    ReplyDelete