Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Little Iota



Here is Iota. This is me, aged 5 or 6. In my blue stripey school uniform summer dress. I remember this photo being taken. I remember squinting into the sun, and I remember not liking that bunch of flowers. Does it show? It must have been in the days before the great industry that is school portrait photography had got started. I remember the teacher Miss Nunnerly taking the photograph, and bringing an envelope to school with money for her for the prints. Enterprising Miss Nunnerly!

We lived about a mile from that school, and in summer we would walk home, taking a short cut across the orchards you can see in the background. Those orchards were all cut down, a few years after this was taken, victims of the ‘Common Market’, and the way it favoured imported French apples over homegrown English ones. That was how I understood it at the time, but my guess is that it was less to do with the market price of the apples, and more to do with the subsidies available to farmers for change of land use. I remember the sound of the chain saws, and how sad we all were. I still miss those orchards, when I’m at my mother’s house, the same house I lived in as the little girl in this photo, and take the dog for a walk over the open fields which replace them.

What else can I tell you about Iota, aged 6? I was good at reading, and I loved spelling tests because I always found them so easy. I was a slow runner, the slowest in the class, and hated any sport or game which showed this up. I was the youngest in the year. My best friends were Catherine and Sophie, and at playtime, we would teach each other ballet and gymnastics from the classes we went to. I always felt my ballet class was rather superior to Sophie’s (Catherine was the gymnast), as we wore BLUE leotards. Sophie’s ballet class wore pink, and even in those days, I rebelled against ubiquitous girly pink. I thought pink leotards were just too insipid and twee for words. What's more, my blue one had a SKIRT. Another point which made it clearly superior.

When I was 8, fate and the school dealt me a cruel blow. They divided the year in half alphabetically, and Catherine and Sophie were in the other class to me. I thought I’d be unhappy for the whole year. I think perhaps I was. I hated my surname with loathing, and then felt guilty for doing so. I missed my friends in class terribly, but I knew it was tactless to berate my parents for the name they had bestowed on me. Loyalty to friends battling it out with family honour. It's the stuff of tragedy.

There was another girl at that school, in Chesham, Bucks. She was two years younger than me, and in all honesty, I can’t remember her at school. I know a lot more about her life now than I did then, though we haven’t met since those early childhood days. I’ll tell you who she is in my next post…

Postscript: 9-yo tells me that this picture looks like 5-yo.

.

22 comments:

  1. I had the blue ballet leotard with the little skirt. We did the RAD and IDTA exams but I always wanted the pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cutting down trees - it should be illegal shouldn't it

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh that's lovely
    Essex Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet picture. I too loved spelling tests and was the slowest runner in my class.

    So, come on, who was the other girl? Someone famous? Or another blogger...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh you look so very British! I too was great at spelling and terrible at running - although I have always been very athletic running just wasn't my thing. I remember the boys huddling together when we were running the 100m in PE and taking the mickey out of my running style. Arms pumping furiously, knees practically up by my ears with my efforts to win. Never did of course with a running technique that had no efficiency or fluidity to it whatsoever.

    Now my spelling is as crap as my running. What's with that??

    oh - and can't wait to find out who the 'mystery' school girl is now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I had that dress. You could really only be in Britain. But who is the mystery school girl? I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute photo!

    I didn't take ballet, though I really, really wanted to.

    I was in journalism school with Robert Scoble, but we don't remember each other either!

    Very curious, you know you can't dissapoint us now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was lovely to see you aged six!
    If you want to go & see a picture of me that age go over to my brother, eddybluelights.blogspot.com He is also doing a similar post.
    Lovely to go down Memory Lane.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iota,I enjoyed this trip down memory lane with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THanks for posting that. I'm not sure if my recollection of being 6 would be as good. Amazing the drama children go through which seems earth shattering at the time and now if you look at your kids and see the same 'issues' they look so easily fixable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aha, so using 'narrative hooks' now........;o) The ol' cliff hanger technique. Can't beat it!

    I have a friend here,married to an Albanian, who went to school with Nigella Lawson in Chelsea! Seems bizarre somehow. Her life here in Albania is so far removed from Chelsea/Nigella & Domestic Goddesses.
    p.s Plse thank Shadowy Husband for leaving a comment on my blog. Feel very privileged! Who knows maybe we even met when he came to Africa Enterprise.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I could remember 6 quite as well as you do.

    I can say that I know I hated spelling test because I was crap at spelling. Now that I am grown I write letters and memos for a living and guess what? I still can't spell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for this post. I really enjoyed reading this entry (isn't it always fun to see old photos)? now i am excited to find out WHO the mystery school mate is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you've got me thinking about being 6 in Oklahoma. I will have to dig out a photo and *possibly* copy you! ;) Looking forward to that follow up post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a delicious time of innocence and luckily for all 6 years olds it still is - ah the joy of childhood. At six I was good at everything and must have been totally insufferable sadly that was the peak of my scholastic career...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, look at you. To me you look so quintessentially English - this could have been taken from a picture perfect picture book.
    And you Chinese friend agrees with me. Or is that Japanese?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an absolutely gorgeous photo!

    School life is complicated at times isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an intriguing hook at the end there - you terrible tease. Great photo too.
    Just been catching up on your posts - your writing gets better and better.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  19. So great to find you. Thanks so much for linking to Skirts and Wellies.

    ReplyDelete