Tuesday, October 28, 2008

More thought on time

It is amazing that my children have any grasp of time at all. "We're leaving in TWO MINUTES" I say. Then I get chatting to a friend, and ten minutes later I repeat "I said we were leaving in TWO MINUTES. Come on, hurry up, get your stuff. Now. Quick. We're going to be late." Then I remember one more thing I had to tell my friend, and five minutes later I repeat "Now. We're going. Quick. I said TWO MINUTES."

Maybe my mother was the same. Maybe that's why I have a struggle with the whole concept of time. If my children ask me any of those cosmic-related questions like why we have summer and winter, my reply is "that's because the earth spins on its axis, no, hang on, wait a minute, no, it's because the earth goes round the sun, and, um, the sun is hotter on one side than the other, no no, that's not right, um, oh yes, I remember, it's because the earth is tilted and doesn't face true north, so it gets colder when it's round the back of the sun because England and America get tilted away, and yes, that's why the moon is sometimes up in the daytime too because we see it for longer when we're tilted." Poor kids. They don't have a chance.

I know 7-yo ponders these things. He once said to me "It's not fair for kids. When you're a kid, when something is boring, time seems to slow down and it lasts for ages. Then when you're having a good time, like at recess, time seems to speed up and it goes by so fast." I hated to disillusion him, but felt I had to. "You know what? When you're an adult, it's exactly the same thing. You've got more used to it, but it's the same thing." He took the news in his inimitable child stride.

Living in America makes it more complicated for them than it was for me as a child (which was already complicated enough, let me tell you). They know that when we Skype grandparents, it's our morning but their afternoon. How complicated is that? They understand very easily now, but I remember struggling to explain it before we came. Before we flew out, nearly two years ago now, we carefully explained to them that it was going to be a long and exhausting journey. Not only was it a long, long way and we'd have to be in the plane for a long, long time, but also, there was this thing called the time difference. This meant that the day would be an extra long day, because it would be like it had six extra hours in it. We'd arrive in the evening, but it would be for us as if it was the middle of the night. We'd be tired, very tired, was the message I was trying to get across. 7-yo took a different message though. He told a friend of mine "Do you know, in America it's great, because their days are six hours longer than ours."

I repeat, I would love to be inside my child's head for a day.
.

18 comments:

  1. Children - always logical! I wouldn't mind having a day with 6 more hours in it - as long as I didn't have to spend them at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that all the time; We're leaving the playground in 5 minutes. Two minutes longer in the bath. 10 minutes before bed. I said only 5 minutes more tv! And so on. You're right. Quite how I expect the boys to hurry when I'm incapable of sticking to a deadline myself is a bit of a mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently stumped by having to explain to Littleboy 1 that the time has changed, therefore even though it feels like morning it is actually 5.45 am! And this is to a child who has hardly yet grasped the concept of yesterday, today and tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
  4. its funny I don't remember having that conversation with our two when they were little, but I guess we must have had some point.

    All mine do is whine now when my mother calls too early in the morning (she never calls before 10am!!)

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time is elastic!

    I do the "TWO MINUTES" thing too. No wonder they never listen to me the first time!

    My mother occasionally tries to reverse the rotation of the earth, and calls in the wee hours of the morning, convinced that it is the afternoon here. And after 23 years here, whenever I call my sister she always asks "What time is it there?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we came back from England in August, my little one kept the jet lag thing up for weeks whenever he didn't want to go to bed. I kept having to remind him that when you come here from England, you usually can't stay up very late in the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally went through a phase of never wanting to go to bed. We tried rationalising that 'the sooner you go to sleep, the sooner it will be morning,' to which she replied: 'it won't, because you're all still awake.' Flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. is it only 7 y-o's head you'd like to get inside? What kind of musings do the others have I wonder? Is he the philospher? I definitely don't want to get inside my 4 y-o daughter's head.Worried about what I might find....

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, with you on not understanding how the universe works. still can't work it out, and just buckpass those questions onto their father.

    I KNEW that America did everything better than us, a whole six hours longer eh?...
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'd REALLY like to be inside your child's head for a day? Those red hot emotions, all that intensity, boredom, misery, happiness, rage? Just like the menopause, only without the eyebrows?....Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute story.

    When we Skype grandma and grandpa in California my 4-year-old always as asks "what time is it in your world?"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes... Yes, time - it's a bit of a bugger isn't it.

    I mean with the two minutes thing it would be ideal if the children lined themselves up at the door, coats on, bags ready, happy smiling faces, no squabbles while we made our final preparations.

    I've been waiting 14 years for that ideal scene to materialise...

    ReplyDelete
  13. And all this time I thought long departures was a Scandinavian thing. It would take our family well over an hour to leave after a visit to my Swedish grandmother's home in Minnesota. It was only after the announcement that we were leaving that the tour of her garden, and then "a little lunch," occurred.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! Just wanted to stop by and say thanks. Thank you for leaving your comment on Antique Mommy's blog about the advice for new moms! I've savored each comment and am printing them out to keep and refer to regularly. :) Thanks again for taking the time to encourage me and leave a comment! I have lots of towels on hand...you've helped me be prepared. :)

    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I Know what you mean. Life is so much simpler when you're my daughter. Other Half caught her studying her feet the other night, in particular she was looking long and hard at her big toes. "Daddy - why do we have foot thumbs?" came the question!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am guilty of that too. It's so unfair isn't it? I love the way they process things too, hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute story. My kids also like to think about how hilarious it is that America (and all their relatives) are on one time and they are on a different time. My son when he was about 4 thought it had something to do with spacetravel. Or was that Thunderbirds?

    ReplyDelete
  18. No wonder it's difficult to explain the workings of the solar system to a child when you have to account for six more hours in the US than anywhere else!
    Wouldn't be bad if it was six hours extra sleep....

    ReplyDelete