Friday, October 3, 2008

Falling tones

I've just seen an advertisement in Starbucks for their signature hot chocolates, and the caption reads

"Make fall seem a little more like autumn".

(I might not have got the wording exactly right, but near enough.)

Help me, o American readers, understand this. Does the word autumn have connotations for you that fall doesn't? Does autumn conjure up pictures of toasty fireplaces and cosy sofas, crumpets and melted butter, golden sunshine through orange leaves, ripe berries and dark chestnuts, frosty mornings dissolving into mellow afternoons (how am I doing here?) that fall doesn't?

Or do you think the British are a nation who sit around drinking luxury chocolate beverages all day long?

10 comments:

  1. Yes. (And yes!)

    I think "autumn" does conjure up all those romantic and relaxing images, with a hint of poignancy and regretful reflection thrown in for good measure.

    "Fall" is more strongly associated with "back-to-school" and academic WORK. At least for me, but then I was a real nerd. Perhaps I've never recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think in the UK their advertisement has to read "Make autumn seem a little more like fall"? I'll have to go into a Starbucks to check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always used the words interchangeably. But the big crucial October thing at Starbucks is when you can get a pumpkin spice latte, then it really is fall/autumn. And time for heavy sweaters, crunching through fallen leaves and warm fires while watching the evening American football game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never understand "Starbucks Speak", a completely different language. Autumn could mean something completely different to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this yesterday in Kroger's starbucks and it was very nice. Didn't conjur up any seasonal thoughts though as I was too busy trying to neck it fast, so i might sneak another one in too.
    I gotta get a grip on my chocolate addiction...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use them interchangably, though I must admit that autumn has a much nicer sound to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want THAT Autumn - the one you described. And what on earth is a pumpkin spice latte? (Actually, I'm not sure I want to know...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh you described autumn perfectly. We have wind, fallen golden leaves and damp mornings now. I need that hot chocolate. Sighhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly the same here as Nfah; use them interchangeably (go Skins!). Autumn does conjure a bit more warm and cosy feeling.

    Although not as lucky on the Starbucks front, we make do with tipping a little pumpkin pie spice into the beans before we brew ours. I will however make a special trip to the city for Egg Nog Latte. /drool

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think aside from the crumpets and butter, yes, your observations are correct. Welcome to the midwest! :)

    ReplyDelete