Thursday, October 23, 2008

What's in a name? - Part III

They held a mock election in 11-yo's school (middle school). McCain won by 4 votes. He voted for Obama, in spite of the fact that one of his friends told him that Obama supported terrorists.

7-yo has also been told that Obama supports terrorists, is a terrorist, in fact. They're not holding an election in his school (lower school), which he is sad about. He'd vote for McCain. "Why would you vote for McCain?" I asked. "Because it sounds like candy cane, and I like candy canes", he replied with a grin.

Now there's an angle that I'll bet the Republican PR people haven't thought of using.

6 comments:

  1. Evan named two of his favorite cars Obama and McCain and has been holding "presidential races" up and down our hallway. Strikes me as about as scientific a method of choosing a world leader as the system we've currently got in place.

    How does it feel to be swept up in this election and yet not able to officially voice your vote? I always found elections to be a little unsettling when we lived abroad -- emphasized my feeling of "otherness" more than I necessarily cared to be reminded of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. McCain=candy cane is probably more thoroughly thought through than some voter strategies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess voting on who's got the best name could be quite sensible. After all, here we have had Brown (= dull, sludgy, but safe) after Blair (sound like flair, dare), if you get my drift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet many voters are as arbitary about their reasons as 7 y-o, no offence to him of course!

    What's in a name? Actually in answer that question I think you posed earlier, or a commenter did, about people's job being 'like' their name, & why that happens so often. I read an article about reserach into it. It's called 'nominative determinsim' - You are what you're called! Or maybe it was another blog. I get so confused, but someone asked the question. Does it ring any bells?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scarily they might try it. And what sort of parent thinks it's ok to teach their kids such vile rubbish? That's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. McCain - candy cane in America, oven chips here.

    The Republicans should be advertising on the Food Channel!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete