Friday, October 10, 2008

What's in a name? - Part II

Is anyone else amused by the fact that, with all this talk about the old enmity between Britain and Iceland during the cod wars, our current Ambassador to Iceland is called Ian Whiting? (He spells it Whitting, but he can’t fool us.) I think he needs to update the Embassy web page. His welcome statement reads

"I am delighted and privileged to serve as British Ambassador in Reykjavik.
The UK and Iceland enjoy excellent relations, with extensive links in every field of activity. I am looking forward to developing this partnership still further as we encounter the challenges and opportunities of an increasingly globalised world."


Let's hope he still feels delighted and privileged to be encountering those "challenges and opportunities" in what he so correctly identified when he wrote that statement as our "increasingly globalised world".

Another name that amuses me is Nastia Liukin’s. I mean, why didn't her parents stick with Anastasia, instead of shortening it to Nastia? Is she the middle child of a trio, Nasti, Nastia and Nastiest? Or is her older sister a famous beauty queen, and they chose Nastia so they could say “Our second daughter is Nastia Liukin, but liuks aren't everythin”. Or is Nastia a clever word play on GymNastia? So many questions.

My third name observation comes from seeing signs stuck in people’s front lawns with the names “Obama - Biden” on them. They look like this:



and yes, you do see quite a lot of them even here in red states heartland.






Does anyone else misread this as Osama Bin Laden, or is that just me? I mean, Obama is pretty darn close to Osama. Biden is three letters short of Bin Laden. If you take Bin Laden and remove those three letter from the middle, then as the French say, oop-la, or in this case n-la, you get Biden.

But then McCain is clearly all about pizza and oven chips, and Palin is too close to Pain for comfort, so there isn't a clear winner on the name ticket.

11 comments:

  1. In defense of Liukin's parents, it looks much better in cyrillic letters :-)
    And Russian nicknames sometimes boggle western minds, like Sasha for Aleksandr. I still don't see it. If you're bored there are other good ones here
    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/7635/names.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the link didn't copy right, I'm used to wordpress! Try again:
    Russian Names and their nicknames

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I misread the Obama one quite easily as Osama. Sorry to be dim but been out of the loop a bit with American politics; what does Obama Biden mean? I mean the Biden bit, not the Obama bit. Not THAT much out of the loop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee, brill post. Is she Nastia Luikin? Poor girl. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, doh, it's Joe Biden his running mate. Am not keeping up with American politics over here in the Albanian backwoods. Didn't know the running mate was so important, they appear on the campaign posters. In the UK, I don't think many people would even know who the deputy prime minister was, except when it was John Prescott, but that was for different reasons.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well observed on Ian Whiting! Iceland is not my friend at the moment - I blame Bjork and Damon Albarn for making us all think it was cool. And an article I read in the Observer last year (shortly before switching my savings to an Icelandic account) that said what a wonderful, sorted country it was....tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just popped in here and started chortling. I have no idea why real life must keep me away from a blog like yours!

    Yes, yes - obama/osama etc - it's extraordinary. Bad Ama overtaken by Good Ama in a nation's subconcious.

    My sons' karate teacher is called Armstrong. And one has a french teacher called Mrs French. How do these coincidences occur? Are people preset by their names?

    I shall have to come back again to explore your recycling bin... Mine is as big as a wardrobe, sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the news on Friday it was reported that on some ballots that have already been printed for early voting, Obama's name was put on as Barak Osama. Rather unfortunate, especially in light of McCain's loyal fans actually calling Obama an Arab at one of his recent rallies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ditto expat mum!

    Delighted that you see so many of those signs though! There is a distinct dearth of them in this neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just been emailed by a Mr. Plucky Singh and a Miss Kiki Snodgrass.

    Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never saw that before (I guess because those lawn sign aren't up here in the UK!)

    Hmmm.

    But my favourite one is, there is an electrician here and his name is PJ Sparks!

    BTW -- the name thing is a British thing, my husband always points this name stuff out to me.

    ReplyDelete