Friday, October 24, 2008

Time flies

I don't know what they've been teaching 7-yo at school. Actually, I do know. They've been teaching second graders all about spiders and insects. This is why last night at dinner 7-yo shared some of his knowledge with us along these lines:

"Did you know flies see things in slow motion? If you do this..." (waving his arm up and down vigorously) "they see it like this..." (same action, but at 1/16th speed). At this point, Husband and I are looking at each other quizzically. I've never been very good at the whole time/space comprehension thing, and am grappling with the idea that the humble house-fly might be not only more able to understand it than I am, but is even somehow at the level where he is able to control it. Husband, who is a philosophy professor (have I ever told you that?) has a mind that is probably some light years away already on a journey of analysis of 7-yo's statement from historical, ethical and theological perspectives.

7-yo fills the silence with more insights. "They know what is going to happen next. That's what it's like when you see things in slow motion. You can tell what is going to happen next. That's why they're so difficult to swat. They know you're coming." So not only can the house-fly slow down reality, as he buzzes about his daily business, but he can also see the future, (which must be a burden, if it is a future that contains the bashing of himself continuously against the inside of a never-to-be-opened window). Blimey. Evolution got it wrong. They'd be much better at running the world than we are (once they'd got the hang of window catches).

Husband and I agree that this would make a rather good episode of Primeval (which is all the rage with the programme schedulers on BBC America), and the conversation moves on to more pressing matters, such as choice of ice cream flavour for dessert.

I would love to be inside my child's head for a day.
.

11 comments:

  1. Gives a whole new perspective to the idea of being a fly on the wall for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee hee. Yes, I know much more about the monarch butterfly and its various stages than most normal humans. They were even "growing" them in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about contacting the scriptwriters for Primeval and offering them the idea? Sounds very like the sort of thing I used to hide behind the sofa from when I was a child and watching Dr Who...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing what they learn at this age. I still can't get over that they are real little people with brains. There is hope!

    Have to say I enjoy your blog more than some of the others I read! There's some weird stuff out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rather wish I had the fly-like instinct to anticipate in slow motion what was going to happen next in our house. It might prevent a lot of accidents. Or is this control-freakery?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I can't understand is why a fly - with the whole world at its disposal - always finds an open door or window yey, when trapped inside your house with all the open doors and windows in the place to choose from, it can never find its way out. Perhaps your husband, or your seven-year-old, would care to comment?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee hee, we haven't studied bugs yet but Miss E can tell you many interesting things about Egyptian Mummies. And Primeval is cheesy but watchable. It's the one with the girl from S-club 7 isn't it? I bet that makes you soooo home sick, snort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aha, tis the academe that dragged you across the Atlantic as well?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved studying philosophy at university - although there isn't a terribly obvious career path after that. Mind you, it is the only subject in which the question "could a pink elephant spontaneously appear in the room?" is a valid discussion topic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It'd make a good episode of Doctor Who, too. (If they don't have the new Dr Who on BBC America you must get the DVD - sounds like 7 yo would love it). My son is also fascinated by spiders - although he insists on calling them 'spider webs' !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see things in slow motion sometimes. Usually when I am having some kind of mishap - it comes in handy as my brain seems to speed up to react. Well it hasn't happened lately - age? fatigue? a more sedate approach?

    I dunno. I have to confess I've never been swatted and I haven't got wings...

    But I would like some :)

    ReplyDelete