Sunday, October 12, 2008

Nature calls

One of the things I miss most about life in Britain is the countryside, or not even the countryside, just the freedom to potter about in the outdoors. Here, the land outside the city is agricultural and inaccessible to walkers (no paths, barbed wire fences on a huge scale), and let’s face it, very flat and featureless. There are parks in the city, but they’re very small, and what you might call functional rather than beautiful.

We find we pay increasingly frequent week-end visits to the Nature Park. It’s small (a rectangle exactly a mile by half a mile), and surrounded by dual carriageways, so the chirping of the crickets has to compete with the noise of the traffic, and in winter when there aren’t leaves on the trees, you can see the large concrete building and big square orange logo of Home Depot from pretty much wherever you are in the Park. Nonetheless, green space is green space, and I am grateful for it.

The children share our excitement. When Husband and I suggest an afternoon walk in the Nature Park, they’re like little crickets themselves, jumping up and down and chorusing merrily “oh no, not AGAIN, boooring, do we have to? can I get some extra playstation time if I come?” Their enthusiasm is infectious, and we head off, beckoned by the call of the wild.

It was a really beautiful afternoon there today. Warm sun, strong breeze, clouds wandering across a blue sky, autumn colours at their finest. Autumn has always been my favourite season, but I realise now my previous experience of it has been somewhat impoverished. The trees and shrubs here put on a much better show – deep reds, earthy maroons, bright oranges, startling yellows. I don’t say this lightly. I grew up in the Chilterns, so I thought I knew a thing or two about autumn beauty. The beech woods can be stunning, majestic, exhilarating. But here, the season lasts so much longer, the variety is greater, the display more dramatic, and the weather still summery enough to allow full enjoyment of it.

This afternoon, for example, the Nature Park looked like this (you'll have to click to enlarge to do the colours justice):





















There are always turtles to be seen, paddling along lugubriously or sunning themselves on logs, and a few weeks ago I spotted a muskrat in the water. There are elegant herons, and rather overfed ducks, who swim past hunks of bread floating in the water without even a second glance (this is a Nature Park on the edge of a big city, after all, not the wilderness). Dragonflies and damselflies dart in front of us. Crickets sun themselves on the paths, so old and slow this late in the season that we have to be careful not to tread on them before they leap away. Imagine being able to get close enough to take a photo like this (um... you'll definitely need to click to enlarge that one!).


Large spiders sit in the middle of their enormous webs, and 7-yo, who has been learning about them in science, tells us about their habits, and identifies the different kinds of web.

These are hedge apples, which are such a luminous, almost neon, green that we first told the kids that they were alien brains, fallen out of the sky, (but don’t worry, we only kept that story going for a few minutes – we didn’t want nightmares disturbing their and our sleep). They are solid and large (to give you the scale, this one is pictured in four year old hands), and they make a satisfying splash when lobbed into the creek.

I love this place. For me, it offers the perfect blend of familiarity and novelty. I know my way round the color-coded trails, enough at least to navigate back to the car park by the shortest route if legs are tired, or to promise that we’ll be crossing another creek if hedge apples are being collected. The wildlife and flora still seem exotic to me, though. “Get me” I think to myself, “watching snapping turtles on a Sunday afternoon”, and I tuck the thought away so that in years to come I can say “In America, we used to watch snapping turtles on a Sunday afternoon”. Even the complaining which precedes the trip has developed a comforting feeling of family ritual about it (they complain, but we know from experience that they'll have a good time). It was thus when we lived in Scotland (“why do we ALWAYS have to go to the beach or Tentsmiur?”) and I remember it from the week-ends of my own childhood too. But I couldn’t identify a zipper spider (also known as a writing spider) in those days.

I am very cautious about posting photos on the web, and I guard my family’s anonymity carefully, but I thought this one of our shadows on the water was safe enough.











And, getting brave now, I didn’t think back views could hurt. Here are 7-yo, 11-yo and Husband.


And here is 4-yo.

14 comments:

  1. Fab photos!

    We only ever get the faintest tinge of Autumn here - but I'll take it.

    In light of your recent posts (that I'm only just catching up on) I simply must know - do you say 'Home Deh-poh, or Home Deepoh? Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, God, please tell me you don't say Home Deh-poh.

    (Sorry. Minor post hijack.) I must say, I too, am (re)discovering autumn in the US. It really is rather stunning, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss autumn in the midwest, what I get here north of London does not even come close to as colorful. But it sounds as though you are unlucky to have so little in terms of walking trails and large parks around you. Where I grew up in Minnesota is absolutely teeming with long trails, lots of parks and they're quite large. Sorry to hear that you are not similarly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics! I love the one of your shadows on the water.

    We have lots of walking trails around here - and sadly don't take enough advantage of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippee, photos! Was going to blog on similar subject, anon. Autumn brings it on I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say Home Deepoh. I used to say it with imaginary quotation marks round it, and an inward smile, but now I just say Home Deepoh.

    Of course Homebase, the UK equivalent, wouldn't really work as a name over here, as it has a meaning already from baseball. (Or maybe it would have been a really clever double-meaning, and they should have used it instead of Home Depot.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just commenting the other day that I wish we had places to go for a walk. Apart from the fact that we live in the city, the whole area around here is very flat (The Plains) and fairly uninteresting. However, we are close to the beach, two blocks from a free zoo, a conservatory, a nature Museum and not far from Navy Pier, so I won't complain too much.
    When you grew up with Northunberland it is different though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny that you mention that you miss the wide open countryside in England. It took me ages to get used to the idea of walking through farms etc...on designated paths. I kept asking my husband, "uh...are you sure we aren't going to get shot for this?"

    I also commend your reluctance to have your family exposed in your blog. I feel the same. It's my blog and I'm happy to have pictures of me, but my kids didn't ask for that kind of exposure and I am very careful about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the wheat field - stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Katie, that's not a wheat field (I think the harvest would be done by now). It's a bit of the Nature Park that they reseeded 20 years ago to try and replicate what the prairie would have been like. It makes me feel sad that so much has been lost - you'd think they could have retained a few square miles here and there, out of the huge, huge expanse. (Yes, I know it's easy to romanticise the open country, but it's a shame that it's just gone.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always imagined Husband to be blond, or very tall and bald. I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a beautiful post Iota, really lovely. The colours on that cricket were amazing, it almost looks like a coper sculpture, and your family pics are great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was lovely! The autumn colours, the shadow shot (could be me and my kids) the tantalising back views... I wanted to call out:

    Hey, turn around people, where's your mum? - The funny thoughtful writer, that always makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Chilterns are just coming into their own now. Sorry you are missing it. I'll try to take some pics.

    ReplyDelete