Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Holding out for a hero


Help. I’m all behind with blogging. I’m needing to do that Hallowe’en post and Hallowe’en is already old news, and I want to show you some more fabulous autumn colors - I’ve been out with my camera – but the weather is turning, and if I don’t hurry up, winter will be upon us and autumn will be yesterday’s story.

Today, though, I definitely need to put those on hold and say something about the election, because this morning, who wants to read about anything else?

If I could have voted, I’d have voted for Obama. And this is why. To quote Spiderman, that most admirable of superheroes, “with great power comes great responsibility”. My vote would have gone to the person who grasps that truth.

Now I’m not naïve enough to think that that is the whole story. You have to be ambitious to get to be a presidential candidate – no-one could get there purely for their commitment to public service. The articles on “why Obama won” that I’ve read this morning all talk about the huge amount of money he raised for his campaign. And then even leaders who start out with the common good at heart may turn out to be corrupted by power. All that aside, though, the man does seem to have that quality known as ‘statesmanship’, an awareness of the awesome (in its proper meaning) magnitude of the job, and a vision of a future he wants to help shape. McCain has an impressive track record of service to his country, but I couldn’t credit anyone who sings “bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran” to the tune of Barbara Ann with a serious awareness of what it means to be a world leader. I hear a sigh of relief round the globe this morning, and I add my own breath to it (but quietly, since I'm in a state McCain won).

Spiderman’s costume is both red and blue, but my guess is that in his spidery heart, he is more democrat than republican. Just a hunch.

5 comments:

  1. I never knew that about McCain! Thank God he didn't pull it off....

    I am sure Spidey would be a Democrat. After all he kind of epitomises the underdog in his Peter Parker mode, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, Spiderman is TOTALLY a liberal. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, with you on this one. A very genuine & impassioned voice comes across in Obama's book/biog I think. I'm behind on my halloween post too, but glad you posted on the election. Was pretty exciting, & 'historic' eh?
    If you like West Wing (I'm mad on it. Was. Have watched all 7 series), check out this video link.
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid988092926?bctid=1898343112

    ReplyDelete
  4. The money raising is an interesting one. I think it also shows an amazing sense of discipline, organisation and good planning which are good things when applied to the governing of a country. I watched Obama's victory speech here (it was 1pm on Wednesday and I was late to pick up the 4YO as a result) with tears streaming down my face. Obama brings hope, inspiration and freshness to the party and I had the feeling that the world rejoiced in his election victory. I've been looking forward to your post on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Iota. I can't believe McCain's little, erm, ditty, what an ar*ehole. It must be weird knowing a lot of your neighbours probably voted for him though. Mind you, I voted for Blair. :(

    ReplyDelete